PDA

View Full Version : just got 88 project car suggestions on rebuild

shahoo80
03-20-2005, 10:33 PM
Hello all I am new to this site and have read alot of your posts and there has been alot of good info here. Anyway I just bought an 88 accord and it is smoking at cold start up until it warms up a little and then goes away. I am thinking of rebuild time and looking for suggestions. I am wanting a little more power than stock but do not want to go all out at this time. any suggestions will help thanks in advance.

Immeraufdemhund
03-21-2005, 06:25 AM
do you have a carb or a fuel injected accord?

as for the smoking..what color?

welcome to the site...

as for rebuild...well any rebuild is a pain. I just rebuilt the motor on my 90 accord (which i feel is easier than the a20 motor) and that took me about 3 full days to take out rebuild and put back in (although it took me much longer that is estimated actual time spent working on it) The smoking can come from a few different things. First your valves. If it is those and you have a fuel injected car it is fairly simple to remove your head and get it redone. if you have enough time and patience i remember a post a long time ago, but not much info on a head swap with a b21 motor. I have never seen a b21 in any junk yard or at any dealer so I dont think the motor is too popular, but it comes in a 90-91 honda prelude 2.1 si. If you know were the engine code is just look under the hood and find out. Now that would take some time and make SURE YOU DOCUMENT IT. I wish i didn't get rid of my 2 motors, i might go back and pick up my block so i can find a head that will swap on their.

umm anywho off track... If you dont want to go that far, just do a major tune up.

Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, EGR, Vacuum hoses, Radiator hoses, H2O pump, Thermostat, timing belt, umm maybe a clutch if you have a 5spd.

if you want a small tune up :
plugs, wires, cap, rotor, H20 Pump, Timing belt, Thermostat

either case LOOK AT YOUR TIMING BELT. make sure that thing is not even close to going bad.. ie no oil, no cracks, no chips, not much freeplay. You have an interferance engine, or in other words if it snaps your pistons INTERFERE with your valves.. not good.

more power than stock. I went and got an accell super stock coil ($35) accell 9.0mm wires, bosch plat. 4 plugs, cold air intake (i cheated with that). It helps out your economy and also gives you a little more throttle response.

sorry for the book on it, but let us know some more so we can help you out more.

shahoo80
03-22-2005, 05:25 PM
do you have a carb or a fuel injected accord?

as for the smoking..what color?

welcome to the site...

as for rebuild...well any rebuild is a pain. I just rebuilt the motor on my 90 accord (which i feel is easier than the a20 motor) and that took me about 3 full days to take out rebuild and put back in (although it took me much longer that is estimated actual time spent working on it) The smoking can come from a few different things. First your valves. If it is those and you have a fuel injected car it is fairly simple to remove your head and get it redone. if you have enough time and patience i remember a post a long time ago, but not much info on a head swap with a b21 motor. I have never seen a b21 in any junk yard or at any dealer so I dont think the motor is too popular, but it comes in a 90-91 honda prelude 2.1 si. If you know were the engine code is just look under the hood and find out. Now that would take some time and make SURE YOU DOCUMENT IT. I wish i didn't get rid of my 2 motors, i might go back and pick up my block so i can find a head that will swap on their.

umm anywho off track... If you dont want to go that far, just do a major tune up.

Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, EGR, Vacuum hoses, Radiator hoses, H2O pump, Thermostat, timing belt, umm maybe a clutch if you have a 5spd.

if you want a small tune up :
plugs, wires, cap, rotor, H20 Pump, Timing belt, Thermostat

either case LOOK AT YOUR TIMING BELT. make sure that thing is not even close to going bad.. ie no oil, no cracks, no chips, not much freeplay. You have an interferance engine, or in other words if it snaps your pistons INTERFERE with your valves.. not good.

more power than stock. I went and got an accell super stock coil ($35) accell 9.0mm wires, bosch plat. 4 plugs, cold air intake (i cheated with that). It helps out your economy and also gives you a little more throttle response.

sorry for the book on it, but let us know some more so we can help you out more.

A20A1
03-25-2005, 01:36 PM
Please let us know what type of accord you have LX / DX ( Carbureted ) or LX-I / SE-I ( Fuel Injected )

: Edit Nevermind I saw the title you added... so you figure it's a carb problem. There is a rebuild thread in the How To section of the board.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=5350