PDA

View Full Version : shitty idle on my carbed 88 lx

Mantis88LX
05-04-2002, 07:24 PM
when my car is in drive or reverse it idles shitty, like a little below 1k, as if it wants to stall but doesnt. it doesnt do this when it is in park. i've cleaned the carb, new air filter, checked vaccum hoses, non loose that i could see. what should i do??

ACCORD EX
05-05-2002, 02:34 AM
does it happen when cold or hot ?
BTW the idle should be 700 > 750 RPM !:)

MIKE

Mantis88LX
05-05-2002, 08:46 AM
sorry i dont know the idle crap, all i know is it idles a little below the 1 on the tach, it idles crappy when cold an hot,

CoAsTeR
05-06-2002, 06:23 AM
change the pcv valve...... thats all it was on mine. cost me 200 bucks at the dealership for em' to find that out. I didn't think the pcv made that big of a diff, but apparently it does.

should replace it anyways... its always good to keep a fresh one regardless. cheap simple potential solution to something I thought was maj0r at the time. good luck

CoAsTeR

POS carb
05-06-2002, 09:16 AM
it's always good to change the PCV, they're like $5 or less and also check the screw that's on the rear driver's side of the carb. for boosting the idle (there's a diagram somewhere in FAQ or on my site)

hondaisthebest
05-06-2002, 07:54 PM
Also check your egr valve!

volvohonda83
05-08-2002, 09:16 AM
I got my mechanic to up my idle speed to 900-1000 in drive and about 1200 or so in park mainly so I could run the AC without too much drain to my power (I live in NC, it gets hot!). I don't have any problems with the car running, but in fact get great gas mileage and more power. My car was also running chitty at the old idle speed around 750 (shaking and everything) so that's another reason I got it upped. Try that and see how you like it.

Mantis88LX
05-08-2002, 12:34 PM
spark plug screw thingy on the end had came off and was stuck on the plug wire, fixed now and idle is great

CoAsTeR
05-08-2002, 12:36 PM
good to hear! :)

ACCORD EX
05-08-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Mantis88LX
spark plug screw thingy on the end had came off and was stuck on the plug wire, fixed now and idle is great

i had this same thing stuck on the cable ! the car was working like a 3 cylinder car ! :D

MIKE

POS carb
05-17-2002, 02:06 PM
mike, your car was working worse than a 3 cylinder car because at least on a 3 cylinder the timing of the cylinders is different so that it's not put-put-put-dead-put-put-put-dead- etc
never drive your car with a dead cylinder you can ruin the clylinder from an unbalanced motor and the gasoline being sucked in isn't being burned and it'll mix with the oil and break it down

ACCORD EX
05-17-2002, 11:52 PM
thnx Eric ! but i didn't drove it ! i just noticed it when i started the car ans the idle was really low ! so i checked the wires first because i know they have to be changed ! :)

MIKE

Guyver007
06-09-2002, 02:41 PM
AGHHHHHHHHH TOOO MUCH INFO FOR MY SMALL PEANUT BRAIN.. Check the distributor and rotor for any worn parts on miines its was electrical problems i changed the wires , the spark plugs rotor and distributor cap and it ran fine, but still shaked a bit , i loosend the distributor and moved it a bit , that kinda changes the timeing a bit on the engine and somehow itll stop it from shaking.. my car always has this Hissing sound, ive cheked the vacum hoses tightned all the carb screwes but it still hisses but it wont shake the only shakeing now is the steering wheel, my tires have lumps.. sucks ass when your doing 60 to have a shaky steering wheel and be next to some fine chikes in an eclipse..