PDA

View Full Version : I need a distributor....

blahblahblah
03-21-2005, 02:11 PM
My car died yesterday. Im thinking its the dizzy just becouse of a lot of things that the cars been doing. I went to look at some replacements today. WOW...$200+ at a parts store. And F#$KING HELL...$400+ for OEM honda..Ouch...Am I not looking at something right?..Can I rebuild it or somthing?........Any help would be great.... Thx

AccordEpicenter
03-21-2005, 02:13 PM
junkyard or ebay

Immeraufdemhund
03-21-2005, 03:06 PM
what makes you think it's the dizzy? I have never had one go bad on me. I have an extra one for that car. Mine is from an 87 lxi. I believe it's interchangable, but it would be good for confirmation. I know for sure they bolt up. pm me and if you want it.

POS carb
03-21-2005, 06:39 PM
junkyard replacement, just buy a new cap and rotor for it.
usually the ignitor (little silver box on the distrib) or the coil cause all the trouble, not the distributor. make sure there are 12V at the coil + with the key in the on position

take the coil wire out of the distributor and place it near a good ground (any heavy bolt with no paint) have some one crank the engine over and look for a spark.

a haynes manual will show you how to test the coil and the ignitor with a multimeter

AccordEpicenter
03-21-2005, 07:40 PM
ive had 2 dizzys go out on me... they do go bad fairly often in hondas

smufguy
03-21-2005, 07:41 PM
to see if your dist is firing.

Remove any spark plug wire, Insert a flat head screw driver into it and lay it on any exposed unpainted part of your engine bay, esp the front rad top support bolt. Ask someone to crank it up (u better not touch the screw driver) and see if u see a spart jump from the screw driver to the bolt. do this check on all 4 cyls and if they all have it. Then check ur plugs. IF they are all fine then check on your fuel system.

blahblahblah
03-23-2005, 08:33 AM
Thx for all the info.....I did the spark test right after the car died, Before I even had it towed......I got spark from the coil. but that’s it...I’m going to check if its the rotor or cap..But Im betting its the hole thing. It’s been making this sound like it has rocks rattling around in it for a while...And my tach cant stay still...It bounces all over the place, But the motor isn’t reving with it......

AccordEpicenter
03-23-2005, 08:48 AM
if it makes the rocks in the distributor cap noise then its probably bad wether you get spark or not

smufguy
03-23-2005, 10:47 AM
if it makes the rocks in the distributor cap noise then its probably bad wether you get spark or not

i second Jason's remark. Get a replacement dist and i wish yours was a carb cause i got two carb dists lying around that i can just ship it to you.

Vinny
03-23-2005, 10:48 AM
If you need one I hava spare on the shelf. The wire going to the coil is cut but you can splice it back together with yours.

If you need one let me know

AccordEpicenter
03-23-2005, 11:03 AM
carb dizzys go bad like 1/10th amount of times that the Fuel injection ones go bad

bullard123
03-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Thx for all the info.....I did the spark test right after the car died, Before I even had it towed......I got spark from the coil. but that’s it...I’m going to check if its the rotor or cap..But Im betting its the hole thing. It’s been making this sound like it has rocks rattling around in it for a while...And my tach cant stay still...It bounces all over the place, But the motor isn’t reving with it......

Thats your distributor man. I just replaced mine a week ago. Had the exact same symptoms........... There is one on Ebay right now for 9.99. When you take it ofdf and its a orange rust looking color than it was definately bad.

blahblahblah
04-18-2005, 04:24 PM
If you need one I hava spare on the shelf. The wire going to the coil is cut but you can splice it back together with yours.

If you need one let me know
You have pm

blahblahblah
05-11-2005, 07:52 PM
you still got that spare dizzy Vinny? My bro is coming back and this car is kinda his...I would like to fix it befor hes back...Thx

Bigg_Billy
05-12-2005, 03:38 AM
"A distibutor that sound like rocks inside is like a piece of rotten wood,
It won't get any better!"

blahblahblah
05-15-2005, 08:26 PM
"A distibutor that sound like rocks inside is like a piece of rotten wood,
It won't get any better!"
ok?

rosenfield.9
05-17-2005, 09:28 PM
There's one on ebay for $9.00 plus $10.00 shipping, buy it now for $25.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7974992394&category=6763

Good Luck

PS. This is not my auction

blahblahblah
05-31-2005, 06:15 PM
I missed it....Anyone got one thay part with? All the yard ones Iv found look like shit...How do I test them to see if thay work?

EDIT: I found a new one for $180 or close to it the other day....But damnit..Now I cant find it.....BAH

blahblahblah
06-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Ok...I got a new....well newer dizzy on now...The car still wonted start...and it made a loud screeching sound now....so I took the dizzy back off, ..Thinking it was a bad one...While doing so, I noticed that the rotor was still were I put it...My damn timing belt is broke...Its gone...I was going about 20 to 30mph when the car died....Cant tell if I bent anything with the valve cover off....This screeching noise is new...The car sat for about two months...I really cant tell what it is or where its comeing from..did a baring freeze from sitting? A friend sez it might be the water pump...I really hope so...

A20A1
06-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Well take the T-belt cover off and check the belt and check the cam-flywheel alligment, you can turn the crank by hand. Just remove the plugs to prevent compression in the cylinders.

The water pup seizing will make that sound
Did you check your fluid levels, oil/water?

blahblahblah
06-10-2005, 03:35 PM
I didnt check any fluids...What would I be looking for?...I took the cover off and the t-belt is not even there..On the road I bet..and as for the cam-flywheel alligment...you men the pullys..see if their in line right and not bent?