PDA

View Full Version : Doing my own z3 fenders

3gn86lxi
03-22-2005, 12:16 AM
I am getting z3 inserts, for hella cheap, like $20. We are going to pull my fenders, cut the hole and glass the inserts into the fenders.
I know there have been posts bout z3 fenders lately, this way I know the fenders will fit. ( not shitty fitting fiberglass!!!!)
Should be hott, for a fraction of glass fenders. I'll let you guys know how they work, and how many hours a body shop SHOULD charge.

frankie89
03-22-2005, 07:38 AM
cool keep us updated.. cant wait to see final outcome..

hondamanlxi
03-22-2005, 05:48 PM
i think it will come out looking good!

ive only seen z3's once on a 3rd gen! Im looking for some more subtle body mods

myaccord7
03-22-2005, 08:29 PM
that will be cool

zach

Mike's89AccordLX
03-22-2005, 10:47 PM
Just get a dremel an cut some [ [ [ slots in the fenders and push the tab in and put some paint on it and it will save a bunch of money. I think millitarymase did this to his famous electron blue 3g accord.

3gn86lxi
03-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Just get a dremel an cut some [ [ [ slots in the fenders and push the tab in and put some paint on it and it will save a bunch of money. I think millitarymase did this to his famous electron blue 3g accord.
Those are called louvers, Mike. lol.... militarymase actually just cut his fenders and painted them??? Wow.
It's not going to cost me anything to put these in anyway.

88Accord-DX
03-22-2005, 11:08 PM
Here ***edit**
no longer a member & won't post again.

SQ is the SQUAD
03-23-2005, 07:26 AM
on a serious note josias (hondaman87) made his own fenders, they came out pretty nice, and he has a supra window spoiler on his car

NXRacer
03-23-2005, 08:20 AM
alrighty guys. enough whoring. the point of this post was that he's going to put them on his car. Everybody is going to have opinions about what looks good or not. Keep your smart remarks to yourself d00ds. :D

:mod:

Vinny
03-23-2005, 09:53 AM
Thread cleaned up and BS removed. For those of you that had threads removed they were either not pertinent to the thread or didn’t make sense after the BS was removed.

Chicane and Mike...

You 2 need to steer clear of each other and stop antagonizing each other. On that note to can both consider yourselves warned. Any more BS and someone will be taking a little vacation. Mike, if we wanted you to moderate the board we'd make you a mod. Take it for what its worth

ddude2uc, Do you have some kind of hero trip or what? Please mind your own business. It’s getting a little old seeing you trying to come to everyone else’s rescue and involving yourself in things that aren’t your concern. As I told Mike, if we wanted you to moderate the board we'd make you a mod. Consider yourself warned as well.

Chicane
03-23-2005, 10:32 AM
I have a question... why everything remotely critical of this mod removed, and everything positive was left? I'm not trying to tell you how to moderate, but it seems kinda biased in the fact that it now looks like we all blow sunshine up each other's ying yangs. Just a question...

Vinny
03-23-2005, 10:38 AM
I think I summed up why things were removed in the post I made.

I am not questioning your intelligence nor am I questioning your literacy. If you had read my earlier post the answer would be clear as to what was removed and why.

Comments about adding a wing or stickers, calling a persons car rice, giving YOUR definition of rice, or trying to intentionally aggrivate people have nothing to do with a person starting a thread about a z3 fender mod.

If you don’t like the way the board is run then feel free to post elsewhere

Just an answer.

This thread has drifted off enough. If ANYONE, not just the 3 members I previously mentioned have a problem with cleaning it up OR cracking down on whats been going on feel free to speak to me persoanlly. My PM box has pleanty of free space

3gn86lxi
03-23-2005, 07:23 PM
Boy I sure missed alot today!!! Thanks Vinny for trying to keep it civil round here.
I will keep folks updated.

3gn86lxi
03-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Here ***edit**
no longer a member & won't post again.
And I hope not Dereck. :sad2:

3gn86lxi
04-04-2005, 10:30 PM
O.K. Pulling my fenders tomorrow(hopefully) and work should begin! Should be done in a coupl of days.
I'll get some pictures in progress.

88Accord-DX
04-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Send them to me, I'll host them for you Ryan. :)

-Dereck-

3gn86lxi
04-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Send them to me, I'll host them for you Ryan. :)

-Dereck-
K I'll send em as I get them.
Thanks Dereck

3gn86lxi
04-06-2005, 07:32 PM
O.K. Pulling my fenders tomorrow(hopefully) and work should begin! Should be done in a coupl of days.
MMMMMM...yeah, painter got real busy, so as usual, put mine off. :sad2: But as soon as we make progress, you guys will be the first to see it!

3gn86lxi
05-04-2005, 08:07 PM
ALRIGHT, finally moving on these. I ended up buying BRAND NEW cappa certified fenders to do this so I won't have any down time. Got one cut and into the fender today, should do final body work tomorrow and get it in primer.
Ho fing ra!!!
Anyway, I'm going to have ddude2uc host pis later so you guys can see it. Let me know what you think.
~Ryan~
Couple new pics on the cardomain link, page # 6 check it out.

88Accord-DX
05-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Here you go Ryan. Looks like your coming along pretty good. Where you get them new fenders at?

3gn86lxi
05-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Here you go Ryan. Looks like your coming along pretty good. Where you get them new fenders at?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/Ryanfender3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/Ryanfender2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/Ryanfender1.jpg
Parts Channel. Auto body supplier.
And I have to say to Dereck, thanks again bro! :alc:

bullard123
05-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Man they are turning out real good. What's the estimate on the total time it takes to make a set?

A20A1
05-06-2005, 12:48 PM
looks good. :)

3gn86lxi
05-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Man they are turning out real good. What's the estimate on the total time it takes to make a set?
That one is done and in primer right now. I would say we put an hour and a half in the one fender.
We are actually talking about selling these, so if anyone is interested in all metal z3 fenders let me know. We can even send them PAINTED ready to bolt on, these are Cappa certified fenders also. Which means they will fit like oem.

bullard123
05-06-2005, 04:05 PM
That one is done and in primer right now. I would say we put an hour and a half in the one fender.
We are actually talking about selling these, so if anyone is interested in all metal z3 fenders let me know. We can even send them PAINTED ready to bolt on, these are Cappa certified fenders also. Which means they will fit like oem.

That sounds good. How much will you be selling them for??

3gn86lxi
05-06-2005, 04:12 PM
For the set in primer ready for paint it would be $250. Painted would be around $350 depending on the paint, if it's a tri stage color it will be a little more.

bullard123
05-06-2005, 04:20 PM
For the set in primer ready for paint it would be $250. Painted would be around $350 depending on the paint, if it's a tri stage color it will be a little more.

Any discounts for 3gee members?

3gn86lxi
05-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Any discounts for 3gee members?
I can ask, depends on the painters mood!
But I will try.

bullard123
05-06-2005, 04:32 PM
I can ask, depends on the painters mood!
But I will try.

Alright sounds good. But if not the primered ones will be just as good due to the fact that I'm going to get another paint job this summer.

3gn86lxi
05-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Keep in mind too guys, I can do this to ANY fender.

Luis 89LXi
05-06-2005, 11:01 PM
:rockon: Good Job !!! :rockon:

which kind of glue did you use??? No look like fiberglass (fiberglass could crack due vibrations).

Is that the glue used on chassis to avoid corrosion on welds ?

3gn86lxi
05-06-2005, 11:11 PM
I think it is called problem plastic. Mainly used for plastic bumper repair, it stays flexible. I will put finished pics up soon. It looks awsome.

88Accord-DX
05-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Get some prices for the services rendered. ;)

Mattphi
05-07-2005, 10:12 AM
looks like they are going to turn out great man, cant wait to see some final pix

Forgar_88
05-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Yes! another step toward some cool shizz for our cars! Wish the aftermarket would get on the bandwagon. Nice job on the fenders man

2drSE-i
05-07-2005, 10:34 PM
i agree! if i only knew how to put on fenders :(

oh or if these wudnt cost me 50 hours at shitty ass work

(5.50 an hour sucks)

LiTtLe xOx BitT
05-16-2005, 10:57 AM
$250? thats a lot. I talked to a guy willing to give me the same fenders made out of fiberglass, primered and shipped for $225.

3gn86lxi
05-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Dude.......fiberglass fenders fit like ass!! Ask anyone who has tried to fit one, they will say the same thing.
Let me know how yours fit, cause I know mine will fit like factory. ;)

PikesPeak3G
05-16-2005, 05:00 PM
I would jump on a set for $250 in a heartbeat. Those really do look good. Nice job. :rockon:

bullard123
05-16-2005, 05:46 PM
Dude.......fiberglass fenders fit like ass!! Ask anyone who has tried to fit one, they will say the same thing.
Let me know how yours fit, cause I know mine will fit like factory. ;)

I think she is a Woman. :)

3gn86lxi
05-16-2005, 06:12 PM
I think she is a Woman. :)
Yeah, now that you mention it bullard, I see the name.
K.....dudette. Hows that?

3gn86lxi
06-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Well, It has been a bit. And the painter/bodyman is back from his hip replacement! So my other fender will be done soon, and paint will be happening too.
I'm not sure if he wants to just do the fenders for now, or if he wants to paint the whole car. But we are going to use some huge flake in the paint :) with the factory blue. It's a new flake thats actually made from glass crystals, it looks HOT.... we used some on a Ford Probe, put on your sunglasses in the sun!
Anyway, I'm happy and I'll get new pics up quick.

3rdGenHatchBack
06-12-2005, 11:13 AM
OMG......please do not put a flake job on your poor, poor accord....

Busted_Blue
06-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Well, It has been a bit. And the painter/bodyman is back from his hip replacement! So my other fender will be done soon, and paint will be happening too.
I'm not sure if he wants to just do the fenders for now, or if he wants to paint the whole car. But we are going to use some huge flake in the paint :) with the factory blue. It's a new flake thats actually made from glass crystals, it looks HOT.... we used some on a Ford Probe, put on your sunglasses in the sun!
Anyway, I'm happy and I'll get new pics up quick.

I love the blue! Don't change it!

3gn86lxi
06-17-2005, 10:24 PM
Don't fear Dereck, it will still be blue.
And it's not like fishing boat flake, but that would be cool too!
Its basically a different style of metallic flake in the clear. It will look factory till you get close....then the flake will blind you!!
The new booth is almost done, so paint will be soon :) .

daamizin1
07-03-2005, 12:26 AM
About these z3 fenders. Anyone can do them, all you have to do is go to the junkyard and find a pair of fenders in good shape for pretty cheap (or if you feel confident you can use your ones from your car). Then pay the $25 for the inserts off of ebay. Measure up the hole for the insert and cut it out and put the insert in. Then just bondo around the edges of the inserts and sand down smooth so it looks like they have always been there.

3gn86lxi
07-03-2005, 09:47 AM
About these z3 fenders. Anyone can do them, all you have to do is go to the junkyard and find a pair of fenders in good shape for pretty cheap (or if you feel confident you can use your ones from your car). Then pay the $25 for the inserts off of ebay. Measure up the hole for the insert and cut it out and put the insert in. Then just bondo around the edges of the inserts and sand down smooth so it looks like they have always been there.
Well, yes and no. You car really butcher a set of fenders if you don't know what you are doing. And these inserts are desingned to be on the outside of the fender, so if you want them to be flush like mine are, it takes alot of molding in and time.
You will see the finished product soon. Hopefully in two weeks, just wiating on the painter :sad2:

88accordalltheway
07-03-2005, 07:09 PM
fyi guys, im getting carbon fiber fenders from creativeautodesign, with the z3 insert. Im just waiting for him to call me back and tell me there done. Honestly, this mod isnt nearly as ricy as some.

3gn86lxi
07-03-2005, 10:51 PM
fyi guys, im getting carbon fiber fenders from creativeautodesign, with the z3 insert. Im just waiting for him to call me back and tell me there done. Honestly, this mod isnt nearly as ricy as some.
Well....I already have a CF hood, and fenders would too much. imo
And I do agree, I don't think z3's are rice at all.

88accordalltheway
07-04-2005, 12:14 AM
Well....I already have a CF hood, and fenders would too much. imo
And I do agree, I don't think z3's are rice at all.
well, i have a cf hood too, but right now im tenativly planning on painting both the hood and fenders, but leave the small part on the hood where the cowl raises cf, as well as the z3 part of the feder left for cf. Everything else will be painted. The reason i say tenative is because the cf matches so well with the color of my car(grey), that you have to be within 10 feet to actually tell that its cf.
I can post pics, but i think ive whored this guy's thread enough. Oh yea, i probably wouldnt have gotten the fenders, but i couldnt pass them up cause they are going to be free.
Input?

3gn86lxi
07-04-2005, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=88accordalltheway]. Oh yea, i probably wouldnt have gotten the fenders, but i couldnt pass them up cause they are going to be free.
QUOTE]
Free is a good price Kevin, I would get them too for that price! But I worry about fitment with CF also, since it would be similar to a fiber glass fender. And don't worry about whoring the thread man, everyone is welcome to comment. I will get pics up as soon as I get my car back, I can't wait! New paint!!!wooooohoooo

3rdCoast
07-07-2005, 12:06 PM
do the carbon fiber hoods made for our cars fit like crap? im thinkin about gettin one from eccmotorsports.com

3gn86lxi
07-07-2005, 12:44 PM
do the carbon fiber hoods made for our cars fit like crap? im thinkin about gettin one from eccmotorsports.com
Just make sure it's a grade A hood. Mine fits like factory.

88accordalltheway
07-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Just make sure it's a grade A hood. Mine fits like factory.
same here, but adam(he had it before me) said it didnt fit too well on his car.

3gn86lxi
07-07-2005, 07:52 PM
same here, but adam(he had it before me) said it didnt fit too well on his car.
thats weird, cause I got mine from Jays89lxi from the board, and it fit O.K. on his car. But it fits perfect on mine.
So I think it kindof varies from car to car.
But I still will say get a grade A, it has a better chance of fitting good as a grade A hood.