PDA

View Full Version : vac advance test? and reading ECU

jayshonda
03-22-2005, 06:53 AM
getting some lag and stuter up to 3000 rpm. very small amount of red dust under plastic thingy in dist. sucking on vac advance hose and i can see the plate turn a little. sucking on the other hose causes it to move a little in oposiet direction. is this a good test of the vac advance? how much should it move?

also, haven't checked the ECU codes yet. looking at the directions which were posted here for reading the lights, am i right that if i see one blink or two, it is the O2 sensors? What is a normal indication? No blinks or light on solid? What if say, the map sensor is bad, which would be indicated by 5 blinks and the O2 sensors were also suspect? Does it blink once, then a second series of blinks for the map sensor? On my audi, it reads the codes through the climate control panel and actually displays numbers, followed by a 0 or 1, indiated good or bad. How does the honda work for multiple simptoms?

shepherd79
03-22-2005, 07:30 AM
it will blick for one code only
after you fix one problem, and reset ECU it will blink for another problem if still have a problem with other sensors.

jayshonda
03-22-2005, 07:34 AM
what is normal (no problem) indication?

if there is a problem, when does it start blinking? when key is on? or when engine is started?

how do you reset it?

if there are multiple problems, (use my example bad O2 and bad map). does it blink once for just the O2? or does it blink 5 times for map?

it will blick for one code only
after you fix one problem, and reset ECU it will blink for another problem if still have a problem with other sensors.

shepherd79
03-22-2005, 08:29 AM
1. the normal mode for ECU is to have no lights light up.
2. it will blink when you sturn the key in to ON or start the motor. I would start the motor just to make sure.
3. to reset ECU, pull out the fuses #10 and #11. they are located in a fuse box under the hood.
4. if there are multiple problems, it will show first problem untill you fix the problem. it can't not show more than one problem.

smufguy
03-22-2005, 09:15 AM
red dust is the sign of distributor going bad. I suggest you keep a look out for a replacement. ALso, next time please hit a search. I think you are the 4th person in the past 3 days to have a similar problem.

If any problem like this happens under 3k, usually its either too much ignition retardation or the car just running too rich or fuel filter being clogged.

jayshonda
03-22-2005, 09:57 AM
how much should the dist plate rotate when you suck on the hose? i only mentioned the red dust because it was minimal. on the lag under 3k, once the distributer / advance is ruled out, you're describing two conditions (too rich) or clogged filter (too lean). so you saying can be either too lean or too rich?

QUOTE=smufguy]red dust is the sign of distributor going bad. I suggest you keep a look out for a replacement. ALso, next time please hit a search. I think you are the 4th person in the past 3 days to have a similar problem.

If any problem like this happens under 3k, usually its either too much ignition retardation or the car just running too rich or fuel filter being clogged.[/QUOTE]

shepherd79
03-22-2005, 10:03 AM
the movement of the vacuum part of the distributor is very small. it only advances a few deg.
you need to get timing light and check your timing. your distributor may be out of OEM setting.

smufguy
03-22-2005, 08:28 PM
you're describing two conditions (too rich) or clogged filter (too lean). so you saying can be either too lean or too rich?

clogged filter does not mean ur running lean. It means ur just not getting enoug fuel hence the engine cant run too high since ur just pumping pretty much nothing thru the injectors. The idling fuel pressure is something like 30 or what not and at WOT its 36 - 39 psi stock. IF you wanna lean out, u can run like 34 psi. but on a clogged filter, u will be getting like around 20 to 25 at WOT and that is after the fuel filter, not before.The technicality behind it is too crazy, but take my word for it. I had that experience and it was begining of the problem, then it progressed thru the entire power band and it just ran like a lawnmower but once in a while would run right. After the fuel filter change, it ran perfectly fine.