PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Exhausts

ICEMAN707
03-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Obviously, if you put an aftermarket exhaust system on, it's going to make the car louder. Cops seem to be anal about loud exhausts so is there a way to make the car quiet without going back to stock piping size and mufflers and more importantly, not diminish performance? Maybe add resonators? My car is loud at open throttle like 2 big 15" subs humming at deep tone. Not that weedwacker mosquito sounding crap. I just want it quiet enough to have that nice modest throaty sound like BMW aftermarket exhausts.

Also, not only the cops, but the loud exhaust whine going down the highway on a longer trip kinda gets to you after awhile of having the exhaust system for years. I don't see why cops make a big deal out of it though, there are so many harleys, domestic cars/trucks w/ flowmaster exhausts out there. Do they have a problem with imports or something?

RobT5580
03-22-2005, 04:10 PM
As much as i hate pacesetter it was quite enough to not get you in trouble. If i recall it sounded ok in the upper RPM's but its been awhile. Im kinda in that situation again because i thought my exhaust would be quite with the turbo but it seemed loud enough to attract cops. Im probably going to have to fix it because my girlfriends town is rediculous and will nab me the first chance they get.

AccordNut
03-22-2005, 04:26 PM
yeah the pacesetter is fairly quiet til about 3.5-4k, but i wouldnt mess with it i know they make silencers for aftermarket mufflers w/o too much restriction

frankie89
03-22-2005, 04:44 PM
yeah silencers work ok they bring down the tone to a quiet humm.. and yes they do have a problem with imports..The problem is that todays tuned imports can outrun certain patrol cars, thats why they hate imports..

NXRacer
03-22-2005, 04:45 PM
get a good high-flowing baffled muffler, or put a couple of good resonators in-line. a muffler shop would know what to do to get the least amount of sound with the most amount of power.

A20A1
03-22-2005, 04:46 PM
I agree with a nice long resonator.

Also dual out seem to be quieter or deeper then single out mufflers but I haven't had more the 4 different ones to compare... and all on different cars.

Hash_man_Se_i
03-22-2005, 05:27 PM
If you want to make it quieter add some resonators in your piping, that should help quite a bit, and shouldnt cost too much.

Otherwise, i know you have those dual twin tip mufflers... maybe splurge a bit and get some Remus mufflers... I had one on my Accord and it sounded soooo good, and it wasnt loud at all with the pacesetter piping. I also drove it on the highway a fair bit, and while my other friends got to the destination with headaches i was perfectly fine.

mykwikcoupe
03-22-2005, 10:08 PM
supertrapp. Just get as long of one as you can. I love them and swear by them myself. Change whatever note you eant and with all the endcaps and such customizing is easy.

blahblahblah
03-23-2005, 08:58 AM
What do you have on it now?..I had 2.5 from the motor back to a D50 flowmaster, no cat...It was a little loud...I just put a 15" glasspack(resonator) where the cat should of been...less noise. same power.....

Vinny
03-23-2005, 09:16 AM
I have a 36" resonator on the coupe. Its welded right to the end of my DC Header and replaces the cat. It cut out almost all the resonate noise and gave the car a quieter deeper tone.

RobT5580
03-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Maybe i will give that a try but im sure 3" resonators wont be cheap. I wouldnt care if cops around here were so bad. Every time i hit a DUI check point i get a ticket for crap on my car which is BS.

Vinny
03-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Rob you heard it last year. It was what I had on the hatch. I just pulled it to put on the coupe and has the end lengthened a few inches. The resonator isnt as expensive as you may think. Mines actually a 36" glass pack but when I get my new exhaust and get rid of the DC I plan to use a 36" Magnaflow tube muffler

ICEMAN707
03-23-2005, 09:06 PM
What do you have on it now?..I had 2.5 from the motor back to a D50 flowmaster, no cat...It was a little loud...I just put a 15" glasspack(resonator) where the cat should of been...less noise. same power.....

I'm running a DC Sports header, 2.5 inch piping all the way back, Carsound high-flow catalytic converter, Y split 2.5" piping duals with stainless steel dual tipped muffers.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/379000-379999/379946_178_full.jpg

A20A1
03-23-2005, 09:29 PM
hey where is more pics of your car. :) I haven't seen it yet.... or at least not clear ones like this.

ICEMAN707
03-23-2005, 09:56 PM
go to my cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/id/iceman707 look in page 7

Mike's89AccordLX
03-23-2005, 10:24 PM
That looks hot!!!! How does it perform with the 2.5" piping? Very nice keep it up man!

ICEMAN707
03-23-2005, 10:28 PM
That looks hot!!!! How does it perform with the 2.5" piping? Very nice keep it up man!

it flows REALLY good and the dual mufflers sounds really good. which is why i wanna keep it as it is, but unfortunately the cops around here are asses so i need to tone it down a notch hopefully without sacrificing hp.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-23-2005, 10:32 PM
I think the dual tips are better than the big cannon. My stock muffler on my prelude is dual tipped and I like how they look.

On a side note I saw a civic today that had dual exhaust but with cannons and it sounded bad.

I think I need to put a big resonator on my accord. I dont have any on my exhaust. And I suppose it doesnt help that I have a test pipe on :)