PDA

View Full Version : which octane do you use?

phatazzDX
08-05-2002, 12:41 PM
I run 87. Anyone notice better engine responce with higher octane?

87accordlxi
08-05-2002, 12:44 PM
i use what my car was designed for. 87

Chris86Lxi
08-05-2002, 12:45 PM
I like to use 89. It's mid-grade. And it's only like .5cents more per gallon.

Chris

3_GENCYCO
08-05-2002, 01:57 PM
MID GRADE, 89 OCTANE.

hondaman87
08-05-2002, 02:32 PM
I run a 93 octane its

Coitis1
08-05-2002, 02:46 PM
i noticed my bro picked up this can of "The Outlaw: Super Concentrated Octane Booster." How effective is this stuff?

markmdz89hatch
08-06-2002, 10:22 AM
i run 89 in my 3G with nothin but synthetic fluids.

Coitis1 --> That outlaw stuff won't do much of anything to a 3g except burn out the injectors (that's bad), if it's even an EFI. I have a '90 300ZX that I use that exact same stuff in, but that car was built to run off 93 octane, and with performance mods to the engine, I am able to safely and effectively use that octane booster on every other fill up. The other thing to keep in mind is that especially with a car as old as our 3geez, our gas tanks should not be subject to all that extra chemical which can harm that too.

I hope that this helps out. I am not the most technical by any means, but that's what I've concluded from some articles, and from asking that same question.

DBMaster
08-06-2002, 11:46 AM
I only use 89 because my car pings on 87 in the hot summer. I can get away with 87 in the winter. I do not notice any real difference in performance, idle quality, or fuel economy, just a lack of pinging (which can be bad in the long term)

smufguy
08-06-2002, 11:57 AM
i heard that ppl use higher octane on lower octance vehicles to just loosen and get all thse build up in either their fuel line, fuel hoses or injectors. but burning the injectors out is a new thing i just heard. its quite interesting.

Thunderstorm
08-06-2002, 01:35 PM
:super: :super: :super: :super:

My 3G Honda Accord PGM-Fi 2.0i-16 DOHC "Codename: Firestorm" has a small sign on the inside of the petrol access flap specifying that the car MUST use 97 RON octane fuel, what we refer to in the UK as "Super Unleaded".

Unlike the previous user, this is what I use exclusively.
It's pricey, but the nearest thing to Rocket Fuel. I think.
Jeep Cheeroke's / Laredo's with 4.0L engines have the same stuff specified for them over here.

The rewards?
Bat out of hell performance, and then some.
Blistering acceleration, spin those front wheels without even trying. First off at the lights, lift off like Concorde.....
Outrun virtually all other cars your age, and most of the new ones too!!
Upset a few expensive modern vehicles by sticking behind them like glue when on a motorway. Or suddenly leaving them eating your dust when you decide you've had enough of toying with them.
That giant smug grin on your face, when they finally catch up at the next traffic lights!!

The Downside:
Relatively lower MPG's than when you use ordinary fuel while driving in the city. Motorway MPG's are OK!!

City driving? I get average 22 miles per gallon.
The Handbook for my car (and road tests from 1988 magazine) actually specify 21 MPG so I am not complaining.
Have Super DOHC PGM-Fi engine? Will do like the Millenium Falcon.
You can get more MPG's of course, but it entails crawling everywhere at the speed of a slug.

2 Years on 97 Octane, and "Firestorm" hasn't missed a beat.
Gotta lurve that fuel.
I give "Tanks". It's fuelish not to.

Paul Xavier Green

:super: :super: :super: