PDA

View Full Version : building carb intake

staticpat
08-05-2002, 12:56 PM
sine ive finally fixed my oil leak, im, gonna start on my long awaited intake. ive got a k&n cone air filter with 2.5 inch inlet, 2.5 inch flexible exhaust piping, and some clamps. now i just need to figure out how i can make a good airbox, that will fit under the hood. anyone have any ideas? its not gonna be cold air for now, just a short intake. if it comes out good and works, maybe ill right a howto.

1988starter
08-05-2002, 01:54 PM
I remember A20A1 made one with a cup 2 screwholes and a inlet he welded on you should checkout his website

<======( ) kind of like this yea I know the drawing sucks.

doug
08-05-2002, 02:00 PM
well, you need a base, I guess round, slightly larger than 3 1/4 "
I.D. , cut to the right height so that you can use the screen plate
that is stock to secure it to the carb itself, then a shelf cut to the
O.D. of the base, mounted to the base slightly lower than the top, but high enough to be above the float screw and the vapor vent assembly, and then the box itself mounted on the shelf. I have not drawn up any pix yet, but I've been thinking about this
also. Ideally all this would be some type of metal, which is gonna be hard to do without custom fab, but maybe a real hard plastic would work, something that will withstand the temps. yeah, do a how-to so I'll be able to finally figure it out.

A20A1
08-05-2002, 04:32 PM
the damn top hat of the carb is riddled with screw holes and ports... it's a bit hard to mount a flat metal peice to the carb... I just made a wall for the right side of the carb and the left side had the outlet so I made a flat base that extended beyond the throttle linkage and choke.

doug
08-06-2002, 04:00 AM
I did some really rough drawings of my idea on this. what holds the assembled box to the carb is the two screws & screen that is stock on the carb. the screen when tightened will clamp down on the base of the box. The top of the box will be able to be removed in order to remove the base. Like I said, very quick drawing this a.m. to give a idea of where I'm coming from. Hope that it is understandable.

http://87accord.com/image/carbbox.jpg

A20A1
08-06-2002, 07:42 AM
So you are making a base plate?

The trouble with the base plate it the float screw and the float bowl vent tube... the left side of the carb is pretty clear or obstructions though.

the nicest intake was made by JDBallin... his used the cup and the flexable exhaust pipe...

but the inlet for the intake isn't as big as I would have made it.

his intake is for sale I believe

staticpat
08-06-2002, 08:34 AM
i was contemplating the cup idea, but how does it lock on top of the carb? or does it just cover it without being tight?

o crap, i just reliazed that a20a1, your the one who showed me this picture of the intake with the cup and flexible pipe about 2 months ago. that basically what im trying to make.

http://home.cyberarmy.com/enygma/accord/carb_intake.jpg

dXsquared
08-06-2002, 08:53 AM
why not just use the stock air box, build up the rim so it touches the hood, split some rubber fuel line and run it around the rim, build a scoop and then voila, you have a functional hood scoop. thats what im thinkin of doin.
Travis

Flyguy125
08-06-2002, 11:19 AM
hey staticpat what kind of tubing did u but and where did u b it from?

Flyguy125
08-06-2002, 11:21 AM
i meant to say what kind of tubing did u buy and where did u buy it from?

staticpat
08-06-2002, 12:28 PM
im gonna try to build a cup to go over top of it, with a link off to the side for the pipe, but how tall can it be? im gonna go to lowes and try to find something. also what do i do with all the vaccums and crap i unhooked?

oh and you can get the flexible exhaust tubing from any automotive store, its used for repairing tailpipes.

shepherd79
08-06-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
why not just use the stock air box, build up the rim so it touches the hood, split some rubber fuel line and run it around the rim, build a scoop and then voila, you have a functional hood scoop. thats what im thinkin of doin.
Travis

i have to agree with you man, i think this is the way to go on carbed accord.
i don't think it is going to be hard. i think i am gonna try on my spare accord. if it is gonna work i will do on my car.
the only problem i see is that how are you going to clean that air.
you will have to find somekind flat airfilter or something like that.

doug
08-06-2002, 01:46 PM
got a question on the hood scoop idea, what happens when it rains or you wash the car?

1988starter
08-06-2002, 01:58 PM
their are foam filters you can put in a hood scoop to keep out rain.

dXsquared
08-06-2002, 02:32 PM
you can put a screen over the carb opening and put some porus
foam in the scoop. i think i may do this soon
Travis

staticpat
08-06-2002, 06:23 PM
ok im done, i made a cup out of some tin air conditioning stuff, and have another piece out the side to the piping. i sealed all the holes with muffler repair goo. now what do i do with all the vaccums and other tubes i disconnected, the car stalls out after 2 seconds. i know i dont need the cold start sensor or the tube from the exhaust manifold, and i can put a breather on the tube that comes out the valve cover, but what about the others? thanksss

staticpat
08-07-2002, 10:31 AM
ok all done fixing the connections. heres the intake, go to carb tech section for descriptions of what i did with the tubes. man this intake works good, huge increase in power, and the engine bay looks cooler, i would reccomend it to all.

http://home.cyberarmy.com/enygma/accord/intake.jpg

http://home.cyberarmy.com/enygma/accord/intake2.jpg

staticpat
08-09-2002, 09:46 AM
im vain so im gonna make this go back to the top

A20A1
08-09-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79

i have to agree with you man, i think this is the way to go on carbed accord.
i don't think it is going to be hard. i think i am gonna try on my spare accord. if it is gonna work i will do on my car.
the only problem i see is that how are you going to clean that air.
you will have to find somekind flat airfilter or something like that.

Thats what you get when you try to bring the air cleaner to the air and no the air to the air cleaner.

it you were to cut a large rectangular hole in the front or rear of the filter box lid. you could then rivit an extension to meet the hood... still using the fuel line to act as a soft gasket.

this would work best with a subaru style hood scoop because they have a rectangular base.

seal off the other intake port on the air box... and seal off the PCV filter... buy a smaller filter and stick it on the vlave cover.

Guyver007
08-10-2002, 08:46 AM
I know i may be a lil late on this post but wouldnt it be cool if someone just opened a hole in there hood and connect one of those cone filters to the carb. just like that HEHEHEHHE ..>=P