PDA

View Full Version : No spark when wet

87accordlxph
03-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Hi guys

I have this weird problem everytime it rains out and under the hood is damp that I get no spark from my yellow accel coil. I don't understand why that is because when the motor is dry it all starts up fine.

I checked the cap and it's fine. Tuned up everything. Wires, plugs, you name it. Gas line antifreeze. Fuel is good. Got the air lid box flipped upside down.

Is my Accel coil on the fritz or do I have a bad ground? or even it's my radio noise condensor? I have no clue.

If anyone out there knows please let me know.

Oh ya one thing that I forgot to mention is that the fuel pump does make the 2 sec prime and then that's about it. No other noises? Oh maybe it's the fuel cut off relay?

Thanks

-Mike

leia
03-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Its the 3g?
Cuz my roommate last year had a 4g that wouldn't start when it was wet out, I don't know why though.

A20A1
03-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Leia It could be the " Main Relay (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=7188) " if it was a 4G accord

I dunno about the coil going bad... I would check the coil boot to make sure it's sealing properly... this is to prevent the spark from jumping to a terminal on the coil instead of going to the sparkplug.

87accordlxph
03-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Leia It could be the " Main Relay (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=7188) " if it was a 4G accord

I dunno about the coil going bad... I would check the coil boot to make sure it's sealing properly... this is to prevent the spark from jumping to a terminal on the coil instead of going to the sparkplug.

MIKE!!!!

Hahaha! OMG!!!! :bowrofl:

DING DING DING!!!!

Mike your da man!!!! :rockon:

Got it bang on!

That was the problem!

To ensure that the coil wire fitted on the neck of that Accel coil, I had to slit the boot of the coil wire to about half way or just enough to get it to slip on the coil neck.

That went well for about maybe 1 year and now when I poured water down the neck of the coil where I slit the boot, the car died right away. What a neat trick to ensure proper seal and condition of the spark wires! WOW. Ya learn something new everyday.

I also poured some water near the cap and it was fine until water went thru the end of the wires and landed on the other end of the coil wire and then the car "bogged" down just a bit so I pushed the coil boot in more towards the cap did the test again and it was fine.

This is what may have cause some hesitation on acceleration in the rain because of all this.

Just a simple fix to ensure a good seal where I slit the boot was to put electrical tape around it then some shipping tape so that the water basically displaced itself.

Thanks once again Mike!

-Mike from P-town!

A20A1
03-24-2005, 08:57 PM
I should probably add that into the how-to section for the coil install... cause I used electrical tape over the boots as well.

ekntra
10-03-2005, 11:25 PM
i had a similar problem, not that bad though, it wouldn't run on more than 3 cylinders in a rainy day, had to change 2 of the plug-wires now its all good