PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Oil

88' Accord Ltd
08-05-2002, 01:55 PM
I have an 88 honda accord limited, owenr tells me since it was new he has used synthetic oils should i continue using the synthetic oil or is there any harm in switching to regular?

dosh8er
08-05-2002, 04:29 PM
There is no harm in switching over to conventional oil from synthetic. You could continue using synthetic if you wanted, as long as there weren't any leaks, and everything else was in good condition (i.e. your piston rings, you know, not blowing smoke or using oil).

Synthetic oils are very good, they do not break down as conventional oils do (this is why we change our oil, because when oil breaks down, it looses its lubricative properties, making it useless).

But, if you want to switch, do so. Just make sure to stick with one brand, because each brand has differnent additives and detergents (all oils do) that when mixed, aren't good. (like sludge, that's part of why you get sludge; mixing brands of oil.)

And stick with a weight, I use 10w30 year round, depends on where you live. (I live in michigan, it gets cold here) 10w40 is a good weight if you live in a year round warm climate.

88' Accord Ltd
08-05-2002, 05:47 PM
ok thanks a lot man my friend and i were arguing about this for the past few days thanks for clearing it up

88WhiteLX-i
08-05-2002, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't switch back to regular oil, I've been told by many mechanics that you can use syntec a few times and then switch back, but if the guy's been using syntec since it was new then I wouldn't risk it. I switched fronm regular oil to synthetic a few months after I got my car, regular oil was alright, but she runs much much much smoother with syntec. The reason people like synthetic oil is because it keeps it's viscosity much longer than regular oil and can protect your engine at higher temperatures than regualr oil. So if it was up to me I'd do some research on switching over to regular oil, call some garages up and maybe even the actual oil company. I mean after all's said and done it's your engine not mine......

Jareds 89 LX-i
08-05-2002, 10:50 PM
I too wouldn't switch back to regular oil. I've been using synthetic for the last 40,000 miles, and it does seem to be a little smoother than it was before. I have more faith in synthetics over conventional, so it makes me feel better too. Not saying conventionals are bad, just that I like synthetics better.

I've also heard from a few peeps that you shouldn't switch back to regular oil after using synthetic for awile. Not sure of the reason as to why, but that is what I heard.

:)

1988starter
08-06-2002, 09:20 AM
I have been thinking of swiching to valvoline maxlife synthetic I will probably try it next change.