PDA

View Full Version : steering rack leak

operator
03-24-2005, 05:43 AM
Hi, did anybody ever fix a leak coming from the seal on the pass. side off the steering rack with the rack still in the car? If you have done it did you have much trouble? Thanks

frankie89
03-24-2005, 05:46 AM
this thread belongs in technical just ta let u know..and i cant help you wit your question cuz i dont have power steering...sorry..

Oldblueaccord
03-24-2005, 04:18 PM
Hi, did anybody ever fix a leak coming from the seal on the pass. side off the steering rack with the rack still in the car? If you have done it did you have much trouble? Thanks

Pretty sure it a non-rebuildable part. I never seen a rebuild kit for a steering rack.

wp

operator
03-25-2005, 06:16 AM
yes it is rebuildable. I got the seals from the honda dealer for that side. If you look at the parts break down there is a o-ring and a teflon seal. These are the ony seals on that side after the piston in the rack. My main question was "do i have to take the rack right out and can i do it in the car?". Well i going to try today.

superguillermo
03-26-2005, 03:18 PM
It is a pain in the ass to take it off....BUT it'll make your life much easier. The space is so crammed that you might as well take it off and make sure you do a good job. Maybe if u had access to a lift...dunno.

88Accord-DX
03-26-2005, 09:29 PM
If the steering rack can be fixed as mentioned with the o-rings. (didn't think it could be) Might be a good idea to re-place both the boots on each end. I agree it would be easier to do any re-pairs on it if you pull it out. Make sure you get an alighnment afterwards. Hope you got some jack stands.
*edit* Here is an idea of what your looking at to do it. Make sure you get everything right with taking it apart and putting it back together. Seem like the money of getting a re-built/new one would be worth the money though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/6.jpg

operator
03-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the input everyone, i let you know what happens when i get done. It would easier to get a aftermarket rebuild one but i would like to keep the honda one, prob. 10 times better.

According2Me
03-27-2005, 01:21 PM
yo...DO NOT TRY TO REBUILD YOU STEERING RACK!!! I tried and I just ended up buying a rebuilt from a shop after re-installing 3 times due to leakage.