PDA

View Full Version : Clutch pedal varies

md21722
03-24-2005, 06:35 AM
I have a problem with my clutch. Its engagement point seems to shift from time to time for reasons I do not know. I have had the car for 7 weeks. When I first got it, there was no play in the pedal. I adjusted it to have play. Then I R/R'd the valve cover gasket and the clutch started slipping. The cable was adjusted again. For a while I had it so the pedal play was good and it engaged fairly near the fllor like it should. Now it has play and engages higher.

Could this be the cable going wierd or is it likely the clutch disc/pressure plate/release bearing needing replacement, or both?

227Kmi, '88 Accord LX.

Thanks,
Brian

SteveDX89
03-24-2005, 07:14 AM
Mine does that on a brand new clutch. I think the cable is getting jacked up.

shepherd79
03-24-2005, 04:50 PM
sounds like your cable is getting fucked. get a new cable, they are cheap.

md21722
03-24-2005, 09:14 PM
I installe the new cable, time will tell. The new cable (genuine Honda) appeared 1/4" LONGER than the old cable.

With the cable disconnected from the release arm, how much play should the release arm have?

Looks like the cable adjustment takes play out of the release arm by limiting how 'low' it can go?

I am not used to cables, sigh.

FoX
03-27-2005, 07:33 AM
I have had th3 problem that the bracket above the pedal that holds the cable broke and as i pushed and released the clutch it eventually broke. But it seemed just as your explaining it.