PDA

View Full Version : Help with timing belt

88LX-iSedan
03-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Hey, y'all

I was in the process of changing the head gasket on my car, and i slid the timing belt off without taking the cam pulley off. ..Right, so now that i have the gasket and head torqued down i can't get the timing belt on no matter how much i loosen the tensioner?

A20A1
03-24-2005, 01:13 PM
What I like to do is remove the distributor and rocker assembly... making sure that the cam gear is alligned with the crank and they both point to TDC before I loosen anything.

With the distibutor and rocker assembly off I tilt the camshaft and gear by lifting the distributor end of the camshaft and dropping the gear end... Then I slide on the belt and then tilt the camshaft back into position and retighten the rocker assembly.

A20A1
03-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Why the crank bolt?
when you try to loosen it you could throw off the angle... and to turn the crank you'd need to retighten the bolt... if you were to remove just the cam gear you could run into a simmilar problem of the cam and crank not being alligned properly... thats why I suggest removing the rocker assembly...

Make sure the timing belt is sitting in the grooves on the crank gear.

SteveDX89
03-24-2005, 01:21 PM
You will have to push down on the tensioner. It loosens the whole way but you can still push it down farther. The belts are much easier to slide off than on. I've done mine 3 times and putting it on is always a bitch. As far as I know, you should put it on the cam gear first, then around the oil pump and tensioner, then the crank gear last.

Vinny
03-24-2005, 01:22 PM
you CAN loosen the tensioner just done loosen it too much or the spring that holds it in place will fall off. If it falls off you'll have to take off the crank pulley and everything else just like if you are installing a new belt.

Just a few turn on the tensioner bolt should give you enough slack to pull it back up.

HOPEFULLY you made sure you were at TDC when you took everything apart. Makes it a much easier task incase you have problems getting the belt back on

86LXItooFAST4me
03-24-2005, 01:42 PM
plus there is a TDC marking on the flywheel that you can see through the "peeper hole"

88LX-iSedan
03-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Alright, when i slid the belt off i made a mark on the belt and the cam pulley. ..It "should" be in line, but no matter the way i turn the the tensionser it seems to get loose, tight, loose tight.

..What i need to know, does the tensioner go clockwise, or counter-clockwise?

A20A1
03-24-2005, 01:59 PM
What do you mean? which way it spins or which way you tighten the bolt... cause it spins both ways and you turn the both clockwise to tighten.

Oldblueaccord
03-24-2005, 04:11 PM
The bolt that goes into the tensioner is just a bolt with a shoulder. There's no cam type action on it. You tension the belt then tighten the bolt to hold the tensioner in place.

You need to remove that bolt and it will allow the tensioner to move more. I dont think you can get the belt on there with the bolt in since the slot in the tensioner is not open ended. I mean by not damaging or streching the belt I mean.

A20 has a nice idea esp. if you cant or dont want to get the crank pully bolt and all off.

wp

88LX-iSedan
03-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Yeah, i tried removing the rocker arms and lifting the cam. ..It was still no go though, even with the tensioner as loose as it can get without coming all the way.

I can't make any sense of it?

EDIT: Also, every time i get the cam lined with the belt. I go to loosen the rocker arms, then cam moves out of line?

Robs89LXi
03-24-2005, 05:57 PM
With the engine out, it is of course a lot easier. I loosen the tensioner bolt a few turns, then disconnect the spring from the attachment point on the block. This gives plenty of slack to be able to put the belt on. Once it is in place around all gears and tensioner, reattach the spring. It is not easy as you have to put a bit of tension on it, but it is not impossible. After it is attached, retighten the tensioner bolt.

md21722
03-24-2005, 09:21 PM
Where are you in TN ? I am just outside of Nashville.

Maybe you do not have the tensioner adjusted correctly? Loosen the tensioner bolt, move the cam sprocket 3 teeth counterclockwise and tighten the tensioner bolt.

Oldblueaccord
03-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Where are you in TN ? I am just outside of Nashville.

Maybe you do not have the tensioner adjusted correctly? Loosen the tensioner bolt, move the cam sprocket 3 teeth counterclockwise and tighten the tensioner bolt.

The tensioner can slip off that pin it pivots on the block also and act wierd to. Shine a light down there and see if its on the pin. If it aint I dunno how to get it on there with out the cover off.

wp

88LX-iSedan
03-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Alright, i tried lifting the cam and gear at an angle and sliding the belt on again.. This time i finally got the belt on!

BUT, i've ran into yet another problem. ..I can't get the rocker assembly to go back on. It seems to be hitting against the camshaft, and pushing one the arms tight against the spring before the assembly goes together completely?

BTW, thanks for the help.

A20A1
03-25-2005, 02:37 PM
well if the cam gear and crank are alligned then you can rule out a valve hitting the piston and keeping the rocker assembly from seating properly.

If not then that could be what is happening... I've never had trouble with my method... also don't try to tighten one side down all the way... there is supposed to be a tightening order to the bolts... I follow it after the gap between the head and assembly gets really close.

Strugglebucket
03-25-2005, 02:44 PM
make sure one of the arms didn't get flipped around.

88LX-iSedan
03-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Well, i did get the rocker assembly on and torqued down.

Now, it's on to checking the valve clearances. ..Hopefully this will go smoothe.

Thanks again, you all. (Especially to A20A1, and his method of getting the belt on.) :)

BlueBead
03-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Glad you got the belt on; I was gonna say get someone to help you. I had the same problem with my hatch and it took 3 of us to inch the bastard onto the tensioner and pulleys.
cke it sounds like you're off a tooth or so.... good luck with that.... Experiences like that just reinforce how little I trust anyone other than me around my car. Does that make me an uptight perfectionist?? Damned straight when it comes to my ride.... I should apply that to the bodywork I've been putting off.

88LX-iSedan
03-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Yeah, the timing is way fucking off.
I was driving around today and saw how much of an effect it had on fuel milage. I used nearly half a tank going from Amherst, MA to Cheshire, CT.

Do the math with a map if you feel like it. My milage sucked.

But the thing that pissed me off was on my way back my check engine light popped on.

I started pounding my steering wheel and woke my father up. I pulled over and checked the ECU.

two blinks.
The second o2 sensor.

RICHRICHRICHRICHRICH

I'm going to take out the sparkplugs now and replace them, at least I can see how bad they're getting gummed.
They'll survive another two days before I go to the shop and time it with my "friend."

by the book.

Sucks to hear, man.

..I have my car back on the road again.

At first i thought it was leaking gas, but i'd just forgot to screw back the service bolt on the fuel filter. :kekeke:

There are a few crappy things that happend. ..I no longer have power steering, and my stereo keeps blowing the # 11 fuse under the hood as well as the inline fuse to my stereo.

EDIT: ...lmao Nevermind, power steering fluid was low.

86LXItooFAST4me
03-27-2005, 08:44 PM
go buy a Haynes. it tells you step by step what to do with pictures and it even gives you some trouble shooting advise.

mybad if you already have one. this was just a suggestion :D :cheers:

and if i was you, instead of taking it to a shop just grab that manual and just start all over dude. retrace your stepps and double check every thing. but thats just me cuz i dont like anyone working on my vehicals but me for some reason. to many bad experiances. and this was from a "friend" also, lol. good luck man!