PDA

View Full Version : Importing an Aerodeck?

Chicane
03-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Has anyone ever done this? How much did it cost? Did you have to get it sniffed out before you could drive it?

Just wondering, because I think it's a gorgeous design.

A20A1
03-24-2005, 07:26 PM
I dunno it probably depends on where you live... but it's not to say you can't drive it... just not legaly. :D

shepherd79
03-24-2005, 07:45 PM
importing a car will cost a lot of money. and for something old as 3G is not worth it.
you will pay more than $2K for just shipping. I was going to buy a car in the US and ship it to my dad in Russian, and shipping quote i got from a company in Baltimore MD, was over $3K. and that is on the deck of a ship and not in a container. in container it would cost extra $2K. you are talking about $5K just to ship a car to europe, or from europe.

even if you manage to get the car here, you will have to go throught customs, and i will cost money. I am not sure how they charge in the US.

overall, the car is awesome, but it is not worth it.

Chicane
03-24-2005, 08:58 PM
Meh. Depends. I think it could be. It's reliable, easy on gas, and unique. Plus... there are always ways around shipping. Were they ever imported to Canada?

mykwikcoupe
03-24-2005, 09:36 PM
find a freind in shipping a friend if mine shipped he 2004 mini copper to kodiak alaska free of charge in a crate with all the rest of her stuff. Just got to have the right connections is all. I looking into anout 2 years ago. Basic charge is 1g. From there you have licensing, and such probably 750+ unless its over 15 years? I forget that one. The other being crate fee handling fees insurance another 1g easy. But you would be onr of the few with one over here. My buddy from high school had a real JDM accord 3gee. Cool as hell but looked out of place at the time like along civic.

sporkHSP
03-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Military personnel get to ship vehicles for free/cheap, so if you know someone overseas, you may want to talk to them... I have thought about this too, but I dont have extra cash to pay all of the additional costs that sould be involved.

the best suggestion i heard for licensing is to find a dash from a clean titled US hatch to swap into the aerodeck after shipping it here...

NXRacer
03-24-2005, 10:29 PM
there are ways to get around the expensive licensing and customs fees. just have it imported as an offroad car and it'll go right through. It wont have a title, but depending on your local laws, you can sometimes register the vehicle as a kit car and legally drive it. when its registered as a kit car, i think its even exempt from DEQ laws, but again, you'd have to check with your local laws.

Chicane
03-25-2005, 07:21 AM
I was thinking about just swapping a vin from some dead 3g hatch. I know it's illegal...but... >shrug< I don't think anyone would ever notice.

Vanilla Sky
03-25-2005, 08:42 AM
i'm not sure about where you are, but if i get one with a title and get it past customs, all i have to do is have the VIN checked out and have it registered... go buy the car overseas, keep the title with you and have te car shipped as off-road use only... maybe show use only... get it through customs, trailor it home, get the paperwork straight, have the VIN verified and have fun...

88accordhb
03-25-2005, 10:40 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

NXRacer
03-25-2005, 11:41 AM
your car can spend MONTHS in customs before you see it. IF you see it. best bet would be to import it as an off-road vehicle and swap vins or register it as a kit car.