Looks pretty good. Here are pics of the front and back:

http://hostilejava.com/images/IMG_4226.JPG

http://hostilejava.com/images/IMG_4227.JPG

HostileJava
03-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Crap, posted under the wifes name.

A20A1
03-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Are those the ones phrenology was selling?

HostileJava
03-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Are those the ones phrenology was selling?

Absolutely, and the final weight is 16.5lbs. I believe the stock weight is 23lbs? Can someone confirm this?

A20A1
03-25-2005, 08:32 PM
quick , quick install it and tell us how excited you are. :D

Edit: I'll see if I have my flywheel laying around... I'm pretty sure I tossed it.

Strugglebucket
03-25-2005, 08:39 PM
looks groovy:thumbup:

Justin86
03-25-2005, 09:31 PM
those look nice :D

frankie89
03-25-2005, 09:34 PM
:thumbup: nice hostile.....

myaccord7
03-25-2005, 10:55 PM
nice. i was thinking of getting one from him. is it worth the money for the weight loss?

zach

BlueBead
03-25-2005, 11:43 PM
Nice nice nice!
yeah the stock weight is 23lbs
I like that it is still steel.... aluminum shreds too easily for me....

Mike's89AccordLX
03-25-2005, 11:46 PM
Holy crap that's heavy! 16.5 lbs! Damn I cant wait to drive my prelude with my Fidanza 7.5lb flywheel. Torque baby that's all I can say :) Hope its a good improvement with your nitrous Hositle

keruhas184
03-25-2005, 11:53 PM
Absolutely, and the final weight is 16.5lbs. I believe the stock weight is 23lbs? Can someone confirm this?

Is that the most the machine shop can take off? Did you end up getting the second model of the flywheel? Is that why it's 16.5 lbs and not the originally promised 18 lbs?

A20A1
03-26-2005, 12:11 AM
I dunno, I wouldn't go too light... you'll lose out it would seem if you downshift and the flywheel is lighter. But reving quicker is something I'd like to experience.

88accordhb
03-26-2005, 12:35 AM
wooooahh, nice james.

HostileJava
03-26-2005, 04:42 AM
Is that the most the machine shop can take off? Did you end up getting the second model of the flywheel? Is that why it's 16.5 lbs and not the originally promised 18 lbs?

I guess that's the most they could get off it is the XL version.

SteveDX89
03-26-2005, 06:07 AM
Holy crap that's heavy! 16.5 lbs! Damn I cant wait to drive my prelude with my Fidanza 7.5lb flywheel. Torque baby that's all I can say :) Hope its a good improvement with your nitrous Hositle

Incorrect. If the wheel is too light, you lose low end torque.

HostileJava
03-26-2005, 06:35 AM
I also should point out, that it's not really my flywheel. The wife bought so techincally, she says it's her flywheel and she'll be installing it. :-P

Bloodlust
03-26-2005, 06:37 AM
I have stock resurfaced flywheel laying around somewhere. If I find it ill put it on the scale and let you know.

Cool Jamers

phrenology
03-26-2005, 09:06 AM
I also should point out, that it's not really my flywheel. The wife bought so techincally, she says it's her flywheel and she'll be installing it. :-P

Glad to see you got it!!! Let me know how it runs if you get yours up and running before me. I installed mine weeks ago but the motor hasn't gone anywhere. I'm waiting for my custom headstuds, and some other parts before I can start the assembly. You got the benefit of the xtra light weight. The last time I talked to the manufacturer he said that was pretty much as light as it gets with the steel OEM except fpr possibly milling down those front lips a bit more. I'm not the machinist but I think anymore weight loss and you're going to begin to compromise the wheel's integrity. And the other guys are right if you go too light your going to suffer reliablility and downshifting will be tougher. Aluminums are for higher-revving race-oriented engines. I wouldn't put an aluminum on my engine right now anyway.

Cheeseburger
03-26-2005, 09:23 AM
nice james, so what car are yuo going to put it on? the sei?

ICEMAN707
03-26-2005, 10:13 AM
Good deal Hostile. It should put acceleration times down. Unorthodox racing sells a 9 lb aluminum flywheel for $530.

Elijah
03-26-2005, 11:06 AM
I got my car apart I will go get my flywheel and put it on my people scale.

SQ is the SQUAD
03-26-2005, 05:40 PM
nice james, so what car are yuo going to put it on? the sei?

he already said his wife checked him and is putting it in her car

HostileJava
03-26-2005, 06:06 PM
No it's going in the SE-i, she paid for it though so she says it's her wheel. Of the 3 3rd gens I have the DX is the only one running right now and it's not worth putting in there.

myaccord7
03-26-2005, 08:19 PM
is it worth the price for the weight loss? i think i might get one.

zach

Oyvind Ryeng
03-27-2005, 08:13 AM
Incorrect. If the wheel is too light, you lose low end torque.
Incorrect. The torque the engine produces remains the same, it just takes less time to accellerate, in other words, it gives better accelleration overall. The myth that you loose torque is hard to kill. Tell me - why would the engine suddenly produce less torque by just changing the flywheel? It doesn't make sense, right? The only thing that changes is that you have less mass in motion to push the car off the line. But when you are off the line and the engine tries to change rotational speed (ie. accellerate), it has less mass to bring up to that speed; the change of speed happens faster - ergo, better accelleration. Similar sensation as to running very light wheels.

I'm not the machinist but I think anymore weight loss and you're going to begin to compromise the wheel's integrity.
It's all in *where* material is removed. If you remove material from the center section - sure it gets weaker. But if you take material off from the edge (see those lips near the starter ring gear?) the flywheel actually gets *stronger*. Hard to believe?

Look at it this way - rotating mass is experiencing sentrifugal force - the faster the flywheel spins, the more the outer mass tries to rip the flywheel apart. Now, if there is less mass far out on the flywheel, the ripping sentrifugal force exerted on the more inner parts are also less.

Coroncho80
03-27-2005, 09:10 AM
I haven't read the whole thread but we installed a 12 lbs competition clutch flywheel to my friend's G3 teg and one to mines (both turbo tegs - his 20 psi and mines 16 psi) and the difference is not much. I thought it was going to be a drastic revving change but it was not the case...

Elijah
03-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Stock is 21 pounds just wieghed mine.

phrenology
03-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Incorrect. The torque the engine produces remains the same, it just takes less time to accellerate, in other words, it gives better accelleration overall. The myth that you loose torque is hard to kill. Tell me - why would the engine suddenly produce less torque by just changing the flywheel? It doesn't make sense, right? The only thing that changes is that you have less mass in motion to push the car off the line. But when you are off the line and the engine tries to change rotational speed (ie. accellerate), it has less mass to bring up to that speed; the change of speed happens faster - ergo, better accelleration. Similar sensation as to running very light wheels.

It's all in *where* material is removed. If you remove material from the center section - sure it gets weaker. But if you take material off from the edge (see those lips near the starter ring gear?) the flywheel actually gets *stronger*. Hard to believe?

Look at it this way - rotating mass is experiencing sentrifugal force - the faster the flywheel spins, the more the outer mass tries to rip the flywheel apart. Now, if there is less mass far out on the flywheel, the ripping sentrifugal force exerted on the more inner parts are also less.

My quote referred to removing too much material from the back side of the wheel. That is the area my manufacturer has made the modifications because its essentially "dead weight". If you shave too much off from any area and make the wheel waffer thin it will never be able to handle the load from the clutch and will flex. I have discussed removing more material from the front side edges. In the next phase of development we will take this into consideration. The goal for this product is to make a compromise between light weight for acceleration and reliable safety. This product is in no way intended to be a pure racing performance modification.

MarioBurke
03-27-2005, 05:53 PM

Yikes 16 lbs and its not even the one with the steel ring insert. the one i bought was like 13. some odd lbs with the shipping box! hahaha but i you'll love it. i know i Do!

Elijah
04-04-2005, 07:25 PM
is the flywheel balanced in some way. I found a machine shop to do mine but we dont know if its balanced or not?

phrenology
04-04-2005, 08:17 PM
is the flywheel balanced in some way. I found a machine shop to do mine but we dont know if its balanced or not?

:) All of the flywheels produced by my manufacturer are tested and balanced. If you look closely at the photos of Hostile's and mine you will see the balancing marks on the backside. I do not recommend having a machine shop lighten your flywheel unless they've had experience doing so. Just throwing an old flywheel on a lathe and taking as much material off as you can before the wheel cracks is not a good idea. If the machinist doesn't have the tools or know how to balance a flywheel than I would highly suggest going another route.

The ones I'm selling are brand new and lightened by a manufacturer that does nothing but make flywheels. Also note that if you have your old flywheel resurfaced it will not retain the OEM rated surface depth. The more you shave in resurfacing, the deeper your clutch has to dig into the flywheel to get traction. If you know your machine shop and they have good experience with lightening flywheels then good luck. The main reason I'm offering the lightened wheel is because a lot of the machine shops around here wouldn't do the work on the A20 flywheel. Its not flat like other wheels and trickier to machine correctly. Know your machine shop and they're limitations, play it safe.

Elijah
04-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Cool thanks now I could use some more info or a link to a thread about your flywheels. Price ect....

phrenology
04-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Cool thanks now I could use some more info or a link to a thread about your flywheels. Price ect....

Elijah, click on the link to my online shop in my signature. Applied Engine Technologies is our company. Right now our work is centered around A20 engine components. All info and prices/pics are on the site. If you have questions about our products than email me through the website. Enjoy!

ICEMAN707
04-05-2005, 11:39 PM
hmm that flywheel is a pretty good deal in price and overall weight for daily driving use. i'd like an aluminum flywheel for when i do my 5 spd swap but i'm thinking it might be too light.

besides, isn't there anything bad about a very light flywheel? like stalling or lag due to less rotating mass momentum for the clutch and tranny to move? especially when you got heavier wheels? i think you'd have to launch at a high rpm just to keep the engine from stalling when you dump the clutch right? that would suck having to do that every red light, or worse on an incline/hill...lol how would you put your foot on the gas to keep the rpm up while be on the brakes and clutch at the same time?

on another note, who else sells aluminum flywheels for our cars besides unorthodox racing? it's pretty pricey at about $530. so i think i'm gonna consider phrenology's lightened steel flywheel unless there is another manufacturer that sells aluminum flywheels out there cheaper than unorthodox racing's so i can try it out and see if the aluminum ones are ok for daily driving or not. $530 for unorthodox flywheel is too much $$$ to give a try.

phrenology
04-06-2005, 06:57 PM
hmm that flywheel is a pretty good deal in price and overall weight for daily driving use. i'd like an aluminum flywheel for when i do my 5 spd swap but i'm thinking it might be too light.

besides, isn't there anything bad about a very light flywheel? like stalling or lag due to less rotating mass momentum for the clutch and tranny to move? especially when you got heavier wheels? i think you'd have to launch at a high rpm just to keep the engine from stalling when you dump the clutch right? that would suck having to do that every red light, or worse on an incline/hill...lol how would you put your foot on the gas to keep the rpm up while be on the brakes and clutch at the same time?

on another note, who else sells aluminum flywheels for our cars besides unorthodox racing? it's pretty pricey at about $530. so i think i'm gonna consider phrenology's lightened steel flywheel unless there is another manufacturer that sells aluminum flywheels out there cheaper than unorthodox racing's so i can try it out and see if the aluminum ones are ok for daily driving or not. $530 for unorthodox flywheel is too much $$$ to give a try.

Just think of it as getting a quality new OEM replacement wheel with the added benefits of being lightened, balanced and having a freshly milled surface to mate with your clutch. All that and you don't have to worry about core charges or the quality of the machinework. The only other aluminum flywheel for your application I've seen is by Mueller. Its a billet wheel but it goes for $450. I'm not trying to compete with aluminums but for a daily driver application I wouldn't spend +$400 for a flywheel. Aluminum is not cheap anymore so any place that you go looking for aluminum billet products you're going to pay $$$$.