PDA

View Full Version : Few questions about Hi-Flow Cat on e-Bay (pic incl.)

88Accord-DX
03-25-2005, 11:33 PM
I got one of these Hi-Flow Cats off e-Bay. I don't have emmision laws to worry about. I doubt there is any Hp gain. My questions are.

1. Does anyone know if there is enough back-pressure with one of these?
2. Is the sound coming off the tail-pipe pretty loud?
3. Has anyone used one of these on their cars?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/catonebay.jpg

Mike's89AccordLX
03-25-2005, 11:49 PM
I have one just not installed. Its definately not a cat :) Its a glorified test pipe. It will make it deeper I'm sure since it could act as a resonator.

A20A1
03-26-2005, 12:22 AM
You don't want back-pressure in the way you might be thinking....
People will say you'll loose back-pressure when you get a larger diameter pipe...
What they should be saying is that velocity will drop some with a larger diameter pipe...

You want exhaust velocity and low restriction... velocity comes with a smaller diameter pipe... but a smaller diamter pipe means more restriction so you have a greater pumping loss...
Larger diameter pipe means more flow and less pumping work for your motor but less velocity.

It's a trade off ...but 2.25" diameter pipe is pretty much where most mild performance people draw the line between good flow and good velocity.

The cat is something you'll always want to toss if you can... it's a restriction plain and simple, it doesn't benifit flow or velocity.

I'd get a straight pipe installed instead of a pipe with a bulge in it... I dunno what the interior of the pipe in your pic looks like but still it would be cheaper just to install a pipe with 2 flanges welded to it... the flanges on our cat is fairly universal.
I dunno where or how you intend to install it, so the costs will vary

A20A1
03-26-2005, 12:38 AM
I have one just not installed. Its definately not a cat :) Its a glorified test pipe. It will make it deeper I'm sure since it could act as a resonator.

Mike, does the chamber open up like the exterior suggests or is it just for show?
I wanna know if it's straight pipe with the same diameter all the way thru.

88accordhb
03-26-2005, 12:51 AM
the sound is more grummbly and low, a bit louder if you're running an open tip. i ran a test pipe for a while untill the fumes started knocking me out.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-26-2005, 01:02 AM
Mike it looks as if it has glass packs perhaps? It's a straight through design nothing blocking the flow. That bulge looks like the inside of a fart cannon muffler. It's got the Stainless steel with a ton of little holes in it. I'm assuming it will kind of act like a resonater more than a cat. Its definately not restrictive :)

88Accord-DX
03-26-2005, 01:06 AM
I'd get a straight pipe installed instead of a pipe with a bulge in it... I dunno what the interior of the pipe in your pic looks like
I dunno where or how you intend to install it, so the costs will vary
I'm going to have to wait on bigger exhaust piping. Here is pic of inside. I do all my work, so the cost of installation is nothing. Appreciate the advice.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/insideofcar.jpg

A20A1
03-26-2005, 01:19 AM
Cool, yeah it does look like a res. :)

So are you saying thats the 1.75" stock diameter or did you get something else?

88Accord-DX
03-26-2005, 01:35 AM
So are you saying thats the 1.75" stock diameter or did you get something else?
It says it is direct bolt on from the add. It measures about 2 1/4" across the hole. I have stock diameter pipe.

A20A1
03-26-2005, 01:52 AM
thanks...

carotman
03-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Yeah tha'ts exactly the thing I got when my Cat flange gave up on me. I thought it was a real cat but in fact it's just somekind os Cat lookalike that will act as a resonator. It has a 2.25 inch pipe diameter.

88Accord-DX
03-26-2005, 10:11 PM
It has a 2.25 inch pipe diameter.
I sort of looked under my car to see if it will be a "bolt on" as the add stated, find out this next week.

i ran a test pipe for a while untill the fumes started knocking me out. :lol:

carotman
03-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Yeah it's bolt-on.

88accordhb
03-28-2005, 05:21 PM
someone got an ebay one a while back and said it was too short. i think it was evo or something.

snow_man_20
03-29-2005, 02:13 AM
So have you put it on yet??? I want to know how it fits, how much louder it is or if there is any kind of power gain.

88Accord-DX
03-29-2005, 09:34 AM
So have you put it on yet??? I want to know how it fits, how much louder it is or if there is any kind of power gain.
No, not yet. I will probably put it on next week. I still need to get a new 02 sensor, new PVP valve & new fuel filter for a re-built carb I'm putting on too. I'll post some pics of it & let everyone know how it works out. :thumbup: