PDA

View Full Version : Scammed into buying a DX not LX-i

88tandx
03-28-2005, 09:05 PM
So I recently totalled my 88dx sedan and i looked around and found on ebay an 89lx-i coupe. It was going for about 1500 but it didnt sell after a few times and the guy did a no reserve auction and i won with a bid of 500. So i pick it up and the car has had all its badges shaved except for the "H"'s on the hood and trunk so i dont think anything of it :uh: . So ive been rolling around in this thing for a bout 2 1/2 weeks now and ive already revamped whole shitload of things from the suspension to the brakes to the engine and theres more coming down the road. So it comes time to do the stereo which im not thrilled about cuz i hate electrical work. I hate electrical, interior, exterior, brake, and suspension work. Im an engine man and thats it. the car is FI, has power windows and doorloocks, sunroof, rear disk brakes, body colored bumpers, yano all the usual signs of an LX-i. So i put the sub box in the trunk and im running the wires under the carpeting and it comes time to hook it all up. The one thing i missed in my dx sedan was the flipdown back seats. Well i was fuqqin excited to have em in this car so i could fold down the backseat and really hear the sound quality of my 2 10" W7's. So i go to fold em down and theres no button. So i open the trunk and theres the brace that goes behind the back seat that is also in my sedan. So im a lil worried now and i dont know what the hell is going on. So i go on carfax and get a car history and the vin checks out as an 89 DX not LX-i. So im enfureated at this point that this guy lied to me and that im dumb enough to believe him :Owned2: so i just sent the guy a long email filled my anger, hate, and obscenities. I would pursue some sort of legal thing through ebay buts it was 500 dollars and the car has everything else i wanted in an LX-i so im not that dissapointed. I guess one of the owners wanted all that shit and put it in. So now does anyone know how i would be able to make my rear seats flipdown. Im gunna be redoing my entire entire from tan to black cuz i wanna go black on black so im gunna be putting in new seats anyway. Lend me your knowledge oh great 3g minds.

-Joe

MrBen
03-28-2005, 09:14 PM
You need the back part that folds down, the bottom piece, and two side pieces of the seat too, plus the rear deck and lock and related pieces and hinges. The bar that goes behind the back seat on the DX must be extricated and holes must be drilled for the new hinges.

It's a pain in the butt but I guess it's worth it.

EDIT: BTW I deleted your other duplicate thread for you, I dunno why but that sometimes happens

NXRacer
03-28-2005, 10:26 PM
so whoever had it before did a power and FI conversion?? i'd say you got a good deal. no reason to flip out because of a seat problem. . . . . . :wtf:

Blue Impact
03-28-2005, 11:35 PM
Can't you just get a LX-i rear seat and swap it out?

Mike's89AccordLX
03-28-2005, 11:46 PM
Not to mention a rear disc conversion. Quit your whining it sounds like a pretty decent deal to me.

snow_man_20
03-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Sombody spent alot of $$$ on that DX, the funny thing is that thay did it so well that you didn't know for 2 1/2 weeks. I guess the real piont is that thay decived you and i would be mad about too.

ICEMAN707
03-29-2005, 12:05 AM
Well at least it's fuel injected. Hmm I never knew about that backseat thing about DX's. Is the backseat backrest not removable at all or what? Shouldn't be a big deal. If I were you, I would reupholster the backseat with strong nylon fishnet inserts and remove all the extra foam behind it. Sorta like making speaker grills out of your backseat but still soft and comfy enough to sit on. That way you have port holes for your subs. That was my plan for mine when I decide to reupholster my seats is to use that instead of having to fold down the backseats all the time. Plus it would look stealthy too.

SteveDX89
03-29-2005, 03:53 AM
Look for the user smufguy in the member list. Go to his website and check the how-tos. There is one about the back seat. I used those directions on my DX and the fold down seat works fine.

Vanilla Sky
03-29-2005, 09:22 AM
another somewhat better option for the rear seat brackets is to get them from a hatch... they are bolted on in the hatchback... also, the hatch has split folding seats (that does require another bracket) which i like as an option

phrenology
03-29-2005, 09:33 AM
If you need LX-i rear fold down seat hardware PM me!!! I still have the whole rear seat assembly and deck intact. It has the key lock for the seats too. Let me know. I know you want to go to black interior (this is tan) but the hardware shouldn't matter. I'm gonna junk all this stuff soon so let me know! If you let me know I can take it apart this weekend.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-29-2005, 09:42 AM
Well think of it this way. You can probably get cheaper insurance for a DX than a LXi. I suppose I would be ticked too but it does have a lot of goodies that took a lot of hard work.

Vanilla Sky
03-29-2005, 10:10 AM
yeah, but it was falsly advertised... an illegal practice in case you're not familliar with the laws of the states :p

phrenology
03-29-2005, 10:31 AM
the car is FI, has power windows and doorloocks, sunroof, rear disk brakes, body colored bumpers, yano all the usual signs of an LX-i.

Were DX's in any 3G years even available with a Sunroof? I know they didn't have standard elec door locks and windows. My friend had one of the first 3G Accords made. It was an 86 LX (had all the power options, no sunroof) and it was manufactured in late 1985. Weird. Even some rare 84-85 Accords had Sunroofs as added options and the 85 Se-i had it standard. What's strange is that the 84-85 regular hatchbacks (no trim title) had pretty much the same options as the LX trim (neither had elec door locks and windows, only the sedans) I think the few differences were interior color options and a digital clock. They had the same power plant and most of the same standard options. Canadians got the shaft in 84-85 with 1.6 ES2 engines (according to my dealer brochure), sloooow down.

Vanilla Sky
03-29-2005, 10:45 AM
no, DXs never got that as a factory option, but it could be a PIO, or a dealer option... hell, it could be aftermarket or from an LXi

88tandx
03-29-2005, 03:51 PM
Yea im not that pissed about the fact that it has all the goodies and that i got a hell of a deal cuz all that work alone is more than 500 bux which is why im not bothering to take legal action. i was just pissed about being lied to. Comparing the sunroof to the one in my friends SE-i and it looks exactly the same so im assuming it was put in as a deal option or he ripped it off a lx-i/se-i and had it custom installed. Along with the manual he gave me a big ass parcel size envelope thats about 4 or 5 inches thick full of service records and reciepts from all the other work done on his car so when i get a chance ill go through that and look to see if its documented anywhere. Thanks for the help with the seats im gunna be gettting together parts this week and hopefully doing it over the weekend.
Phrenology: thanks alot for the offer man but my friend with the se-i has another junked se-i that he used for parts and its got a black interior so im gunna use his seats. thanks again though.

-Joe

frantik
06-26-2005, 01:19 PM
dude even the seller might not have known it was originally a DX if the only way you could tell was cause the back seat doesn't fold down and there's a different bar in the trunk..

that is unless he's the one who did the work

88accordhb
06-26-2005, 02:29 PM
mine folds down.

well even if the seller told you it was a dx with all those lxi goodies, i wouldve still paid that price or more.

Reptile
06-26-2005, 02:51 PM
Sucks to be ripped off like that, but who ever had the car before you and did all of that to it definitely must have loved it. So overall I do not blame you for being unhappy about being lied to but I also agree that there is no real reason to be freaking out either.

Hell if the guy you bought it from was not the one who did all that work too it he might not have even known it was a DX either.

lostforawhile
06-26-2005, 03:03 PM
are you sure that the vin numbers on the doors and dash weren't changed? thats a heck of a lot of work to convert everything. are your seatbelts attached to the seats? thats lxi not dx, that alone is a heck of a lot of work to change. the doors aren't even the same as far as belts go and attachment points. I've got an lxi door in myloft and it won't even fit my dx hatch. you might have even gotten an sei from the rear discs. could be that one was ripped off and vin numbers switched from a wreck with a clear title. that is just a huge amountof work. figure if you were the thievin' kind and you wrecked your dx and had it towed home, all you would have had to do was rip off another one and change out a few tags. see if the number stamped into the fire wall matches the title and door tags.

Vanilla Sky
06-26-2005, 06:52 PM
the doors differ between years, not trimlines. same with the seatbelts.

lostforawhile
06-26-2005, 07:13 PM
the doors differ between years, not trimlines. same with the seatbelts.thats right those belts didn't come out until 89 just seems strange to convert all that over to a dx, would hate to see something go wrong with the paper work or something. hopefully everything is alright

lostforawhile
06-26-2005, 07:16 PM
maby someone will return my computer made into an sei

Vanilla Sky
06-26-2005, 07:42 PM
nope, in 88 i believe. my 88s all have seatbelts attached to the seats.

POS carb
06-27-2005, 02:21 PM
port the armrest but yea that was kind of deceptive.
It could be worse, the guy already took care of the difficult part of EFI and power everything. Look under the pass. seat, there should be a lock controller box there, also the underhood emmissions stickers and the door frame shoudl give you more detail If the stock wheel size is 13 it's a DX frame, if it's 14 it's an LXi with a DX back seat