PDA

View Full Version : need help quick with 89 LXI

88vert
03-29-2005, 12:01 AM
After putting over 200 in the suspension this weekend,my car decides to take a turn for the worse.As I was riding to work today going about 30 mph my car just dies,gives me the oil light and nothing else.I pulled to the side of the road and had it tow dollied home.the last few days my tack has been jumping all over the place more than normal,and while driving I would hit what felt like dead spots,but the car ran great.is there anything in my dist. that could make the car do this or do you think it is my timing belt?Thanks for all your help

snow_man_20
03-29-2005, 12:27 AM
Well it's not going to be your belt, I would try to post more info like last tune up, or how it was runing before. What is new and what has been adjusted in the past few months. Does it start up ok now, does it change at dif. temps. More info would be good.

No check enj. light with enj. off?????

88vert
03-29-2005, 12:30 AM
I changed plugs and wires about two months ago.It has been running great up untill about a week ago.It will not start.When i try to start it the starter sounds real weird.I have not had a chance to look at it yet.could it be the dist?

snow_man_20
03-29-2005, 12:41 AM
What about cap and rotor, have you changed that??? when your craking and trying to start it can you smell fuel?? Need to check for spark.

Do you get a engine check light at all???

88vert
03-29-2005, 12:48 AM
I have changed cap and rotor about three times in the last year and a half it eats them up.No check engine light at all

snow_man_20
03-29-2005, 12:55 AM
I have changed cap and rotor about three times in the last year and a half it eats them up.No check engine light at all

Thats not good, can you hear grind or a clicky in the dizzy?? About the engine light do you get it when the engine is off but your key is on?? When you turn the key on your engine light should come on for a few seconds and you should hear the fuel pump kick on during that time with a click under the dash and then you should hear it shut off with a click under the dash. Does this happen???

88vert
03-29-2005, 01:01 AM
all of that happens.I just checked it

snow_man_20
03-29-2005, 01:08 AM
all of that happens.I just checked it

have you ever noticed a grinding or clicking sound coming out of the dizzy??? (engine running)

88vert
03-29-2005, 01:10 AM
yeah I have heard the clicking while its running with the hood open

snow_man_20
03-29-2005, 01:20 AM
yeah I have heard the clicking while its running with the hood open

If the clicking is coming from the dizzy and not a lifter, a/c pump, or anything elce it's probibly your problem.

sounds like it could be your dizzy, you still need to check for spark, fuel, and clean air filter doesn't hurt. Is your cap a rotor in good shape now??

Also does anyone elce have any input thay would like to put in on this???

88vert
03-29-2005, 01:26 AM
First thing in the morning I am going to check everything out.i know its not the a/c becase I ripped all that out.And the lifters are quiet on my car.My tach has been jumping around a little for the last 10000 miles,but in the last 500 it is all over the place.i will keep you updated on my progress.thanks again for your time

snow_man_20
03-29-2005, 01:36 AM
Your welcome, and good luck. I'll check the thread tomorrow.

88vert
03-29-2005, 08:04 AM
Well i took the upper timing cover off and when I turn the motor over the timing belt does not move.is this normal?

88vert
03-29-2005, 08:06 AM
Also the belt feels kind of loose

Oldblueaccord
03-29-2005, 11:50 PM
Also the belt feels kind of loose

Sounds like the timing belt is bad. It should turn over with the motor and be very tight. There is a good chance that the valves had hit the pistons if you where going down the road when it broke. This can happen not always but sometimes on these motor. Idle I would not worry about it I have had it jump off myself no damage.

There's a howto on timing belt replacement.

wp

88vert
03-30-2005, 07:40 AM
Yeah I found a couple of the teeth on the timing belt in the lower case.I will start changing it out tonight.if I need any help I know where to go

AccordEpicenter
03-30-2005, 07:53 AM
either coil or distributor or both... if you didnt run it out of oil that is

88vert
03-30-2005, 10:36 AM
i could can slide the old timing belt off by hand

88vert
03-30-2005, 11:25 PM
Well spent about an hour on her and got stuck with loosening up the altenator that bolt is hell to get broken loose I hit it with some PB blaster and I will try again in the morning

3gn86lxi
03-30-2005, 11:55 PM
Good luck with it....Get the belt changed and you should be o.k.
Let us know what happens.

BlueBead
03-30-2005, 11:55 PM
Good luck on the belt man... alot of us have had 'experiences' with the Timing belt.
I'd recommend having a manual.. Pauls works well if you're comp. is near where you are working (ie laptop). Otherwise, I've used my haynes manual alot.
As far as the valves.... I've heard so many conflicting things I think its worth just slapping the new belt in and trying it out. If the valves are fine, then you haven't had to pull off the head and mess around.
G'Luck buddy!

Strugglebucket
03-30-2005, 11:57 PM
nevermind the alt bolt, that'll be easy compared to the crank pulley bolt.:D

hey if you plan on keeping the car for a while you should check your water pump, oil pump, and front crank seal since you're down there. i would recommend replacing the tensioner spring on the t-belt too, because old ones are usually worn out.

88vert
03-31-2005, 10:17 AM
crank pully bolt was a piece of cake with my impact.Looks like the orginal belt on the car.the belt did not break but on the underside of the crank pully there are no teeth :uh:

88vert
04-01-2005, 09:11 PM
well got the belt on today and the car started right up first try.Not something I want to do everyday.the waterpump looks like it was orginal also.Not bad for 181000 miles.Thanks for all your help