PDA

View Full Version : Engine thunk everytime I hit the gas or let off?

md21722
03-29-2005, 08:48 AM
I think the engine is moving around when I hit the gas or left off while moving. Idle is smooth. I suspected the torque rod bushings. I could move the engine side of it back and forth and up and down. It looked like a real simple bushing with some "tabs" that stick out and one of these was noticably worn down. I wrapped the bushing up in electrical tape and pushed it back into the arm its still nice and snug. But it still feels like the motor moves around. Is my "repair" faulty or should I be checking a different mount or something else?

Thanks,

POS carb
03-29-2005, 02:00 PM
usually you won't hear the engine hitting anything until the front mount breaks. The torque strut has play but it should not budge when you try to push it forward or aft (like trying to push it into the car or pull it out of the firewall). It controls the rocking of the engine

NXRacer
03-29-2005, 03:18 PM
sounds like your motor mounts are dying or broken.

md21722
03-29-2005, 03:41 PM
Is there a "shortcut" way to check them short of removing each one and inspecting? When I did the timing belt, the side motor mount "seemed" okay. Is it recommended to replace ALL the mounts at the same time since they're all old? Or should I focus on one or two mounts that are known problems?

Which ones "never" fail and which ones "always" fail?

Neukam
03-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Is there a "shortcut" way to check them short of removing each one and inspecting? When I did the timing belt, the side motor mount "seemed" okay. Is it recommended to replace ALL the mounts at the same time since they're all old? Or should I focus on one or two mounts that are known problems?

Which ones "never" fail and which ones "always" fail?
easy way to tell if a motor mount is broken is to have some one power brake in forward and reverse gears while you watch to see which mounts are broken.

NXRacer
03-29-2005, 04:34 PM
just put it in gear with the car off, then rock the car back and forth. You shouldnt get much engine movement. If they're broken or totally worn out, you will know beyond a doubt if thats the problem. Shouldnt move more then 1/2" or so.

md21722
03-30-2005, 06:48 AM
The torque rod was loose in all directions. The electrical tape seems to keep it tight in all directions, maybe that's the problem as now the arm is cocked at a slight angle. Was a real pain, had to take off the air cleaner assembly and the vac line to the hinged door would not come off cleanly.

I had a mech watch the motor while I engaged gears with brake and he seemed to think all was good. Maybe he has very high tolerances (at least for old Hondas!)

Will check again myself.

md21722
03-30-2005, 07:36 AM
I pushed the car back and forth and didn't see any movement. All I heard was a "chink" kind of noise sounding like it was coming from inside the trans. I wonder what that is.

POS carb
03-30-2005, 07:01 PM
"chink" sounds are made by the axle (hit it w/ something solid like a pen/screwdriver and you'll see)

if it's not the mounts it is either suspension related or your axle boot is so screwed up that the shaft is sliding around inside and it'll make more of a banging sound especially when you brake or accelerate suddenly

md21722
03-30-2005, 10:34 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by hitting the axle with a screwdriver? The noise I hear occur when the axles rotate, and it sounds like its coming from the trans. The passenger side axle is #3 in about 2 months (original, replacement, and replacement replacement, i.e. first replacement defective) and none have altered this problem I am currently decribing. Possible that the drivers side axle is an issue, I have not dealt with it.

Could it be the entire subframe is moving, i.e one of those mounts broken?

I do get some vibes going down the freeway, but they are intermittant and I'm not sure its related.

Thanks,

md21722
04-02-2005, 07:01 AM
What are the chances this could be the driveshaft causing the vibrations?

The passenger side is on #3 - the first one (original) clicked so I replaced it, the first replacement was defective, and the third is a nice one with updated boot styles. The symptoms haven't changed with any of the axle changes on the passenger side.

The drivers side has been replaced before - before I got the car - but I wonder if an inbooard joint is going out causing some issues? The suspension is tight all around. I have checked it an a pro has checked it.

md21722
04-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Replacing the clutch and pressure plate took away nearly all of the thunk!

The clutch was original with 230Kmi. The rivets wore a groove into the pressure plate... thankfully the flywheel looked good.