PDA

View Full Version : Alternator dead? Need urgent advice please.

LX-biker
08-05-2002, 05:57 PM
Red battery light again!???!!!
Few days ago after cruising 5 hours in Ontario, it just blink once when I drove to parking.
Today it start lighting and voltage on battrey 12.8V when motor ON. That mean no charge from alternator.
Than I turn off engine for 30 minutes and when start again was no battery light until engine go to low Idle, and battery light come ON again.
I have warranty for alternator with regulator but why it falure after only 7 month (if it alternator-finaly I not sure)? Alternator was changed by Canadian Tire facility and looks new.
PS. All fuses OK.

Thanks in advace. Tomorrow I will go fight!
:werd:

YK86
08-05-2002, 07:04 PM
Could be a bad or loose connection. Or the rebuilt/new alt they gave you is crappy. Both ways, it it's under warranty, just get them to look at it.

LX-biker
08-05-2002, 07:12 PM
Thanks,
I think so too, but thay may charge me fo labor?
If yes, that right way for making $$$ for them!....

lionel
08-06-2002, 02:02 AM
Hello,

I have experienced the same problem with a 88 DX (carb). I had a rebuilt alternator unit, and for the last 10kmi, I would get the batery light go on for a second or less, very occasionnaly, usually in hot wheather with the engine very warm and engine speed around 4000kmi, A/C on.

Now a few days ago, the light went permanently, on. This was due to a short in the choke coil heater (choke cap set). This is easy to check, just check the resistance between the wire which goes to this choke cap and the ground (connector is between caburator and firewall.

Now, the thing is I still have from time to time the light on, and I can't see why. Could be a dying diod in the rectifier, or an electrical pb on the car. I'll have the alternator bench test later today and will let you know.

Bottom line is tha the alternator is not necessarily the culprit, but if is is under warranty, I would just try its replacement first.

Good luck,

--Lionel

smufguy
08-06-2002, 12:19 PM
check to see if they gave u the right part number-ed altenator. tha could put more juice or none at all in your battery. hope u get ur's fixed soon. if u have a bad ground, u will experience this too.

LX-biker
08-06-2002, 04:45 PM
Hi all,
thank you for advice and support.
Just 2 hours ago i'v pickup mine car

But !!!!!!!!!!!! Thay charge me 204$ can. for labor :mad:

And how guess smufguy :wtf: new alternator different as previos. Wire 1.5-1.8 times more thick and alt. doesnt filling elec. loads as before.....:cool:

Overal car filling differnt like in 3-4 year Corola with av. milege - not Bad!

Thats it for now.

PS. Lionel! I understood what you are talking about.
Mine choke coil heater was with glitches -open when car is hot (infinity res.) and changed in time of carb. rebuilding. :pimp:

smufguy
08-06-2002, 04:58 PM
why was the charge for again? i did not get what u just said.

LX-biker
08-06-2002, 05:13 PM
Because warranty for alt. 5 years and for labor 100 days. Alt. was replaced in dec. 2001 >100 days left... and i should pay labor again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

It was my last visit thear.....I swear.....

smufguy
08-06-2002, 05:58 PM
okay why wat the altenator bad???? u changed the altenator again?????

LX-biker
08-06-2002, 06:36 PM
Yes, thay sad "alt. doesnt perfoming according specifications and should be changed". And I agree for starting replacement work.
Of coarse doesnt!!! Red battery light ON when engine hot. :deal:

smufguy
08-07-2002, 03:58 AM
thats why its better to check the altenator part number on the majestic honda website and then double check with the dude who puts it in there. besides. altenator job is a pain in the ass, but its possible to do it on your own. takes about half a day to ge that shit out, but its worth doing cause u save a load of money. saving 200 bucks on labor is hell of a lot of money.

i knew this altenator shit cause when me and my uncle went to Niagra falls, his 4g got the alt busted. and the dude put in a cheesy one, that did not look right, they were like beating the shit out of the bracket to fit the alt in and i told my uncle that its not gonna be the right alt, cause it does not have to be forced in. if u force something in, then its not the right part. it should go in with little force, not a lot. ppl do that bro, just we all have shit to look at and learn. this is the first experience, sooner u will be starting to change your own stuff.

lionel
08-07-2002, 05:18 AM
I did not quite get what was the difference between the two alternators? And is it working now?

As for removal, on the carb 3g Accords, I don't think you take it out through the top of the engine. You have to get it down, by removing the driveaxle, or may be only lower it by taking it out on the wheel side. Then the trick is to remove the left side engine mount (off course you need to support the engine oil pan) and lower a little bit the engine to get the alternator out.

Not that difficult, but you need to take the axle off the knuckle...

Good luck,

--Lionel

smufguy
08-07-2002, 01:03 PM
i dont know why ppl take off the axle, to get to the altenator. get a swivel adapter and a 1/2" drive ratchet and ur good to go. ur hearing from a guy who took off 2 altenators. i took the efi altenator with just the wheel and the splash guard off.

LX-biker
08-07-2002, 02:38 PM
Thaks for advices. I hope this story finished.
First stock alt. dead just befor Cristmas...
In Canada is Cold wheater with show or freesing rain and I dont have garage with lifter. I living in apartment. I had no choise and had go in repair facility and drove with dead alt. to closest-Canadian Tire garage.....
:cool:

I hope you understood situation.
PS. guys try replace Alt. in a carb accord. That not FI!!!!!!!!!!!! Amaizing but it is-only from under engine. I like make works by self but dont have equiped or any garage for this. Most turn ups I made in the back yard of mine company (hope cheef doesn know). :stupid:
In that time i didn't think thay can put wrong or bat alternator to mine car. just even dont think.....
:banghead:

YK86
08-07-2002, 02:48 PM
I've done about 4 alt changes so far on a 3rd gen. Both carb and EFI don't require any jacking of the car and can be done with common tools. The EFI just needs the rear air box to be removed and you can slip it out from behind the manifold. On the carbed, you need to remove the air filter assembly (make more room), loosen the heater control assembly from the firewall (the thing with two hoses and a cable from the heater control), and squeeze the alt by (in between the rear mount and the heater hoses). It takes alot of sqeezing but it will get by.

LX-biker
08-07-2002, 06:09 PM
Thank you YK86. I will remember yours experience.

honestly I am tired little bit ....:werd:

I need a rest or will go to finance new Civic and make hole on the floor where axel pedal is:ego: