PDA

View Full Version : Fuses keep blowing!

88LX-iSedan
03-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Ey, all..

The inline fuse to my H/U, and the ECU/Clock fuse (#11, engine compartment) keep blowing. (Not both, it's always one or the other.)

See, the thing i don't get is everything worked fine last time i drove the car.. Wich was about a year ago, and none of the stereo has been touched since. Now that i went through and put a new head gasket in, this is happening. (I'm quite sure i didn't over-look any wires, or connections that i disconnected.)

The only idea i can gather, is a bad ground.. I already tried grounding the H/U to a different spot rather than the ground wire coming into the car, but that only seemed to burn a fuse faster. ...I'll probably try hooking the H/U straight to the battery, and see if it still blows a fuse.

Matt

HostileJava
03-29-2005, 05:25 PM
You sure you have the valve cover ground on? I've seen that cause all types of wierd problems.

87AccordsterLx
03-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Ya first thing that came to my mind was a ground issue as well. File down the surfaces to your grounds and see if it helps.

Vanilla Sky
03-29-2005, 07:36 PM
also, make sure that all of your joints and/or connectors in your harness are insulated and not making electical contact with anything at all...

you may also want to have your charging system checked (for free at advance auto and at autozone) for good measure...

it does sound like a grounding problem, though... make very sure that all of your grounds have been reattached and are making good contact... there is at least one grouning point on your intake manifold, also... check all of your grounds for corrosion, including the ones under your dashboard...

88LX-iSedan
03-30-2005, 10:10 AM
heheh.. I actually did almost forget to put valve cover ground on when piecing it all back together, but i didn't.

I'm almost sure the problem lies in the car wiring, because i hooked the H/U straight to the battery and it came on... soo

I might just hook everything up normally, but only run a ground to the battery. ..maybe that'll fix it?

Thanks for the replies!

Vanilla Sky
03-30-2005, 10:14 AM
well tou can round on any solid point on the chassis... there's one stock grounding point behind the dash on the firewall directly behind the insturment cluster... i don't see a reason to run a ground to the battery... a new ground to the chassis, sure, just not a new ground to the battery...

you may want to run a new positive wire up to the battery, and be sure to fuse it according to wire size as close to the battery terminal as possible...

88LX-iSedan
03-30-2005, 10:21 AM
well tou can round on any solid point on the chassis... there's one stock grounding point behind the dash on the firewall directly behind the insturment cluster... i don't see a reason to run a ground to the battery... a new ground to the chassis, sure, just not a new ground to the battery...

you may want to run a new positive wire up to the battery, and be sure to fuse it according to wire size as close to the battery terminal as possible...

Thanks, man.. I'll see if i have some wire laying around, so i can get this done.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

88LX-iSedan
03-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Well, i decided to hook it up as i normally would have, before getting into taking the dash apart..etc and it's working now... WTF!

Maybe the wiring harness was loose, or something.

Anyway, thanks for the help you all!

Vanilla Sky
03-30-2005, 01:02 PM
sounds like a touchy connection, then...

glad you got it fixed