PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my 86 Hatch?

Boogerbub
03-29-2005, 04:50 PM
Hey all,
I'm new, so naturally I want to tell all but I'll try to be very brief- here goes:
-Originally more of an american muscle kind of guy
-I've had everything from V8 Jeeps to, sadly, a mitsubishi mirage
-I had a hatchback accord a long time ago and loved it, but hated the auto tranny
-Finally, my gas guzzling (and non-dependable) truck made me decide on getting another old Honda and I would settle for nothing less than an 86-89 style Accord Hatchback LXi with a 5 speed.
-They where outrageously expensive, around $1500 for total junk!
-I looked for over a month willing to travel a few hundred miles or so
-Found one on ebay in Georgia in great shape and was willing to pay big bucks for it and drive it home during Christmas holidays but it sold locally
-Wife is from Georgia by the way, would have been there anyway
-Finally found one super cheap in Maine, but how stupid is that?
-He dropped the price, twice!
-Now I gotta call
-The guy is hurting bad and I end up getting the car and two tickets to Maine for me and my wife for $550!
-I'm happy, got the car and a nice little vacation and the car runs great
-I figured out why people fall in love with these little rice burners and I will be painting it this weekend.

The problem now is, performance. Everyone here seems to be completely lost with the SOHC and everything about it. I have found a 95 Integra with a 1.8 non v-tec engine. I can purchase the whole thing- engine, tranny, and all electrical components for $600. Should I do it? I have been reading up on swaps as much as I can, but they never seem to answer MY questions.

I want around 160 wheel HP. Is this cheap and easy with the 2.0 SOHC engine I have? If not, will I even need the tranny from the integra or will the engine bolt up to my tranny (this is a fantasy, I'll admit).

I figure the easiest way to go is for me to pull the head off and port it, take it in and get it flowed. I have figured this out and other than a lot of labor on my part, it's only around $50 to get it flowed. Now, I figure I'll need more fuel. What injectors, if any, will work? I read on here about some different intakes, will anything work on my engine?

Any help is appreciated,
JP

88LXi68
03-29-2005, 05:33 PM
I want around 160 wheel HP. Is this cheap and easy with the 2.0 SOHC engine I have? If not, will I even need the tranny from the integra or will the engine bolt up to my tranny (this is a fantasy, I'll admit).

I figure the easiest way to go is for me to pull the head off and port it, take it in and get it flowed. I have figured this out and other than a lot of labor on my part, it's only around $50 to get it flowed. Now, I figure I'll need more fuel. What injectors, if any, will work? I read on here about some different intakes, will anything work on my engine?

Any help is appreciated,
JP

welcome to 3geez...

I havent seen any 160whp A20s, but there is a 140whp one with a stock bottom end. I guess getting some higher comp pistons (need to be custom made) and shaving the head down to bump the compression would help out along with a nice cam and good port work.

If you do the B18 you will need the b18 tranny and fabricate some sort of mount system, shift rods, mix match axles, and do some wiring. Either way I hope you have the money to spend because even if you just throw in the b18 you will not be happy.

I went the all motor route with a B18 non-vtec block and b16 vtec head. The whole swap wasnt cheap, but it sure is worth it. Although, it would be nice to see someone stick with the A20 and get some good numbers.

Boogerbub
03-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Thanks so much for your imput. Do you have any idea where to start on the injection and stuff? I am fabing a ram air hood, should be finished tommorrow with the actual hood. I just didn't want to go with the common so called "cold air intake." The carbon fiber looked great but i couldn't find one with any kind of design, hence- I make my own.

140whp? I could deffinately live with that. Is this guy on the forum? That's probably around 160 at the crank, hu? He got this without juice or turbo, right? Would that require any clutch work? Sorry, I'm not in any way new to the performance world, just to the ricer's.

JP

Also, what info do you have on cams and where do I find out the specific engine I have without actually breaking into the engine?

88LXi68
03-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Thanks so much for your imput. Do you have any idea where to start on the injection and stuff? I am fabing a ram air hood, should be finished tommorrow with the actual hood. I just didn't want to go with the common so called "cold air intake." The carbon fiber looked great but i couldn't find one with any kind of design, hence- I make my own.

140whp? I could deffinately live with that. Is this guy on the forum? That's probably around 160 at the crank, hu? He got this without juice or turbo, right? Would that require any clutch work? Sorry, I'm not in any way new to the performance world, just to the ricer's.

JP

Also, what info do you have on cams and where do I find out the specific engine I have without actually breaking into the engine?

In my opinion a ram air set up is useless unless you want to run carbs or will run Individual Throttle Bodies (ITBs). I would just stick with a cold air intake. Also, looking into changing the intake manifold with a b16 one because the stock a20 manifold is a bottleneck.

Search for user "Justanothermike" he is with Openloopmotorsports and they have 88 accord N/A. I would definitely upgrade the clutch and add the same aluminum flywheel they used. They also make a couple different cam grinds and could probably set you up with some good stuff. Your engine is an A20AX 2.0 Sohc 110hp 86-87 122hp 88-89.

Boogerbub
03-29-2005, 06:31 PM
You Rock!
Thanks

Boogerbub
03-29-2005, 06:34 PM
Sorry, but what cars should I be on the look out for with a b16 and how will I know for sure? That's not a V-tec is it?

88LXi68
03-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Sorry, but what cars should I be on the look out for with a b16 and how will I know for sure? That's not a V-tec is it?

B16 is Vtec and comes in 99-00 Civic Si and some JDM civics. If you look on Ebay you will find numerous aftermarket B16 manifolds. Also, try the classifieds at g2ic.com and honda-tech.com for people who want to get rid of theirs...and as I just typed that I just remembered I have two just sitting at home. If your interested let me know. The manifold stud holes will need to be redrilled..do a search some guys of have done it. Its not hard to do...

Boogerbub
03-29-2005, 06:44 PM
I have just been looking and found one on this site and I already read about the swap earlier but wasn't aware that my engine was called an A20. WOW, I am virgin here! Do you have the frame rails and all that jazz? I guess what I should ask is, what else will I need. How much do you want?

88LXi68
03-29-2005, 07:09 PM
check your PMs