PDA

View Full Version : MY 87 LX-i Hatch threw a Check Engine Light today...

Nighthawk
08-05-2002, 06:30 PM
I just went outside and checked the ECU under the driver's seat, and it blinked 12 times and then paused. According to the FAQ, that means that my EGR sensor or valve is bad or unplugged.

I've noticed a slight loss of power since the light came on.

How much is this going to cost me to fix, and is it a serious problem? I'm a technical individual, but I don't do much work on my car myself.

pimp86LX
08-05-2002, 06:44 PM
your EGR valve may still be ok, jus take it out and check the passage. If its clear try replacin the valve. I'm not sure about the cost

pimp86LX
08-05-2002, 07:11 PM
your EGR valve may still be ok, jus take it out and check the passage. If its clear try replacin the valve. I'm not sure about the cost

1988starter
08-06-2002, 07:10 AM
On my friends tempoit just needed some good cleaning we used carb cleaner.

smufguy
08-08-2002, 06:46 AM
yep carb cleaners are good to use on anything (except painted and plastic stuff) they like take out the grime like hell.

MoonScryer
09-16-2002, 08:31 PM
I had the exact problem. replaced the EGR valve, various sensors, etc. It was not the problem.
There is piece called the Constant Vacuum Control (CVC) Valve in the "black box" (the thing with all the vacuum hoses going to it) that goes bad after a time. You need to replace this. It cost me $60 from the local dealership. I also replaced the Air Chamber that was attatched to it by a small piece of vacuum hose, also in the black box; that chamber was $5.

Took me 5 mins in the dealership parking lot to put it on. Unscrew the top of the black box, pull out the guts with everything still attatched, remove the one screw attatching the CVC valve, turn the guts over, and work the hoses loose. Put it on, put it all back together. Oh, watch the black box, sometimes it's a bitch to get the vacuum hose router thing in the right place.

Reset the ECU (pull the battery clamp off), and the check engine light went away after that. Simple.

superdesi
01-01-2005, 02:20 PM
I had the exact problem. replaced the EGR valve, various sensors, etc. It was not the problem.
There is piece called the Constant Vacuum Control (CVC) Valve in the "black box" (the thing with all the vacuum hoses going to it) that goes bad after a time. You need to replace this. It cost me $60 from the local dealership. I also replaced the Air Chamber that was attatched to it by a small piece of vacuum hose, also in the black box; that chamber was $5.

Took me 5 mins in the dealership parking lot to put it on. Unscrew the top of the black box, pull out the guts with everything still attatched, remove the one screw attatching the CVC valve, turn the guts over, and work the hoses loose. Put it on, put it all back together. Oh, watch the black box, sometimes it's a bitch to get the vacuum hose router thing in the right place.

Reset the ECU (pull the battery clamp off), and the check engine light went away after that. Simple.
I need some help please. Moonscryer can you please contact me. I did the same exact thing as you did but I think I messed up.