PDA

View Full Version : 1990 16 valve FI motor swap

boise49ers
03-29-2005, 10:24 PM
My son has a 1986 LXI with the 12 valve fuel injected motor. Will a 16 valve 1990 Civic fuel injected motor bolt in place of it. His timing belt broke and bent the valves.

NXRacer
03-29-2005, 11:28 PM
simple answer?? nope.

better to go with the original motor. they're usually pretty cheap at wrecking yards.

MrBen
03-29-2005, 11:34 PM
... and why didn't you move this Caleb? :tongue:

Thread moved to Technical

A20A1
03-29-2005, 11:43 PM
as long as you let em know you moved it... :)

SteveDX89
03-30-2005, 03:53 AM
As Caleb said, it would a pain to do and pretty much worthless cause you'd have less power than you have now. Check the junkyards. You should be able to get a whole motor for a few hundred dollars.

boise49ers
03-30-2005, 04:59 AM
I already have the other vehicle. I don't really want 2 extra motors. Does any one know what pains I will run into ? Maybe some one has already done this swap. Lack of power isn't important at all. He uses it to get to work and school. He doesn't even wash it or vacuum it. Transportation only. Mainly what I'm looking for here is to be pointed in the direction for info related to making the swap.
Thanks

SteveDX89
03-30-2005, 05:08 AM
You will need custom made mounts, custom axles, custom shift linkage, and then you have to tackle the wiring. No one has done a swap like this. If you go for it, good luck but remember you'll be the guinea pig for it.

snow_man_20
03-30-2005, 05:10 AM
nevermind steve beat me to it. Please delete post.

SteveDX89
03-30-2005, 05:15 AM
Also, from I've heard from other board members is that the A20 is not an interference motor. Basically meaning if the timing belt breaks, the pistons won't hit the valves. Before you starting pulling motors, etc., do a leakdown test. You'll be able to see if there's anything not sealing the combustion chamber. If you're still not sure, pull the head and check all the valves.

snow_man_20
03-30-2005, 05:23 AM
Also, from I've heard from other board members is that the A20 is not an interference motor. .

Now that you say that i'm shure it's not. I have read that many times before.

Immeraufdemhund
03-30-2005, 05:34 AM
i've seen a20's with bent valves from broken timing belts. And the computer at advance auto parts says it IS an interference motor. I dont see why it wouldn't cause the f22 is an interferance and the only difference is one extra valve per cylinder.

on the subject of swapping the D series motor. (i would assume it's a 1.5 liter, but i guess they also came with a 1.6) Before i would attempt it i would check that the axels are atleast the same length. this way you dont have to worry about welding or getting a new fancy franky axel. Next i would take both subframes with control arms off. The Accord will be easy. There are 8 bolts that hold in the subframe on the accord, and i would assume so does the civic. To save your self time of fabricating check to see if the subframe's even mount up. If they dont you'll have to make the accord subframe have the exact same mount measurments. You'll have to measure from the center of the sub frame on both vehicles and be exact. Be preparred to rip everything out from the back seats forward. That includes dash, steering wheel, pedals, carpet, seats, heater, a/c, blower motor...etc etc.. Everything else you'll have to figure out. GOOOD LUCK!

snow_man_20
03-30-2005, 05:41 AM
i've seen a20's with bent valves from broken timing belts. And the computer at advance auto parts says it IS an interference motor. I dont see why it wouldn't cause the f22 is an interferance and the only difference is one extra valve per cylinder.\

first time for every thing,

f22=a20+1valveX4???

Immeraufdemhund
03-30-2005, 05:48 AM
first time for every thing,

f22=a20+1valveX4???

f22 (16v) a20(12v) well i was trying to compare it mechanically. Cause i've had both motors apart. hehehe that's why Momma calls me SUN....i know it's a dumb explination...but if they are built the same wouldn't that mean that they break the same?

I've seen 1 person change his belt after it broke on the a20 and couldn't get it to start so we did a compression check and well they were bent. The bent valves didn't pop all the way back up with the springs. His pistons held up to the damage, but he had to send the head out.

Robs89LXi
03-30-2005, 05:54 AM
Another suggestion: rebuild your A20 motor. It is not that expensive, and would certainly be alot less work. The A20 is a very solid platform, and should last for many years with a decent rebuild. Pull the head and look around before you do anything else. Check your local machine shops for prices.

snow_man_20
03-30-2005, 06:45 AM
The point is puting that civic motor.... Is that the 1.5L??? If it is that would really not be good. Anyway the last thing i would do is try to put that motor in.

AccordEpicenter
03-30-2005, 07:26 AM
honda says the A20 IS an interference engine, but i havent seen one with broken valves yet

boise49ers
03-31-2005, 05:59 AM
OK so the Civic motor sounds like it isn't going to work with out major mods also meaning major $. I may get lucky with the valves on the Accord.
So where is a good place excluding my local paper ? I'll still do that , but where can I list the civic for sale where Honda folks can see it ? The motor and tranny are in great shape. Sounds sweet. The axles seem OK. Has a flat and crushed roof so I can't test drive it. I'm just looking to recoup the $200 I invested into it. 1990 Civic Fuel injected 1600. 140K I'm in Boise, Idaho
To spendy to ship parts. I'll part it out here or just sell it whole. :)
Thanks

BlueBead
03-31-2005, 01:02 PM
Good call man
From the sounds of things you need to check the head and get a new one if its screwed.
Since this is just a cheap transport, I'd try the leakdown test 1st and go from there. If you're lucky the valves are ok and all you need is a new timing belt.
Otherwise I'd just slap a new head on there.
As far as selling it, Ebay is the best universal place to advertize
Good luck

Neuspeed87lx
03-31-2005, 07:46 PM
i broke my timing belt in my 87 lx.... valves were bent.... but i would still have the head checked in yours before you start swapping motors

my89accord
07-09-2005, 09:47 PM
You could always rebuild the head if you have the know how. Its not that hard if you have a valve compressor and someone who knows how to do this. I have done so myself on a Nissan after the belt broke. It takes time, but is worth it in the long run, not to mention less of a pain then replacing the engine.

POS carb
07-14-2005, 05:31 PM
if it's "just transportation" go to the u-pull-it junkyards, you can get an entire '86-89 engine for $150-$250 and it'll be 1/2 the trouble of trying to adapt and rewire a new engine.
These cars have a unique platform to any other Honda and therefore you'd end up spending that much money on just custom axles, add on a new ECU, rewiring the sensors, buying ($600 ish) or fabricating custom mounts, the gauges would read wrong, and of course, trouble shooting mistakes.
Go for an 88-89 low milage LXi engine (i.e. between 100k-150k) and check the oil first for water (milky or crusty oil) or metal debris (with a magnet).

Or you can just get a remanufactured cylinder head, top-end gasket kit (includes intake, throttle body, exhaust, head, valve cover, and distributor o-rings) and a set of new head bolts (Honda or auto parts) and of couse a new timing belt. With a new water and oil pump the car will be like new. This is also a good time to go through and replace all the coolant hoses and misc. vacuum hoses