PDA

View Full Version : Grinding Noise Near Starter Help!!!

frankie89
03-30-2005, 11:26 AM
first of all it dose crank but it sounds like the starter is having a tough time engaging the flywheel or whatever it gose too..This has gotten worse with every start, now it just wont turn on the grinding is real bad, could it be the wheel is messed up or the starter is fucked up agian. I just changed it like 2months ago.. please help me out members becuz im afraid to start it up and something worse happens.... :dunno:

mouchyn
03-30-2005, 11:42 AM
have you pulled the starter off and checked it out?

on all three of my 3Gs, there is a little opening on the flywheel cover underneath the car. Maybe you could crawl under there and take a look at the teeth on the flywheel.

SE-i_WinterBomb
04-03-2005, 03:45 PM
I had a similar problem. When I pulled the starter out, the teeth on the end of the starter gear were all stripped. It was an aftermarket bosch starter that looked fairly new (previous owner installed). My guess was it was the wrong starter for the car, or defective. I went to the junkyard and grabbed an oem starter with like 90k & swapped em and its been fine since. I would definitely pull it out and check it---its only 2 bolts.

Also, when you replace it--make sure your new one is correct according to your tranny type. Good luck!!