PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Flex Connector

jayshonda
03-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Is there a cheap and dirty repair for a leak in the flexible part of the downpipe to catylic converter? Or is it a bite the bullet and buy a whole new downpipe? Is there a reasonable universal flex pipe or is the only option that junky stuff you see on ghetto cars?

Moodybluesr
03-30-2005, 01:15 PM
Any decent exhaust shop should be able to weld in a new flex pipe for you for under $100.

Blkblurr
03-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Just depends on how long you want it to last. Buy a Honda original and it will last about 200K miles. Buy an off brand and maybe get 100K miles. etc.

jayshonda
03-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Is there a "bolt on" alternative to do myself? I am getting ready to sell the car and don't want the exhaust noise. That doesn't mean I want to wrap it with muffler fix crap though. I wouldn't do that to a buyer.

danronian
03-30-2005, 02:46 PM
They sell mesh to wrap around them that isn't exactly tape that should last a bit longer than the tape, I'm not sure though since I've never used it myself.

YK86
03-30-2005, 04:43 PM
I've done a few now but the easiest was to take it to the local Midas and they cut and welded a new universal one in for I think somewhere around $100. The cleanest and least time consuming way. The other two I did myself. I bought a 12" long flex pipe and clamped them on after cutting the original one off. You have to cut the sleeve thing that holds the mesh stuff first so it would be easier to get the downpipe off and out of the car (or drop and pull out the whole exhaust from under the car if you can't get the cat bolts off).

Blkblurr
03-31-2005, 05:01 AM
I paid $198 for an after market down pipe with the flex coupling and flange to connect to the cat. This is a bolt on but I had to cut the old bolts between the cat and the B pipe. I just bought new bolts from Advance auto. The flex portion is not just the mesh. There is a flexible piece of tubing inder the mesh.

Robs89LXi
03-31-2005, 05:51 AM
Junkyard. If not, ebay has universal flex-pipes, but they will require welding to fit. A mufler shop should be able to fix you up for not much though.