PDA

View Full Version : having a weird gas problem.

Immeraufdemhund
03-30-2005, 05:50 PM
I'm getting roughly 8mpg. And i figgure for an f22 that's bad. I found That the tps was bad and something else was bad on my old TB thing. so i replaced that. I dont see or hear any vacuum leaks. I know i'm running super rich, but i can't figure out why. I tried timing the thing by ear, but it doens't like that all that much. It's a bear to start up when she's cold. (takes about 15 to 20 seconds of cranking) She surges a bit while ideling. I can't get it to properly fast idle. It's fast idle is barely above 1000. It sounds more like normal idle than fast idle. When it warms up it idles around 250 and 400. I have a new fuel filter, but have yet to put it on. When i was playing with the timing i had my finger close to the wires and a very very small arc was appearing on my finger. They were blue so that's good i think. I've been shocked before by bad wires and this shock was much less. i could hardly feel it. (does that still mean they are bad?) I still nead to check my fuel lines for leaks and super rust, but i haven't gotten to that yet. When my ign. is on and the car is off i hear a humming sound (like the fuel pump) but it never turns off. I wonder if that means that i have a leak.

any ideas on what i should start with? this is the 4g, but i figure the problem is similar enough to a 3g. thanx guys.

mouchyn
03-30-2005, 07:51 PM
do you see of smell liquid gas?
your plug wires shouldn't arc to your finger. get those changed for sure.

have you checked your cam timing? it could be off a tooth.

a bad TPS will also kill gas milage. When mine was bad on my 3G prelude, i wasn't getting buy 10 mpg either.

Immeraufdemhund
04-02-2005, 05:41 AM
ok I FINALLY FOUND IT!

yes my wires were bad. And i was off one tooth. and the biggest problem i had was that my computer was only had 2 of the 3 plugs plugged in. the final thing i found was the fuel filter was in desperate need of changing. She idles like a purring Lion now.

I did a compression test cause someone said my valves may be bent since the cam gear slipt. But i got 180 across the board so i was thrilled about that. I am so happy i have 30 miles on the car and the gas gage just barely moved.unlike last time i was already down to half a tank! Thanx guys for all the help with the rebuild and the pointers.