PDA

View Full Version : car feels unstable on the road

rdn
03-31-2005, 01:56 AM
hi guys,

i have a wierd prob with my accord. while driving at, say, 90km/h (60mph) on roads that are not so good.....when i drive over some bad spots, the rear part of the car feels like not really attached to the wheels...the feeling is like the angle (alignment) of the rear wheels changes and the rear part of the car tends to dift to the sides (mostly to the right i think).

if the road is really good, no problems.
(suspension is ok)

what can be wrong?...it's really scarry driving on snow/icy roads

cheers!

snow_man_20
03-31-2005, 02:15 AM
hi guys,

i have a wierd prob with my accord. while driving at, say, 90km/h (60mph) on roads that are not so good.....when i drive over some bad spots, the rear part of the car feels like not really attached to the wheels...the feeling is like the angle (alignment) of the rear wheels changes and the rear part of the car tends to dift to the sides (mostly to the right i think).

if the road is really good, no problems.
(suspension is ok)

what can be wrong?...it's really scarry driving on snow/icy roads

cheers!

If the suspension is ok then the only thing left is tires and tires shouldn't do that. Are you shure the suspension is ok??? Because that eliminates alot. Sounds like bad struts to me but that's suspension.

rdn
03-31-2005, 02:31 AM
tires make no difference ...same thing with summer/winter tires

by suspension i ment the dumper/spring that feels very ok...

shepherd79
03-31-2005, 04:51 AM
did you try slowing down on bad roads? that helps a lot too.

snow_man_20
03-31-2005, 05:30 AM
did you try slowing down on bad roads? that helps a lot too.

lol, smart a$$, but good piont.

mouchyn
03-31-2005, 08:20 AM
use google to find out the different @home alignment tests you can do. check your alignment.

also pull the wheels off and check all the control arms and ball joints. if the boots are ripped, the joints are probably bad.

look at shocks really well. can you see oil coming out of the shock anywhere? if so, the seals are blown and you need to replace them.

BlueBead
03-31-2005, 12:45 PM
Sounds like a control arm/ball joint issue to me, but you won't know until you start looking things over from up close.
Otherwise, I'd listen to sheperd79

A20A1
03-31-2005, 01:27 PM
Whats your tire pressure, it could be low on one side.

EightyNineELecks_eye
03-31-2005, 01:34 PM
i had the same prob with my car. more than likely its the rear upper ball joints. get the car up in the air and push on the top of the tire. if it gives way, youve got a problem.....

smufguy
03-31-2005, 09:52 PM
Do u experience it when ur driving straight and come up on an uneven road or does it happen while u turn. How good are your springs and shox? My car jumps a lil (so does my friend's sti) when me and him take a turn with bumps. its just that our cars (3geez) are soo light, that they are not that firm on the ground, esp in the back.

rdn
04-02-2005, 12:07 PM
i had the same prob with my car. more than likely its the rear upper ball joints. get the car up in the air and push on the top of the tire. if it gives way, youve got a problem.....

thanks for the tip...i fact...even with the car on the ground, when pushing the rear part of the car to the sides, it looks like the body of the car is sliding (a lot) on the rear wheels...