PDA

View Full Version : California Emissions

TTSpider
03-31-2005, 09:03 PM
Ok, first of all this is my first post, Ive been lurking around here for a while. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Ive used the search and Ive found nothing to answer my question, so here it goes. I went to buy a MSD blaster 2 coil from summitracing.com and it tells me "Some parts are not legal for sale or use in California on any pollution controlled motor vehicles." So whats the deal? is this true, or is an aftermarket coil smog safe in CA?
Again, im very sorry if this has been asked before so bear with me :)
oh and if you're wondering. I have a '89 LX sedan...

smufguy
03-31-2005, 09:13 PM
well i heard in cali that u guys open up the hood to see what was replaced and if anything is apart from stock and does not have a "50 State legal" form or sticker on it, then it will be denied of passing. So as long as you have the "50 state carb certification" ((which is usually stamped on the part or has a sticker on it", you should be able to pass.

A20A1
03-31-2005, 09:19 PM
MSD should provide you with a sticker that says 50 states legal ... or the CARB sticker... it's silvery and you just stick it on your hood ( it says something like: "this vehicle is equiped with... blah blah blah".
I tossed mine out when I bought the coil cause I didn't need it.

TTSpider
03-31-2005, 09:33 PM
cool thanks, you never know with this state anymore I swear the rules get more strict every day :ugh:

BlueBead
03-31-2005, 09:38 PM
you could always hang on the stock one for when you get smogged...
its sidestepping, but if they get nitpicky it might be worth it.

Busted_Blue
04-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Blaster 2 is carb legal. There should be a sticker that comes with it. I have one on my car for my MSD 6A ignition box. :D

The EO number is D-40-37 if you are wondering.