PDA

View Full Version : noisy suspension

dXsquared
08-05-2002, 09:14 PM
when ever i go over a big bump i hear a loud clank or bang type noise from the rear of my car. it sounds like shit. its kinda embarasing too. i have checked heat shields after heatsheilds and i conclude its the 16 year old suspention. i am hopin someone can give me a bit of help but dont just say "spings and struts" cuz i have no cash right now and i am goin to order coilovers and shox or air any way at the end of the summer.
thanx
Travis

OldSchoolSwap
08-06-2002, 06:12 AM
Ok, I won't say "springs or struts" but I can tell you to check your ball joints for play, once they go real old and bad, they tend to have a clunking sound once they loose all the grease.

dXsquared
08-06-2002, 07:30 AM
my dad told me to buy all the ball joints possible for the vehicle (upper, lower, front, rear) and bring them to him. he is a Vehicle Tech in the army so it will be done free. how much are they approx? i dont feel like goin to the store right now cuz im in my boxers and a t shirt. and thanks for not sayin springs and struts.
Travis

OldSchoolSwap
08-06-2002, 12:30 PM
Well, I got all of them new from honda and it all ran from $200 to $300.

But if you get them from a local shop it should be about half of that i would say.

Here's the list of what i bought:

2 Front upper ball joints
2 Front Lower ball joints
2 Outer tie rod ball joints
2 Upper rear ball joints

smufguy
08-06-2002, 05:23 PM
guess what oldschool, i gotta buy em too i guess, my car makes this dump thump sound when i go ver small bumps or holes on the road.

OldSchoolSwap
08-07-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by smufguy
guess what oldschool, i gotta buy em too i guess, my car makes this dump thump sound when i go ver small bumps or holes on the road.
Most shops will raise your car up and check your suspension for free, take a look at it yourself (while there) as well and make sure they don't feed you a line of shit.

My 89 Accord Lxi
08-08-2002, 08:09 PM
mine does the same thing but its in the front

ACCORD EX
08-10-2002, 03:05 AM
my bet is on the ball joints ! be sure to check them or what happened to OLDSCHOOLSWAP could happen to you !

MIKE

OldSchoolSwap
08-12-2002, 04:57 PM
well, keep in mind that our suspension wasn't really designed to withstand such a hard hit. I hit that bump so hard that it split the joint in half, meening that the ball inside the assembly is still inside and the stud part just snapped!