PDA

View Full Version : Gas pooling on top of Throttle Plate

Brandons1313
04-03-2005, 08:19 AM
Hey Everyone. So my car has been giving me trouble since about december. But yesterday it was bad. When I started the car up I noticed that it was flooded a bit, so I dit the WOT thing to get it started up and I drive off not thinking to much about it. I got down to the first stop light and the sucker died. It was harder to start this time. Then I got down to the KFC parking lot to check it out (it died) and notcied that there was gas pooling on top of the throttle plate (both barrels). There was gas dripping into both barrels out of the jets or venturis(not sure what they are called). Any way after three mins of cranking and WOT trying to get the car started, I managed to drive it home. Looked at it again and same thing going on. It even drips for a bit with the car off, which is wierd.

Thinking that somethings up with the float. Anyone have any suggestions on checking it out? Car is 87 accord LX. I need to fix this sucker before the Cat does a meltdown.

Thanks Brandons1313

FyreDaug
04-03-2005, 03:19 PM
You can adjust the float level by turning the screw by the window on the driver side of the carb. Might wanna clean it off first. The gas level should be in the middle

A20A1
04-03-2005, 03:24 PM
You may need to repair the float valve O-rings

Brandons1313
04-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Thank for the replys. I decided to do a carb rebuild sunday. I have it all put back together now except for my choke pull-off. There is a hole in the diaphram and i'm trying to find a new one. Napa doesn't even show one in their computers and shucks has the wrong part listed in their computers. Does anyone know the part # or a place where i can get a replacement diaphram? Thanks.

A20A1
04-05-2005, 12:11 PM
I dunno... I had the same problem with Checker / Shcuks.... they gave me a prelude carb rebuild kit instead of the accord one.

Brandons1313
04-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Well i put my carb back on the car and it is the best she has ever run. The only problem is my idle shoots up to 3000rpm when i start it and 2000 warm. So I think I need to tweek with the throttle stop screw. When it goes up to 3000 rpm and I turn it off it will diesel on me for about 10 seconds. I am assuming my plugs are fouled so I will replace those. i am also guessing that carbon deposits are assisting in it dieseling. So anyone know a way to get rid of the carbon without doing a engine rebuild?

Oh yeah. It seems like I called about every part store in washington state trying to find a choke pull off. No luck. Any way to repair the one i already have? There is just a small hole in it.

A20A1
04-06-2005, 09:42 PM
well 3000 rpm will deisel just cause the idle is so high.

As for the diaphragm, not sure if you can repair it... maybe carefuly with a rubber bicycle tire repair kit.

I may have a spare choke puller laying around, you should get a new O-ring to seal the internal vacuum pipe to the diaphragm.

http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4183