PDA

View Full Version : Coolent leak

sb_hbackDX
04-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Hey guys, i have a coolent leak problem. Its some type of valve or connector located under my intake manifold( its bolted to it ). There are two rubber hoses comming from it also; one goes to the Carb and the other comes from another pipe connected to the water pump. Now i know its for coolent but what is up with the metal thing ? What the hell is it ? Thats where its leaking from! I was wondering if i could just take the metal thing off and place another small piece of hose there instead. What do yall think ? :dunno:

shepherd79
04-03-2005, 10:36 AM
the metal thing is a temperature valve. it is there to allow coolant flow when it needs it.
the only way you can find them is at junk yards or at honda dealers.
i wouldn't take it off, it is there for a reason.

sb_hbackDX
04-03-2005, 10:49 AM
So i suppose it would be a bad thing if it was continously letting coolent into the carb eh? O yea my damn overflow tank somehow has a crack, no clue how it got there but im having trouble finding them and they look like a biatch to get out, any suggestions ? Thanks for the reply.

shepherd79
04-03-2005, 11:30 AM
overflow tank is very easy to remove. all you have to do is remove the battery tray and it will pull out.
depending on the size of the crack, you may be able to fix it or just get a used one from junk yard.

sb_hbackDX
04-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks Shepherd79 for the reply but i have a problem. Like you said you can only find that temp. valve at a Honda Store but i have to drive back to school tonight so i fabricated a copper pipe with connectors on each end and connected the two hoses together. I believe that now the carb is constantly getting coolent running through it. Is that really bad ? :dunno: Its running very well and below the Cold mark on the dash. I will eventually order the part but for now is this fine?

BlueBead
04-03-2005, 09:42 PM
You should get that peice ASAP.
I believe that valve is there to keep the carb warm so that the gas will vapourize properly. Its not supposed to get heat all of the time; thats why there is a thermovalve there.
I'd go with a new part on this; they do wear out after a while.
getto fix is fine for a little while, but if you want your carb to live for awhile you should go with the real-deal.
my 2cents - G'luck!

shepherd79
04-04-2005, 05:25 AM
yeah, the way you did will work for a while, but make sure you get the part.

sb_hbackDX
04-04-2005, 05:15 PM
First off i would like to thank you guys for all the help, I ordered the apparent "thermovalve" today and it was expensive as hell; $60 at Honda.
Maybe im taking this too far but im still curious why the valve does what it does. I took the thing apart today in an attempt to figure this out. There are no sensors or wires leading to this valve , its just internal springs and smaller valves. I figure that when the temp in the system rises so does the pressure, so why would this valve open and allow flow of warm coolent into the carbs internal channels at higher temps? Is it a form of blow-off valve for pressure release? BlueBead said it was to help gas vaporization,which makes sense, but whats the carb heater for then ? If no one responds i would understand :lol: cuz sometimes i take stuff too far. :werd: