PDA

View Full Version : Cut My Springs Today

Twisted 87lxi
08-06-2002, 03:43 AM
Just wanted to add that whoever said that cutting your springs makes your ride bounce around and very crappy.........well their wrong, I cut my springs about 2.25" exactly and the car handles better than ever and the "bounce" (the little bit that there is) is hardly noticable and when my friend said something about it I asked him if he thought it was bad and he just added by saying "nah, it makes the ride more enjoyable." So once again, thank god that the 3geez "How To" section exists :p

OldSchoolSwap
08-06-2002, 05:59 AM
Boy! i'm glad i am not you :D

pssst... thats not a good idea...

1988starter
08-06-2002, 07:34 AM
do your tires look like ?/ \ now. Well save for some new tires. I am with oldschool.

Mantis88LX
08-06-2002, 07:42 AM
hehe i did the same on the front springs, rides sweet, no much bounce, and the ride seems stiffer, think im gonna cut teh back springs even with front later, just wating for them to fully settle.

Mantis88LX
08-06-2002, 07:43 AM
ohh yea and i used the tokico 1'' drop spings, i didnt cut my stock springs,

1988starter
08-06-2002, 07:44 AM
good to hear mantis where did you get them and what struts do you use I only want a little drop. Wait wasn't I the one who said don't cut your springs on AIM.

A20A1
08-06-2002, 07:49 AM
I cut my stock springs... it rides better then the crappy 90-97 max speed coilovers i got for $360.

My car was slammed! but the tires wore out on the outside more then on the inside edge of the tire.

kennycm
08-06-2002, 08:26 AM
I cut my springs and I love how it rides and handles now. I'll get some new springs later, but i wanted it lowered now.

YK86
08-06-2002, 09:42 AM
That's good to hear. I still believe if you don't overdo the cutting, and don't use blown struts, cut springs will look and ride just fine. Just cut a little by little each time and install in the car to see how much it lowered. Stop right when it's a bit higher than you want because it will settle. The wheels look like / \ when we use coilovers and lowering springs too.

OldSchoolSwap
08-06-2002, 12:48 PM
Read this link, it also talks about cut springs. http://209.151.81.66/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4306

jigga225
08-06-2002, 04:40 PM
OK I know the deal cause I cut my front springs.
First of all I wouldn't have cut them if suspension tech wouldnt have made those shitty things talkin about a 2 inch drop when my car looked the same after I put them on.
Then I put dropzone 2.5" springs on the front which looked a little better but not tight like I wanted.
SO i cut 2 coils the susp. techs for the front.

Facts:
1. The ride does bounce more.
2. I prefer the stock ride.
3. Little bumps in the road feel like big ones
4. It does look tight.
5. But I sacraficed my nice ride quality

BTW i am using tokico hp's

Twisted 87lxi
08-06-2002, 05:39 PM
Yea so my car's tires look like / \ but i'd rather sacrafice my tires for a great looking car then not ya know?

smufguy
08-06-2002, 05:49 PM
Okay, u are not only gonna sacrifice your tires. ur gonna kill your whole damn shocks, your balljoints your tie rods and every damn crap thats on your car. like it was said earlier, our car was stock 0 degree camber all around. So u gotta be out of this world to run it without camber kit. I hope ur just kidding around about sacrificnig stuff.

OldSchoolSwap
08-06-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Twisted 87lxi
Yea so my car's tires look like / \ but i'd rather sacrafice my tires for a great looking car then not ya know?
Get a camber kit or prelude arms. It will make this >> / \ into >> 11 :D you get the point!
And will keep your tires rolling and gripping much better.

Twisted 87lxi
08-06-2002, 08:01 PM
I was planning on getting a chamber kit when I buy my Coilovers (which is going to be happening in about a month or so). But I am just a little impatient, thus I cut my springs (primarily as to see what my car would look like), so i really don't think i'm going to rip through my suspension like smuf states in that short amount of time.

1988starter
08-07-2002, 06:26 AM
No only can you sacrifice your tires but if your balljoints go you may sacrifice your life Oldschool knows about this problem.

killerb09
08-07-2002, 06:59 AM
yeah I know guys that were thinkin gthe same thing about o this now nothing can happen till I get my new stuff in a month....now they walk with a limp after teh shit let go and sent them over a gaurd rail and into a ravine....

but hell it's your shoice I know a lot of guys have done it adn if it's done correctly adn each one is the same length you may not have any problems....

but I know guys that have had camber probs adn runied tires in less then 2 weeks....

pearldrop
08-07-2002, 09:33 AM
Camber problems have nothing to do with having cut springs or coilovers or lowering springs. It is an effect of lowering the car no matter how you do it. The same thing with the ball joints. If a ball joint is going to break it will do it whether you have cut springs or stock springs or lowering springs. It doesn't matter.
Many people cut too much spring when they do it and it turns out riding horrible because they are just riding on bumpstop. I drove my car on cut Eibachs for over 120,000 miles and six years with no problems. It rode just fine and I had no complaints.

Jims 86LXI HB
08-07-2002, 11:37 PM
Chris I will point out that you cut non stock springs that are stiffer than stock. And while you don't mention it I do recall that you did not use stock struts. The problem I have with cutting springs is, what if it's not done in a way the protects the properties of the spring. And you need the extra stiffness that aftermarket springs have, to keep you from flatening you bumpstops into use-less-ness and the extra dampning power that performance struts would provide some help in that matter. But even then I highly doubt that the sturts would keep cut stock springs off the bumps stops, DEPENDING of course on how much spring was cut out.

JSid7
08-08-2002, 10:59 PM
Hey twisted, how does your n1 sound..

Mantis88LX
08-09-2002, 10:24 AM
i also used aftermarket springs, i didnt use the stock springs,

A20A1
08-09-2002, 01:09 PM
What some of you don't understand is that once you drop your car withuot chamber adjustment... it will adjust itself in about 2-3years.

I'm telling you now that every time I raised my car back up with stcok springs or adjusting the coils... the tires always looked like this: \ / so now I have to keep my car lowered.

My friend with skunk-2 coil overs also had this problem after a year or so of driving with the car lowered.

Jims 86LXI HB
08-09-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by A20A1
What some of you don't understand is that once you drop your car withuot chamber adjustment... it will adjust itself in about 2-3years.

I'm telling you now that every time I raised my car back up with stcok springs or adjusting the coils... the tires always looked like this: \ / so now I have to keep my car lowered.

My friend with skunk-2 coil overs also had this problem after a year or so of driving with the car lowered.

:huh: Must be a hawaiin thing:lol Cause we can't get away with that over here:D ;)

A20A1
08-09-2002, 01:40 PM
lol... we get busted for lowering cars too. I just try not to get caught.

Mantis88LX
08-11-2002, 04:51 PM
why do u get busted for lowering your ride? thats a gay law :angry:

jigga225
08-11-2002, 07:37 PM
I think he meant that cars dont correct camber themselves over time up here,

I find that automatic camber correction bull jive.

Twisted 87lxi
08-12-2002, 12:54 AM
Well you CAN get cited if your lights aren't at least 22" from the ground, but for our cars that would mean that we'd need like a 4"+ drop which I don't think anyone here is ever planning on doing.

A20A1
08-12-2002, 05:19 PM
no they measure by the "X" method... meaning the middle of the x is the lowest point that the undercarriage can go. they ge strings and run it from the base of the tire to some other point on the opposite tire... if something hits the middle of the x then you are too low.

night
08-12-2002, 09:38 PM
the ONLY acceptable way to cut springs is if there are dead coils.

when you car is down, if there are any coils laying on top of each other, the 'dead' ones can be cut without effecting the ride.

just dont hit any big bumps. your springs will come out of the perch.

Twisted 87lxi
08-15-2002, 01:02 AM
I dont think they will night, their under so much tension that I can't believe that they'd ever come off of the seat, even under the weight of the car.

89BadBoy
10-12-2002, 10:49 PM
okay, i've had this car less then a month. and honestly i have no idea about suspension, and i was driveing last night and an upper arm broke.. i dont know what it is, but my tire is sitting like |\. okay now on to subject. i was thinking about cutting my springs, is that the upper arm off the prelude oldschool was talking about? i figured if it was, i'd cut my springs and replace all 4 corners. i hope you dont mind the dumb question i'm a newbie to this kind of stuff lol

Mike's89AccordLX
10-12-2002, 11:45 PM
Instead of cutting your springs you should have just taken a heat gun and heated them up, you can lower your car that way and it won't be as bad as if you cut them.

Jims 86LXI HB
10-13-2002, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
Instead of cutting your springs you should have just taken a heat gun and heated them up, you can lower your car that way and it won't be as bad as if you cut them.

Don't ever heat springs. By heating a spring you are changing the metal in it from being a spring to just being metal with out spring properties. It's like you sucking the spirng'ness out of it. And if you do that, what's gonna stop you suspension from bottoming out, stock struts aren't gonna have the power to keep you from hitting the bump stops all the time. That is why when someone is trying their best to cut a spring they have the spring sitting in a bucket of water so that the spring never can get hot. Now the best thing to do is to buy a set of lowering springs, only $97 for 2" drop springs from nopi. And you should invest in stiffer struts when you lower a car or it's going to ride and drive poorly. Koni's in the front and tokico's in the rear. But if you have to, cut them, but just a couple coils at most, don't over do it.

89AccordNate
10-13-2002, 07:44 AM
Obviously cutting your springs isnt a good idea. First of all your going to have uneven wear and tear on your tires. Obviously if your to cheap to buy springs, your to cheap to buy a camber kit. I was just at the alignment shop yesterday and I heard 2 guys bitching about how kids would come in there with cut springs and heated springs and how they couldnt fix the alignment. You will smoke a set of tires in 1000 miles if you dont atleast have an alignment done. Yes it doesnt seem like its off, but when they put your car on the machine, its a whole different story. I stood there and looked at the computer monitor and could tell how off my alignment was just by swapping my struts. I have an ingalls kit and they still couldnt fix my alignment all the way.

Your ride BLOWS, period. If your making your car have a 2.25" drop with cut springs, and your saying your ride is good, you obviously dont know what a good ride is. I bet you feel every bump in the road and every change in pavement height is a "hold on" ordeal..and then you bounce to hell and back after the bump. If your having this, your ride sucks.

Nate.