PDA

View Full Version : My Project (seeking a helping hand)

Sundaze
04-04-2005, 06:33 AM
Hello, my name is Christopher, and I'm an Accord junkie living in Oregon.

I've been a visitor of this site for nearly two years now, and I recently debated the purchase of a new car (in these forums), and the abandonment of my car.

This is my project, and I need guidance with part of it.

This is what I can do:

Interior: dark wood floors (there's a laminate that would work perfectly, supported by a cut-out of sheet-steel, plywood, of mat-ruber), black leather side panels, leather seats, suede roof, and a wood window trim.

Anyone here have an automatic?

I'm taking the plastic sheathing that the e-brake and gear shifter sit in and am replacing it with a wood and brass console that will angle up towards the ashtray from a few incehs past the gearshifter, like the Acura's of that period. This'll add compartment room, and maybe a couple of spots for speakers.

You'll love the cup-holder, if you or a friend can fabricate.

I love the backseat of the Accord, and how it folds down to reveal the trunk, but I'm modifying by backseat to have a futon, instead. Why? I'm a writer, and I think that my Accord would make a better travel-car than any other I've seen, if you're wondering why I'd put a futon in. The person I bought my car from used to camp in his, sleeping part in his trunk, and part in the backseat.

The finale touch to the interior--I custom built wood-dash, complete with flip-up compartments.
Extra's--installing a moded X-Box to run my music, undecided stereo system, and a 5.5 screen where the gauges currently reside, a permanant video system (and hopefully night-vision one day, if tech pices keep dropping in the next few years...)
And a sunroof.

What I need help with... The engine.
I'm rebuilding my engine in May or June, and would like to know which route to go. Iv'e read about changing compresion, forced air induction, and a plethora of other things.
I don't want to build a race car, but I would like to make this car's engine respectable, as it will be carrying an extra 80-150 pounds.
I don't care if I'm, not the fastest car on the road, but I'd like to awe some people.
Show them how much I love my honda.

If anyone here has the time or interest to converse about what parts I should put into an engine as it is being rebuilt--to save the cost of having the engine torn apart later--please let me know. Knowing what add-on parts and not-inside-the-engine (like what carb is best) would also be great.
What sort of horse-power can I buy for 2,000? 3,000?

Does this sound too crazy?

I can't offer much, but I would gladly share in-depth details and plans for such an intertior if this interests anyone--I will definatly be posting pictures when done, and I think it'll shine.
I am over-all looking at putting 5,000 into this car--why buy an unpredictable car when I can re-build something I love.
Thanks.

SteveDX89
04-04-2005, 08:59 AM
Post pics of this unreal conversion as it progresses/is finished. I'm excited to see them.

rjudgey
04-04-2005, 09:29 AM
depends on if you are FI or CARB, also if you want to be loud or quiet?
I would go with a blueprinted bottom end, with maybe stock cast Honda pistons or go with forged pistons if you can afford, ACL bearings, Toga High volume oil pump, Head just a basic head job with a mild cam, head and system, then induction side of things, if carbs are your bag then a weber 38/38 would be good or if your FI then a Edlebrock inlet manfild with bigger TB like a 60-65mm would help but you'd be needing a new ECU and a few other things.
What kinda power you looking for? 150bhp? 175bhp? 200bhp?
Also with the added weight make sure you get a really good clutch kit to hold the power and the extra weight!!

mouchyn
04-04-2005, 09:45 AM
you certainly can't overlook your suspension and brakes. brakes, especially. If you're adding all that weight to the car before passengers even get in, you really should upgrade the brake system a little. Nothing major.

something like OE sized slotted rotors, nicer pads, stainless brake lines, caliper rebuild, and some DOT4 fluid totally flushed and bled through. That shouldn't cost you very much at all.

As for the power in the engine bay, a good place to start is a quick rebuild of the engine. You can buy an engine gasket set at any parts store for about $150. That thing has EVERY seal, o-ring, and gasket on the engine except for the TB gasket. I don't know why they leave that one out, but neither of my kits came with it. That will give you some time to really clean everything up and put it together right. Re-ringing the engine is a relatively simple process if you can rent or borrow the honing tool. that will restore your stock engine to its full compression.

From there, you could do simple bolt ons like an nicer exhaust system (header, hiflow cat, 2.25 inch piping with a OE replacement muffler to keep things quiet). Some kind of cold air intake, cam upgrade, lighter flywheel is a really effective and cheap mod to do if you take the engine out. I machined my stock flywheel down to 15 lbs. It made a HUGE difference in throttle response and acceleration.

Even throwing a code 14 (EACV, IAC) and a poor mixture quality, my accord runs WAY better than either of my other 3Gs ever have.

NXRacer
04-04-2005, 12:18 PM
all wood dash and console?? Seems like a lot of unnecessary weight. Maybe you should think about teaching yourself fiberglass and do it all that way. :dunno:

good luck on your projects tho!

mouchyn
04-04-2005, 12:21 PM
all wood dash and console?? Seems like a lot of unnecessary weight. Maybe you should think about teaching yourself fiberglass and do it all that way. :dunno:

hehe, some people aren't all about going fast and reducing weight. Shoot, the only reason i lightened my flywheel down to 15 lbs was to help haul around the 150 lbs of stereo equipment i have in the trunk. Adding weight isn't such a bad thing if you don't plan on racing the car :wink:

when done properly, wood trim can look very nice. I'm kinda curious how it will look in the accord, though. Wood trim looks good on curves and compound curved surfaces. The accord has pretty straight and flat surfaces.

Sundaze
04-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Thank you for your help, everyone.
I have the LX (carburated, automatic) and don't want to do a swap, which I should have stated earlier.
I am doing the rebuild through a local shop. Honda's are huge here (Eugene, Oregon), and there's a shop in town that is rumoured to be insane at what they can do.
I'm mainly looking for what parts to replace when my engine is rebuilt. I figure Cam, flywheel, pistons, ect, and am mostly looking for information from people who have rebuilt their engines--part lists, in other words.
As I was asked... I hope to get at least 140 bhp, but 160 or more would be nice, not including the additions of a turbo or any other signifigant mod, such as nitro.
That may come later, however.

I do also plan on doing the brakes, suspension, and body (I need a new front axle), but right now my primary concern is the engine and the interior.

The build list will go like this:
Engine rebuild.
Axle and suspension upgrade
Brakes.
Wires and hoses.
Security System.
Stereo System.
Wheels and tires.
Body Kit.
Body Modification.
The interior will be done durring all of this--aside form a new shifter nob, pedals, new seats, and lighting, I'm building everyhting myself.

Why am I rebuilding the dash?

I'm rebuilding the dash because I came to the thought that the down-angled console could be improved by adding flip-up "lids" for storage, as the accord seems pretty void of storage space, and I continiously knock my R2-D2, loose change, and sunglasses off everytime I go around a corner with any balls.
I've long wanted to modify my glove-box with a slide-out shelf for my lap-top, then decided that an x-box would fit in there perfectly--I could put the screen where the gauges are, then locate the gauges on towers that replicate the "peakless triangle" of the console.
This is the best I can do: H= heater vents (mostly where they are, now), G=gauges, B=buttons S=shifter, E=e-brake.
This is rough, and an "elevation," but take a look, then sit in your accord.
_ _
/----------/ |screen| \------------------------------------------------\
////H B B /G |screen|G \ --was the "change lip"-now a flipuplid------------\
////H//////|G |screen|G |BBB Heater unit--------|x-box in G-box|minibox-- |
coin --- ---- Stereo unit------- |x-box in G-box |for-- |
___box___________________ashtray__________________ ______|passenger|
| new |
^wood, aluminum, | "glove" | <Speakers on both sides
brass, Rubber | box |
construction |________|
| |
| SS |
| SS |
| _ |
| || |
| || |
| E | Will have "flip up" cup holders
Flip up cup hode > | || | for when e-brake is not in use
| || | <
E

I don't think that the wood will add much weight if I do everything right especially if I can get the motor built up well. Not more the 150 lbs, in any event.

I will definatly send pics as things progress, and will try to submit "how-to" for those interested, as well as the final weight.
Now, is anyone kind enough to prepare a "shopping list?"
I've looked across a lot of your cars, here, and I'm still pretty lost as to what to ask for, part-wise (and would like a little prep before the sales guy says, "yea-yea! Buy this, and this and this...........and this...").
Also, I'm not too concerned about noise, but quiet is nice, as well.

Sundaze
04-05-2005, 12:43 AM
damn, it screwed up my "picture..."
sorry.

rjudgey
04-05-2005, 02:15 AM
Ajusa gasket kit (include TB gasket!!)
Felpro Gasket kit.
ACL bearings ( sold under Clevette brand also)
Diamond or JE forged pistons (money no object)
Honda A20A3/4 cast pistons (tighter budget)
Sealed power pistons (really tight budget)
piston pins from sealed power (lighter in weight)
Sealed power rings (better quality)
Hastings rings (cheaper)
Colt cam re-grind (better design)
Delta cam -regrind (cheap and basic design)
Toga high volume oil pump
New water pump
New rod bolts
HEad bolts can be re-used
New rockers if a new cam is being used
While it's all out might be worth getting the Transmission overhauled with new clutch pucks and stuff as it has to come out!!

Hope that helps.

Sundaze
04-05-2005, 04:46 AM
Thank you rjudgey, that will help greatly.
Anyone else have a list for comparison?

SteveDX89
04-05-2005, 05:27 AM
Only thing different I would do is use Honda bearings, rings, and gaskets.

BlueBead
04-05-2005, 07:19 PM
I'd go with the forged pistons now if you are thinking of going turbo later.
that'd save you the hassle and cost later of taking it all apart. This way its taken care of at the right point in time.
Other than that I think a SEi rear brake conversion would be a good idea; even stock is a big improvement over the stock drum brakes.
Other than that maybe talk to lilhonda17; he's done a b16 swap and lives in Eugene, OR.

mr eff
07-18-2005, 04:39 PM
what ever happened with this?

Sundaze
07-18-2005, 10:47 PM
The project is on hold while I find a replacement car to drive while I build the engine. I was going to do an engine swap, then rebuild my old engine, but have since decided that Accords are so cheap I might as well just buy a whole new car, and drive that while properly learning the third generation Accord.
I've also been swamped trying to meet my first dead-line (writier), so I won't be starting until September or October.
I'm going to do the interior and exterior work first, then go into the suspension, wheels, brakes, and do the engine last, for insurance reasons (nice engines aren't wroth anything in a settlement, no matter how much they cost).
I still plan to show pictures of the progress and wish I could get started, sooner. I'm the type that figures things out before starting, hoping that it'll yeild the best results.
Thank you for your interest, and look for things to appear before Christmas, with luck.

Chris

EvilPenciler
07-27-2005, 12:29 AM
I'm looking forward to this aswell

A20A1
07-27-2005, 01:30 AM

He's not throwing a log in the car.

-------

I have an automatic and carb