PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel vibration

nutmeg_runner
04-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Just switched the wheels from snow to all season and now there is a vibration/tremor in the steering wheel from 15-25 mph. I put the snow wheels back on (front only) and the tremor disappeared. So I think it must be the wheels are not balanced properly. I bring them to the shop to have them rebalanced and they tell me they were way off balance. I put them on and the shake is still there. I bring them back to the shop and they recheck and say the tires are fine. I am stumped. Could this be caused by the speed sensor or some other component of the power steering system (if so why no tremor with snow wheels on)? Maybe my records are crossed and I switched wheel sides (I have gotten my left and right backwards before). I did mark the wheels driver and passenger though. Any other ideas?

snow_man_20
04-05-2005, 04:19 AM
could be a bouble or somthing in the tire, if it's not doing it with the other tires then it's probibly the all-season tires.

are your all season about the same size as the snow tires or are thay wide low pros???

Blkblurr
04-05-2005, 05:06 AM
Most likely a bent rim or wheel or a tread problem in your tire. The 3rd gen Accord is very sensitive to wheel/ tire problems being felt in the wheel.

nutmeg_runner
04-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the response. The tires are Toyo Proxes, standard size, 195 60HR14. They were on the front position two years ago, rear last year, and stacked on their sides over the winter with a piece of cardboard between them. The problem is certainly tolerable but due to the car's age I am cautious about any changes. I think I will try swapping left to right for yahoos or back to front. Got to put my spouses road tires on her car first though. I think the tremor is less during turns if that makes any difference and when I first start driving in the morning it is much less noticeable.