PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Alternator Wheel, Help!

NightWolf0829
04-05-2005, 07:01 PM
:Owned2: New Poster Here!
Well, just bought a 87' Lx-i Hatchback. When it is turned over, the Alternator is stuck so the belt runs over it, making a huge unwanted mess. What would the easiet way to get to the alternator without alot of headaces? Is this common?
I'll get pics asap!

Cheers, Night

BlueBead
04-05-2005, 07:26 PM
your alternator is frozen... time for a replacement.
if you are carbed you might be able to fit it thru near the washer motor. Otherwise you have to pull the driverside axle and do it the hard way.
Run a search .... there are lots of posts on this topic and you'll find your questions are mostly answered there
Good luck!

YK86
04-05-2005, 09:30 PM
You have the LX-i so it'll be fairly easy. Just remove the airfilter box on the back of the manifold and you can pull out the alt from back there.

Underdog
04-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Yeah, you shouldn't need to remove the axle. When the auto shop class at my school did mine in my Se-i, they didn't have to pull the axle out.

89accord_lxi_coupe
04-06-2005, 04:03 AM
replaced my alternator in FLA and we didn't drop the axle. remove the air filter box completely to get at it better. you'll have to work from the drivers side. there's almost a rod of some sort that you have to loosen so you can the belt tensioner. please correct me if i'm wrong. then it's really a matter of getting all the little screws of and putting a new one in. it took a while when i did it, but i was going more by the seat of my pants. autozone has a good alternator for just under $100. with mine the wheel was difficult to spin even by hand. guess i caught it before a lock up.

NightWolf0829
04-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the replys guys, i will give it a shot

Cheers, Night