PDA

View Full Version : JB weld

cl88
04-06-2005, 11:20 AM
I have a 3.5 inch tear or crack in my 88 accord radiator, Can I use this stuff to fix it. I need a quick fix until I can get another radiator. If so, please tell me where I can get some of this stuff and what kind to use. ( I see several different kind) How much does this stuff cost?

Vinny
04-06-2005, 11:40 AM
you can get it at any auto parts store but then again you can get a radiator there too.

Id it works or not would depend on how wide it is. A lagre hole, not gonna happen. A smaller crack then possibly yes

shepherd79
04-06-2005, 12:42 PM
i have better idea. find a local junk yard and get one from there. I know around here you can get radiator for under $40 from junk yard, may be even cheaper now.

mouchyn
04-06-2005, 04:45 PM
a radiator shop can also solder/braze small cracks for pretty cheap.

AccordEpicenter
04-06-2005, 05:25 PM
a good radiator shop can also replace the end tanks and stuff. If i were you id just get a new koyo off eGay... theyre like $70. Old radiators are generally a waste of time when theyre almost 20 years old

BlueBead
04-06-2005, 09:41 PM
I had a crack and i sealed it with steely putty. Its a steel reinforced epoxy putty. Good for filling in large holes, but I'd do like the boys said and get a new one pretty soon.
It is a good quick fix. Brand name is U-Fix-it 'All Purpose Steel'y' and comes in a plastic sleeve on a cardboard backing. I recommend it for quick and dirty repairs.
Good luck!

cl88
04-07-2005, 05:52 AM
This is the top plastic part of my radiator. I need something to get it inspected. (they failed me previously) I have one more week to get it inspected or loose my money and have to do a reinspect.

superguillermo
04-08-2005, 12:09 AM
JB Weld: J-B Quick 5 min set....any auto or hardware store...$4.99...just make sure you use a small metal plate to cover the hole. Then JB weld it into place...let sit for a few hours....its a quick temp fix that does work.

cl88
04-13-2005, 07:31 AM
This stuff didn't work. Guess I need to invest in a new radiator

mouchyn
04-13-2005, 08:53 AM
maybe not a new one, but a different one.

Vinny
04-13-2005, 04:26 PM
here ya go
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7968320495&category=33602

smufguy
04-13-2005, 05:32 PM
a good radiator shop can also replace the end tanks and stuff. If i were you id just get a new koyo off eGay... theyre like $70. Old radiators are generally a waste of time when theyre almost 20 years old

I second Jason on this. Not worth the junkyard radiators. They are only 25 bux to get, but god knows how long they been sitting or who did what to it. Rust kills these radiators much faster than we expect. I paid $120 for a brand new aluminum core radiator from autozone took me about 30 mts to put it in. I suggest u do that. JB weld is not gonna hold. if you just wanna patch it up, i will still not work since im guessing its on the bottom. Ur better off getting a new one and in that way, u wont be circulating old rust and dirt inside your engine.

cl88
04-15-2005, 05:36 AM
WILL THE EBAY RADIATOR FIT AN 88 accord? I NOTICED IT IS FOR A 89....

I can't get my radiator out. I unscrewed something and a released some pressure that was by the front of the radiator (is standing facing the car it is on the rt side.) please don't tell me I released my freon. How do you get this *&*(*)^ thing out? HELP It is hung up on the bottom some how. I have unscrewed the fans on top are thier screws under the bottom also. I can lift the radiaor a bout a 1/3 but it will not budge.

snow_man_20
04-15-2005, 05:45 AM
yes it should fit, and i hope you didn't let all the freon out. That would not be good.

cl88
04-15-2005, 05:56 AM
so it WAS freon. how do i replace it. I let it ALL out.

Vinny
04-15-2005, 05:58 AM
Maybe you should get someone locally to help you or buy a manual before you go any further into this . Just a thought

smufguy
04-15-2005, 06:25 AM
WILL THE EBAY RADIATOR FIT AN 88 accord? I NOTICED IT IS FOR A 89....

I can't get my radiator out. I unscrewed something and a released some pressure that was by the front of the radiator (is standing facing the car it is on the rt side.) please don't tell me I released my freon. How do you get this *&*(*)^ thing out? HELP It is hung up on the bottom some how. I have unscrewed the fans on top are thier screws under the bottom also. I can lift the radiaor a bout a 1/3 but it will not budge.

ummm............... there is nothing on the front of the radiator that u can unbold, i guess u just released the freeon like u said.

There are like four 10mm bolts on the top brace (the plate bwt the two headlights) remove them, disconnect the top and bottom radiator hose. Unclip the fan wires and thermo sensor on the bottom. If your car is an automatic, remove the tranny cooler hoses on the bottom and them pull the radiator out.

But like Vinny said. leave it for the professionals. Aparently you have very little knowledge of even identifying the what is what and its not good to just blindly start pulling shit out.

AccordEpicenter
04-15-2005, 07:43 AM
yeah the radiators on these cars are very easy to change, if youre releasing freon or somthing you need to let somebody else do it or at least find out the right way to do the job.

SHURIK
04-15-2005, 07:46 AM
if the rad is copper i can solder it
rub some flux on the hole and get a propane torch and heat it and touch the solder to it and it will seal the hole i did it if the hole is big u can solder on a copper patch and it will be as good as new

superguillermo
04-15-2005, 06:20 PM
so it WAS freon. how do i replace it. I let it ALL out.

Get an accord manual too. It might seem like a waste...but knowledge is power.

Vinny
04-15-2005, 06:29 PM
rub some flux on the hole and get a propane torch and heat it and touch the solder to it and it will seal the hole i did it if the hole is big u can solder on a copper patch and it will be as good as new

If he's having problems figuring out how to remove the radiator patching it may be out of his technical abilities

smufguy
04-16-2005, 09:48 PM

if the radiator is copper, it corrodes, does not shoot jsut a hole that u can patch it. its like trying to weld rust. Wont and cant happen man. :)

cl88
04-18-2005, 09:40 AM
Well I got it off and put the other on. I am a trial and error type guy. I f you read my other post. I will never let anyone touch this car. I went to get a clutch put on and a chain of misfortunes happen to this car. Well it all behind me. Now if I can get my MPG back to low 30's I will be ok.

snow_man_20
04-19-2005, 03:43 AM
Well I got it off and put the other on. I am a trial and error type guy. I f you read my other post. I will never let anyone touch this car. I went to get a clutch put on and a chain of misfortunes happen to this car. Well it all behind me. Now if I can get my MPG back to low 30's I will be ok.

trial and error can cost you. good luck. hope your a quick learner.