PDA

View Full Version : Replacing O2 sensor, any tips?

HondaBoy
04-07-2005, 10:00 AM
i went and bought the O2 sensor yesterday, it was about $40 or so. i really dont know what it does on a carbed engine, but i might as well replace it. anyway, as you might know this bitch is stuck on real good. i sprayed it down with the liquid wrench stuff. i figured taking out the dip stick leaves enough room to get a ratchet in there. i also have the socket for taking it out. anyway, its stuck on real nice and doesnt want to budge. when i was trying to take it off yesterday, i had let the car cool down, so the maifold was cold. maybe i should let it run for a minute to let it expand? i dunno, i have gloves and long sleve thermal shirt so i dont burn myself. any tips on how to get it out? also, what does the O2 sensor do for the carbed engines? does it adjust the air jet thingy?

88Accord-DX
04-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Any O2 sensor meters the rich/lean mixture of the exhuast fumes. (to put it simple) It would be a good idea to run your car awhile to get the exhaust manifold hot. Would make it easier, if any at all, to re-move the O2 sensor. If you can't get it loose, possibility you might need a portable torch to heat it up. Doubt just rust penatrent will break it loose, but anything is possible. Good thing you have the right socket for it. :)

HondaBoy
04-07-2005, 03:04 PM
guess i'll give it a try with the manifold warmed up. if it doesnt come off, i'm gonna be pissed. lol. maybe this would be a good time to just get a header?

1987HondaAccord
04-07-2005, 05:05 PM
if the socket is nice and sturdy, you might be able to get a pipe on the handle part of it. that helped me a lot. i put something like a 18" pipe on the back of the wrench and sensor broke free. good luck

superguillermo
04-08-2005, 12:05 AM
take your time and use the right tools! I managed to strip the head of the old O2 sensor without it budging...had to take off manifold...big mess.

HondaBoy
04-08-2005, 09:25 AM
i've sort of decided to leave it alone for now. it just wont budge. i had already planned on getting a header in june. so i'll just have the new sensor for it. or if i can find an LX-i manifold to replace this one for now. doesnt that add a little top end? anyway, i'd rather have the header. i may get that sooner than june. i thought of cutting the sensor wire and using a solid deep socket on it. that might work, but i think i'll wait till the header. i knew that the sensor works with the computer for the FI engines to adjust fuel mix, but what is it doing for the carb? i unplugged it and it started the same, but i didnt drive around with it like that after it warmed up. maybe then i'd notice.