PDA

View Full Version : Hey Jim, Need some More Help, Wheel Paint....

MyGarbageLXi
08-06-2002, 07:47 AM
hello everyone, i was just wondering if its possible to some how Paint my alreadyy exhisting 15'' Rims, white? , the thing is that the the aloy is Not flat, its textured, I need to know if theres any special kind of pain for MEtal or Wheel Painting?, any suggestions? howto's? anyone done this B4?

Jims 86LXI HB
08-06-2002, 01:09 PM
Check your pm's I replied their for you.

HostileJava
08-09-2002, 11:42 AM
Could you post what you replied. I'd be interested in knowing how to paint mine white also.

Jims 86LXI HB
08-09-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by HostileJava
Could you post what you replied. I'd be interested in knowing how to paint mine white also.

Well it wasn't as much a "how to" as it was are "are you really sure you want to to this?" I have had the experience of completely restoring a set of alloy rims. I learned a few things along the way. 1. All the clear coats that come out of a can cannot stand up to continued sunlight exposure with out slowly turning yellow. I needed to have a autobody shop shoot some automotive clear on them, not cheap so I never bothered. 2. Ask yourself if the color you want is avaible in a gloss. Buy a can of it and test it's ability to cover. Many paints that are gloss are difficult to apply evenly because they have less pigments to make room for the gloss, so they will appear to coat thinly and waterey(ms). 3. Only take on the project if you have rims that are a open design with no tight spaces that would be difficult for the spray out of a can to reach. I'd approach the idea with great caution. You need to think about what you will do if you start and then realize that it's not going to work, are you willing to get new rims?
In the end, I had to. Not because of the restoration, but because I found out when I drove with the rims on the car that they had been in a wreck and repaired. All my work was for nothing,:banghead: Lesson learned, I'll never buy rims off ebay again:mad: Somewhere I have pics of them on the car.:rolleyes:

dXsquared
08-09-2002, 10:33 PM
hmm... sounds like a job for RIM PAINT. i saw some at Canadian Tire the other day. it is in white, graphite, adn black. it suposedly dont need clear and it is very tough. ill check on brands latah
Travis

Jims 86LXI HB
08-09-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
hmm... sounds like a job for RIM PAINT. i saw some at Canadian Tire the other day. it is in white, graphite, adn black. it suposedly dont need clear and it is very tough. ill check on brands latah
Travis

Thats just what I was using. Especially formulated for applying to aluminum alloy wheels, but it wasn't made in a gloss. And remember if it's a gloss it does not apply the same as a flat, test on something other than your rims before you try it on a rim.

DBMaster
08-10-2002, 07:58 AM
I know what you mean about the clear coat, Jim. I have a problem on one of my wheels where I dinged a curb in an ice storm. It was just a little nick in the factory clear coat, but what ended up happening is that a section of clear coat came off in chips from the edge part of the rim. I prepped it an put some clear coat spray over it hopefully to keep it from tarnishing, but now that section has yellowed a bit. I could just buy a new rim as I only paid $65 each for these. It might be better than taking the time to remove the current paint and redo.