PDA

View Full Version : question on 85 accord and trannys

Coy
04-08-2005, 01:05 PM
i want to do a five speed swap on my 85accord, ive got an EW2 1.8l carb'd engine, with an auto tranny i know what i need but im trygin to figure out what to get it from. ive hear rumors that the 3g manual tranny will fit my block, but i dont know if its true or not. if so which clutch and flywheel do i use and is there anything else i need to know about it? a local speed shop owner told me i would have to check the mounts for the block and the tranny mount because honda likes to make mount placement different between the auto and manual trannys.

this is important my car is down due to tranny failure and if im going to change the tranny im not going to put another auto in it.

PhydeauX
04-08-2005, 03:56 PM
The 3g tranny will fit your block, but it will not fit your axles, and 3g axles will not fit your hubs. The best thing to do would be to find a manual 2.5g (2.5 being the latter 84 and 85 accords, the earlier ones use a completey diferent engine/trans). The 1.8l 2g prelude trannys will work too, but I don't know if you can use any of the other 5speed parts. A 2.5g accord is going to be your best bet. The swap will work pretty much the same as a 3g, so you can follow the faq. The wireing is a little diferent, the 2g does not have a clutch safety switch.

andy

Coy
04-08-2005, 04:20 PM
awesome. i know the earlier 2gs have the 8 valve engine.

only thing is ive already been searching for the maual tranny, but i was lookin for the tranny from a EW3 (fuel injected) and havnet found anything that i can afford with shipping. i was lookin for the tranny from a FI because id gather a guess that if the trannys have a better gear ratio on the EFI 3gs as apposed to the carby ratios. i had forgotten that the lude uses the practically the same engine, but with a different engine code. i had planned on using the shift linkage and the clutch peddle assembly from the 2g accord just wasnt sure about the pressure plate and clutch (i checked part numbers now and they all fit the same)

Coy
04-08-2005, 07:05 PM
on a side note which has better gearing, the lude tranny or the accord?

PhydeauX
04-09-2005, 06:56 AM
As long as the clutch/flywheel comes from a 1.8L engine, whether its from a 2g lude or accord, its fine. The prelude has better gearing, the 85 being the most desireable. In 86 the Si lude came out and they put a smaller final drive in the DX to make the Si seem even sportier.

andy

Coy
04-09-2005, 11:38 AM
so an 85 lude DX would be a good choice and will fit? from what i can gather the 85 Si lude had a 2.0, is that true?

PhydeauX
04-09-2005, 01:04 PM
If my information is correct there was no Si in 85, atleast no in the US. The DX will just be marked as a prelude, they only show them as DX in the parts catalogs. Just look under the hood, if its got 2 sidedraft carbs then its the one you want. The engine code should be ET1. I forget what the trans code is, the sticker fell off of mine.

andy

Coy
04-09-2005, 02:19 PM
awesome, thanks a million.