PDA

View Full Version : Custom tails

Priest
04-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Tomorrow I plan to pick up a set of tails from the junk yard and mod them to make a custom set. I'm going to clear them out first following the how to on that. Then I'll either smoke the covers or paint them all black. Then I want to cut holes in them to place round lights in the original casing to create the custom look.

The question I have is, have any of you tried cutting the housing for the tails? Is there a certain tool that would best for this project? Or am I just wasting time and money?

Thanks for the help,
- Brandon

A20A1
04-08-2005, 07:56 PM
yes,

are you following the how-to I made?
When you paint paint the inside not the outside of the lense.

Look at the last few pics where the lights are installed on the car... those are my round lights cut into the housing.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=42555

I wanted to use LED truck / trailer lights to replace the single bulb style.

Here are some shots... Mariobruke on top and my pics are on the bottom. :D
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4216

Priest
04-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the help. I was gonna PM you about this, but I figured you would run accross it eventually.

I'll post some pics tomorrow if I finish it by then.

Thanks again.

A20A1
04-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Just to let you know I updated the how-to... The USDM light cannot be moded the same as the JDM ones... See the last post in the how-to for pics of the USDM light taken apart. You might be able to smoke the inside of the USDM lights but to change the color you might not be able to get away with it, so that will force you to paint the outside of the lense or cut the lense out.

Priest
04-08-2005, 11:36 PM
What tools would you suggest to cut the lens? I don't have a clue what would be good.

BlueBead
04-09-2005, 02:50 AM
Dremel tool is always good for plastics like this

Priest
04-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Alright, just got back from the junk yard and found half a set of tails and a full set of side markers. One of my markers was cracked. I figured I could do something with those too. I was thinking going all black with those to match the tails... not sure though. I'd like for the lighting to still work on them too. I don't have enough money to pick up the dremel today. Probably not for a while actually. After next week to be exact. So the project will be postponed till then.

Thanks again for the help guys.

- Brandon

sporkHSP
04-12-2005, 11:25 AM
this sounds interesteing... good luck.
I have a favor to ask any of you who have ready access to a taillight, Could I get one of you to post the dimensions for the outside taillight peice? I am looking for the measurements of the part that mounts to the body.
If possible:
height
Width(from center to the edge of the car)
and the lengths of the top and bottom of the part that wraps around the side of the car.
Thank you to whoever can help me out, my car is 300 miles away sitting on my driveway.