PDA

View Full Version : blow by threw the crank case breather!!!

adams86lxi
04-08-2005, 05:49 PM
I already asked this in my project budget b20a thread but im posting it here for more people to see because i need to know what is causing this!!!

I finished the car today and drove it around!!!! BTW: it pulls beyond hard and spools so fucking loud its insane!!!!! But for some reason wants to push 7psi instead of 5??? does anyone know why???

Now i got a serious question! I was driving it and I think the vaccum line from the waste gate poped off and it jumped to 13 or so psi and blew the dip stick out along with alot of oil??? Now im guessing that just from it boosting too much but i dont know???? Now its blowing alot of air/oil or something from the crank case breather!!!!!! Did i screw something up bad or what is this from????? Everytime i get on the gas hard it blows the oil dipstick out!!!! What is causing this!!!!!!

'89AccordLX(Rus)
04-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Something is clogged. Look at the PCV valve, make sure it isn't clogged. My guess would be that it has something to do with your PCV valve and the oil condensation vessel in the back of the engine. That would cause pressure to build up in the crankcase and valve cover. That pressure should be relieved by the PCV system which sucks in fresh air through the valve cover vent, then through the oil passages to the crank case, and from there through the condensation vessel to the PCV valve which then injects the gas into the intake manifold. If the end point of this system is clogged, the gas had no where to go and the rapid movement of the pistons further contributes to increasing pressure. Hope this helps.

mouchyn
04-08-2005, 06:44 PM
yeah, check out your PCV system ASAP. I would also do a compression test on that motor. That's a lot of crankcase pressure...

adams86lxi
04-08-2005, 06:49 PM
alright ill try the pcv valve but im just scared its something more serious since the pressure jumped so high!!! Its not boosting at all now! It feels slower then before the turbo was on!

Vanilla Sky
04-08-2005, 06:49 PM
i agree... compression check and take care of the PCV system... sounds like you may need new rings or new valve guides...

AccordEpicenter
04-08-2005, 07:14 PM
whoa adam, Make sure your crankcase isnt pressurizing from the pcv valve etc, id plug it off at the manifold and run a breather filter off of it. Do you have it smoking like crazy out of the valve cover too? Its very important that you dont pressurize the crankcase under boost, or your detonate. Edit, are you using the FMU and retarded timing for 7psi?

adams86lxi
04-08-2005, 07:18 PM
whoa adam, Make sure your crankcase isnt pressurizing from the pcv valve etc, id plug it off at the manifold and run a breather filter off of it. Do you have it smoking like crazy out of the valve cover too? Its very important that you dont pressurize the crankcase under boost, or your detonate.

Yea it does smoke out the valve cover alittle. Im about to go do a compression test on it right now so i will give you guys the results!

AccordEpicenter
04-08-2005, 07:24 PM
a little is normal, ive hit 12psi a few times in the accord, but 13psi with no timing control and on an fmu and you detonated for sure, i hope id didnt crack the ring lands

Oldblueaccord
04-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Yea it does smoke out the valve cover alittle. Im about to go do a compression test on it right now so i will give you guys the results!

I guess Im the jerk here but

"Thar she blows"

Welcome to the world of boost. Be nice if the head gasket would just blow out like the old Chrylser 2.2 used to do when some nut plugged the blow off with a wood screw :rolleyes: and it wasnt even my car.

Maybe the PVC valve cover is messed up take it off and look.

wp

adams86lxi
04-08-2005, 08:51 PM
its done for! Im dead posititive the rings are gone. I checked the compression and it was the following.

1-150 2-110 3-110 4-70

This sucks so bad. I dont know what im doing with the car. I think im done with it. I wont be able to buy parts for it anyway. Im basically screwed.

Oldblueaccord
04-08-2005, 08:56 PM
its done for! Im dead posititive the rings are gone. I checked the compression and it was the following.

1-150 2-110 3-110 4-70

This sucks so bad. I dont know what im doing with the car. I think im done with it. I wont be able to buy parts for it anyway. Im basically screwed.

Damn that sucks.

Well maybe it just broke a valve take it apart and see.

wp

Vanilla Sky
04-08-2005, 09:00 PM
yeah... this is bound to happen on any turbo setup... remember failures on higher output motors are generally more catastrophic... tear down the motor and see what went wrong... that's all you can do

AccordEpicenter
04-08-2005, 09:05 PM
nope, thats gonna be serious ringland ownage. Im sorry to hear that adam. If you get new pistons and rings and a ball hone you might be able to change everything without pulling the motor.

mouchyn
04-08-2005, 09:19 PM
or you could sell me the turbo manifold :)

AccordEpicenter
04-08-2005, 09:24 PM
uhh... hes b20A son

mouchyn
04-08-2005, 10:11 PM
uhhh, i've got two 3g Preludes that have b20a's in them, smartass. I can show you pictures if you want. the exhaust flange on the 3G accord b20a is the same as all the 3G prelude engine exhaust flanges. Those manifolds are just as hard to come by as accord manifolds. it shouldn't matter to you why i want to buy it anyway. Maybe i wanted to buy it to turn around and make a killin on ebay. maybe i wanted to throw it off a cliff. It's not really any of your business. step off.

btw, don't call me son. only one man on this planet has that right and you sure as hell aren't him. call me any other immature nick name that makes you feel more manly, but don't call me son.

Robs89LXi
04-08-2005, 10:51 PM
uhhh.. okay, back to the topic. Adam, don't panic so quick. Check the little things first. Check your plugs to make sure they are secure. Look around your head to see if you can detect any blowby from a blown head gasket. Check your dipstick too as an indicator (if there is water in the oil - milky looking). How do your valves sound? It is possible that you have valve damage. Low compression can be caused by several things, so take your time and systematically check.
On a side note: I don't know you personally, or know how much mechanical knowledge you have, so I might be dead wrong here, but it sounds like you kind of jumped into this too fast. It sounds to me like you need to spend a bit more time researching before you go any further. Still, I am glad to see someone who is not afraid to take the leap and try as opposed to just talking about it like so many here.
I hope you find out what is wrong, and that it is not too bad. Just remember, any engine can be rebuilt. Good luck, and let us know what you find.

88accordalltheway
04-08-2005, 11:19 PM
uhhh, i've got two 3g Preludes that have b20a's in them, smartass. I can show you pictures if you want. the exhaust flange on the 3G accord b20a is the same as all the 3G prelude engine exhaust flanges. Those manifolds are just as hard to come by as accord manifolds. it shouldn't matter to you why i want to buy it anyway. Maybe i wanted to buy it to turn around and make a killin on ebay. maybe i wanted to throw it off a cliff. It's not really any of your business. step off.

btw, don't call me son. only one man on this planet has that right and you sure as hell aren't him. call me any other immature nick name that makes you feel more manly, but don't call me son.
uhhh, adams b20a is fucking JDM :welcome: , SON. I highly doubt your three ludes all have that motor, KID. Bend over little boy, you just got fhcking :Owned2:

silly nub, trix are for rabbits. :bowrofl:

carotman
04-09-2005, 05:04 AM
uhhh, adams b20a is fucking JDM :welcome: , SON. I highly doubt your three ludes all have that motor, KID. Bend over little boy, you just got fhcking :Owned2:

silly nub, trix are for rabbits. :bowrofl:

hooooooo Jay Dee Em Engine.

If you did your homework, you would know that every EFI 3G lude had a B20A or B21A that has the same exhaust flange that the 1st gen B20A used..... Before making smartass comments, you should doublecheck the info, this way you won't look stupid.

Adam, if you got blow by, the rings bight be shot. Getting rings for the B20A is REALLY easy since they are the same as the USDM B20A5 88-91 2.0SI lude.

The only thing that might be a little harder to come by is the headgasket but it's not too much of a problem. Boosting to 13 PSI might not have been the best thing.

How did you do the compression test? Did you keep the throttle plate open? Did you crank it for at least 3 turns? If it feels slower than before it's good sign that somethins is wrong... I wouldn't ditch the car for this since it's fairly easy to repair.

88accordalltheway
04-09-2005, 08:01 AM

If you did your homework, you would know that every EFI 3G lude had a B20A or B21A that has the same exhaust flange that the 1st gen B20A used..... Before making smartass comments, you should doublecheck the info, this way you won't look stupid.

I know that, but this guy swares he has gold. Every time i go to my local yard they have at least one lude 2.0si with the b20 there.

mouchyn
04-09-2005, 08:54 AM
I know that, but this guy swares he has gold. Every time i go to my local yard they have at least one lude 2.0si with the b20 there.

who said anything about gold? i never said anything about the engine being hard to find. i just said it was hard to come by the turbo manifold which is why i wanted it. there aren't any 3rd party companies that make aftermarket turbo manifolds for the prelude. Shit, even DC sports discontinued their line of headers for the 3G prelude. like i said before, i can show you pictures. they are all JDM.

i don't know what your problem is. you look like a jackass and you need to chill out. take a big gulp and swallow some of that pride. and like i said, don't call me son. doing so even after i asked you not to is just straight up disrespectful and immature. Last I checked, we're not here to bust each other's balls. We're here to help each other and share knowledge. so, chill out.

Cheeseburger
04-09-2005, 09:04 AM
dam adam sorry about the car. dont give up man

mouchyn
04-09-2005, 09:11 AM
The only thing that might be a little harder to come by is the headgasket but it's not too much of a problem. Boosting to 13 PSI might not have been the best thing.

i haven't ever cracked open the accord b20a. I've only installed them. how different is the accord b20a headgasket from the prelude headgasket? I thought the oil and coolant passages would be the same since the engine cast is so similar. Even the reinforcement grid lines on the outside of the block are the same...

adams86lxi
04-09-2005, 10:47 AM

Adam, if you got blow by, the rings bight be shot. Getting rings for the B20A is REALLY easy since they are the same as the USDM B20A5 88-91 2.0SI lude.

How did you do the compression test? Did you keep the throttle plate open? Did you crank it for at least 3 turns? If it feels slower than before it's good sign that somethins is wrong... I wouldn't ditch the car for this since it's fairly easy to repair.

alright ive done some thinking and im not really ready to let this car go just yet. So i could get rings from the dealership for the b20a5. Im guessing i would also need all new bearings too for the rods also since i will be pulling them out. Could i use the b20a5 ones for that too? Also how would i get a b20a head gasket???? And if i want to do this with out pulling the motor i would just drop the pan take off the head and i should be able to do all this with out to much hassle right???? Please let me know!

BTW: With the compression test i kept the throttle wide open during it, and i cranked it over atleast 5 times or so and it wouldnt go anyhigher.

carotman
04-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Well, seems something is dead...

You can use B20A5 parts for everything inside this engine. The head has a different combustion chamber design and so do the ports. It doesn't matter tough. The oil filter base seal might be different too so I just would leave it there... The rods, pistons, bearings, crank seals can be taken from the B20A5

The only thing that you can't get in the US are the timing belt (can be solved) oil pump (it's not broken yet) oil pan gasket (you can use the silicone gasket stuff) and headgasket.

The headgasket will have to be ordered from overseas... I'm sure that one of our members from Europe will be willing to help you on this.

maka_RTH
04-09-2005, 02:00 PM
hey adam, sorry to hear about this. man, i should keep up more on here, i've not really been reading any posts on here lately. i didn't even know you were going turbo! lol. also, it might cost a lil more, but you could upgrade to forged pistons/rods if you gotta do them anyways. but yah, don't throw it out cuz you don't wanna do the work, give it to me :D