PDA

View Full Version : New cylinder head

ssophab
08-06-2002, 09:34 AM
I am putting my car back together this weekend. I blew my cylinder head about two months ago and finally all the parts are in. While I have the engine apart, what can I do to make it run better, faster, stronger?

thanks!

1988starter
08-06-2002, 09:48 AM
Port and polish higher comp pistons mill the head a little.

YK86
08-06-2002, 07:13 PM
Clean out the intake manifold (probably lots of carbon build up), P&P, and get your injectors cleaned. Pistons will require bottom end disassembly which might not be a good idea if you don't have much money. Milling the head is okay too but if you mill too much, the cam retards itself since it sits lower (fixable with an adjustable cam gear).

rbeaud
08-07-2002, 09:23 AM
How much is a little? I've seen recommendations for .015 off the block and .025 off the head for civic engines and wondered if it would apply to the accord engines as well.

Cheers,

Roland

Site
10-11-2002, 07:00 AM
ssophab, I'm interested in the follow up on this. Did you get the head ported and polished? If so, what kind of differences has this made? Please describe it fully, if you don't mind.

As far as milling the head goes, has anyone done this? I know funstick has said not to mill the head. I'm new to the ideas of "cam retard" and adjustable cam gears fixing the problem. If anyone knows about this stuff, please share!

1989se-i
10-11-2002, 07:49 AM
Would "double gasketing" help any?

Volitech
10-27-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Site
ssophab

As far as milling the head goes, has anyone done this? I know funstick has said not to mill the head. If anyone knows about this stuff, please share!

That's what I'm wondering about! I have a new head on the way and i'm considering milling it! But how much should I mill off? .02 or .03?

4sillypwr
11-03-2003, 02:25 AM
Double gasketing is a bad idea. It won't seal properly and you will lower compression giving worse performance.