PDA

View Full Version : I'm Installing A Killswitch

MIK3
04-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Well..my sisters 1995 Saturn LS2 got stolen lastnight. Had a rude awakening this morning saying her car was stolen right from our driveway. Our 2004 Honda Pilot was right next to it, which really scared me. Since I've owned my car, it's been garage kept for this purpose. I'm very pissed off right now knowing some jackass has my sisters car. The police just left from the police report. My dad is an electrician so he and I are going to install a killswitch. Does anyone have any pointers or helpful hints to secure my beloved car? I want to keep this car untill I die, that, or it getting stolen will be the death of me :sad2:

mouchyn
04-09-2005, 10:03 AM
well, unfortunately, the best way to keep your car safe is to lock the hood somehow. if there is a kill switch in the car somewhere, it's super easy to just break the ignition, short it to the "on" position, and either push start the car (if it's a manual) or use an external starter button. I use them all the time when i'm going compression tests.

connect one side to the pos batt terminal and the other side to the start signal spade on the starter. Hit the button and the starter turns. Power is also easy to jump there, too.

If they want the car, they're going to get it. Quite honestly, some of the better theft deterrents are things like "the club" and a good old fashioned alarm. when you park the car, turn the steering wheel all the way to one side and put the club in. It's hard to steal a car when it will only make left turns!

Also, install alarm sirens INSIDE the car. We all know that people don't pay attention to car alarms anymore. Wire up 3 or 4 normal alarm sirens inside the car and it's impossible to be in there. That amount of sound will make your ears bleed instantly.

If you really want to use a kill switch, make sure it's a kill switch for the fuel pump -- not the starter. it's harder to undo a fuel cut-off than a starter-kill.

BlueBead
04-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Also, install alarm sirens INSIDE the car. We all know that people don't pay attention to car alarms anymore. Wire up 3 or 4 normal alarm sirens inside the car and it's impossible to be in there. That amount of sound will make your ears bleed instantly.

If you really want to use a kill switch, make sure it's a kill switch for the fuel pump -- not the starter. it's harder to undo a fuel cut-off than a starter-kill.
Good call! combine these with a locking hood and a visible theft deterent like you were saying with the club and you're set. I really like the sirens inside tho; That would send them running like biatches for sure. :rocket:

Vanilla Sky
04-09-2005, 12:20 PM
i can agree with everything there except the club... if a car has tilt steering, chances are you can still drive with the club...

what is a better option are the "clutch locks" that work like the club but lock up wither the clutch or the brake pedal...

also, if you're really determined to keep the car, make it hard to steal, not impossible... sirens inside the car are a good one, same with the fuel cut... also on these cars, there is a FATAL flaw in the keying... i've opened 3 other 3geez with my car key... i have 2 keys and i've opened every 3gee i've tried... rekey the car... any competent locksmish should do this for about $250 or so... cheap for the piece of mind...

keruhas184
04-09-2005, 12:46 PM
I can attest to the keying flaw. When I took 3ghandles to the PA meet, he was able to open my car with his 3g key (his motor blew), by which I was quite surprised. But apparently this was more than just a simple coincidence.

TJ89Accord
04-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Yah, get an alarm. If I was going to steal a car, I would not want to attract attention of a car alarm going off. You can wire it too your horn in addition to the sirens. If you wanted, you could also have it blink the headlights when it goes off too. A 2 way alarm is good, because it will page you if it goes off. I reccommend Compustar (Thats what I got).

PS, Civic keys have the same problem. I parked next to a Civic at Walmart one day, and had my friend try to unlock the door with my key. It unlocked no problem. Then he relocked it and we took off lol.

tim

MIK3
04-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Yeah. I currently have an alarm on there if any windows are broken. But I really like the sirens inside the vehicle idea. Heh. But I just think I'd feel so much more safer with a killswitch of some kind in my vehicle. After this, I really REALLY don't want my car to ever be stolen. Hell, I don't even want it to be looked at in the wrong manner. Damn the man that looks at my car in the wrong manner.

MrBen
04-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Hell I'd take a live wire hooked up to your house current and run it out to the car every night so if anyone touches it, ZZTTTT! Bam! Taken care of.

:tongue:

TheWatcher
04-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Here's your answer, http://www.milkandcookies.com/links/13212

I would seriously rethink the alarms IN the car. Do you really want the ear-bleeding alarm going off, through some electrical malfunction, while you are cruising the local autobahn at 80+ mph?

Get a good alarm and a glock. Check when you hear the alarm, if you catch 'em stealing your ride ... the glock is convincing. Then call the cops on your cell. Or you can NOT use the glock, go out and investigate and get plugged, your choice.

Keep everything looking stock, don't blast your stereo close to your house, don't put on a million rice stickers. If you have component speakers, thieve know you have amps, cross-overs, subs, etc.

In the 808, they just hacksaw the steering wheel, so the club is useless. Like mouchyn said, if they want your car, there gonna get it. So keep it a sleeper, and make it difficult to steal. Maybe the chronics will move to some other car/suv/truck that looks like a more attractive and easier mark.

Peace.

MIK3
04-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Haha, man. I know I will never have my car advertising "steal me". I definitely keep it stock (just read my signature). But that is some words of wisdom indeed. I have a feeling clubs are used more just as a scare off tactic then anything. Two identicle cars, one with a club and one with out, the lazy bastard is going to go for the one with out obviously. But yeah, my car shows no signs of "steal me", other than possibly my Infinity 6 1/2's in the rear...but hopefully that isn't enough. Oh, and my vehicle is garaged every night. I'm speaking solely for school or whenever my car is in a parking lot. All have been helpful, thank you.

bobafett
04-11-2005, 07:49 PM
put the stock accord speaker covers back in instead of the infinity covers! ;-)

mouchyn
04-13-2005, 08:52 AM
i also saw a 5th gen show prelude that had smoke bombs inside the car. the smoke was not smelly and didn't leave any residue. It was like thick white party smoke. When the alarm went off, the smoke bombs would detonate 10 seconds later pretty much instantly filling the car with thick smoke. this makes it very hard to do anything inside the car. That combined with an alarm and a hood lock would be enough to make a thief walk away.

Although, around here, cars have been getting stolen with tow trucks and flat beds. Roll up, pull the car on to a flat bed, drive off. then you could take it somewhere and have as much time as you needed to get what you want.

MrBen
04-13-2005, 07:00 PM
put the stock accord speaker covers back in instead of the infinity covers! ;-)

And for extra security put on "Billy and Jesse's Favorite GRANDPA" license plate frame :D

mouchyn
04-13-2005, 08:32 PM
i used to have some window stickers that said "protected by smith & wesson."

that was effective on my parents' house, but not my car. there was a streak of residential robberies in my area and my parents' house wasn't touched. good thing, too. nobody in my family has a problem poppin a few into the chest of a thief. someone is always awake at my parents' house. gotta love texas! if you have a "no trespassing" sign posted, you can legally shoot and kill trespassers.

Acid X
04-22-2005, 02:39 AM
You could go with the detachable steering wheel thing instead of a killswitch.. Can't drive without a steering wheel.

KwS
07-03-2005, 09:35 PM
You could go with the detachable steering wheel thing instead of a killswitch.. Can't drive without a steering wheel.

You can actually. Apparently a pair of vice grips can go a long way...

3gn86lxi
07-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Thats what I did, Momo with a quick release. You can't drive it if it doesn't have a steering wheel.
A thief will walk right past your car, not even look twice.
Same as Busted Blue.
Eh....what thief is carrying vicegrips anyway.

Rendon LX-i
07-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Get a alarm with a pager. So if they do try it u know and u can go chase them fools

86AccordLxi
07-04-2005, 12:18 AM
What about a kill switch on the fuel pump? Granted thieves could still flat-bed it, but they won't get very far just driving it away.

Alex

lostforawhile
07-04-2005, 01:39 AM
common sense goes a long way. there are stories all the time around here where people get thier cars stolen because they leave the keys in the ignition with the motor running! :violin: or they leave a thousand dollar laptop on the seat :bong: or my favorite: officer i left my car unlocked with my purse on the front seat and the windows rolled down and som'in stole my purse!!! :stick: wake up!! if you are that stupid you should have something stolen. oh yea i almost forgot, the giant speaker box in the back window and the amp on the back seat. :uh: we had five cars stolen in one day here and every one had the keys in the ignition and the windows rolled down!!! at least lie about it, no my car was locked officer. the problem with america today is the stupid people why not take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Busted_Blue
07-04-2005, 02:12 AM
Thats what I did, Momo with a quick release. You can't drive it if it doesn't have a steering wheel.
A thief will walk right past your car, not even look twice.
Same as Busted Blue.
Eh....what thief is carrying vicegrips anyway.

you can drive with your own hand. I;ve done it without my steering wheel. the car actually has enough power steering to move the hub.

also Autolocks ( the ones on the pedal) can be removed. Don't really want to say how because why inform everyone on how. As far as the alarm with the pager goes, It gets annoying and eventually you want to turn it off too. My friend gets freaked out all the time and he went out to check his car 5 times when we were at great america. He got pissed off and he doesn't really use his pager anymore.

If the theives really want your car, they can get it no matter how much security you have. I'm always freaked out when I drive my car. Quick release and autolock and alarm usually does the trick.