PDA

View Full Version : Dash Light Problem

88tandx
04-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Well my 3rd 3g arrived last night, an 89 5 speed dx coupe, and the restoring begins. Swapped over the lx-i alloys and the practically brand new falken azeni's from my 1st totalled sedan. then cleaned it out for a few hours and started to tackle the problems with it.
The dashlight does not come on. The gauge cluster doesnt light up and neither does the hvac controls on the center console and also the trunk light and the dome light dont come on. I figured it was a fuse so I checked the fuse box and the one labeled "inside light" in the engine bay fuse box was blown so i replaced that one. The dome light comes on as does the trunk light but the other lights are still out. The lights in the gauge cluster for the seatbelts, emergency brake, highbeams, turn signals, etc. all work as does the lights on the Recirc and A/C buttons. I havent checked the bulbs but i dont think it could be that b/c the chances of all the lights going out at once are pretty slim. Im gunna check them tommorow but i doubt its that. I didnt see any fuse that said "Dash lights" or "Gauge cluster" or anything like that. Someone told me that the fuse is on the switch and that the switch might be the problem so i guesss ill check that ish tommorow also. hope someone can give some help.

-Joe

mouchyn
04-09-2005, 06:49 PM
my cruise control stopped working over the summer. I couldn't figure the problem out to save my own life. Winter rolled around before I realized my rear defroster didn't work. I checked the fuse for the rear defroster and sure enough, it was blown. I replaced it and my cruise control started working again.

moral of the story: check every since fuse on the car for electrical continuity before ruling out a fuse problem.

Mac
04-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Check fuse #14 (15 amp) in the under the dash fuse panel.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
04-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Your illumination controller may be fried as well. If you drop down the rectangular cover piece above the driver footwell, you'll find the controller screwed to the back of the cover. It is known to go out and cause lighting problems.

syclinsam
04-10-2005, 04:07 PM
i have the same problem with my 86 lxi. offthahook recommended an infuser box.

my question is how compatible is the infuser box and or the illumination controller? Would these parts from other years work? 87, 88, 89?

other possibilities?

again,
no visor / needle lights, no background gauge lights, no climate control lights (except for the push buttons they work fine), no cruise control lights, no clock.

I do have working in dash, turn signals, warning lights, door warning lights. The dome light and the push buttons on the climate control. My exterior lights all work just fine.

I realize some of these may be seperate lines but maybe someone will know how to go about fixing all the lines.

thanks for your help,

sam

88tandx
04-11-2005, 08:23 AM
i checked the switch and its fine. i even put in the switch from my wrecked sedan and still nothing. i hate electrical stuff. i can just tell that this car is going to be a larger than normal pain in the ass.

-joe

Blkblurr
04-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Could be a connector loose on the back of the guage cluster.

johndej
04-11-2005, 08:57 AM
ah, my car has done the same thing for the past year. every light works on the dash but the light to illuminate the speedo and shit. i've checked every fuse and none were blown so i just gave up and have gotten used to it (i tried taping a flash light up there for a while but that didn't work too well). i havn't tried the regulator yet but will as soon as i get a chance.

Blkblurr
04-11-2005, 09:38 AM
It's really easy to take the guage cluster out. That way you can check the bulbs and the connectors. I'll bet it's one or the other since you've eliminated the fuses and the controller.

racerx
04-11-2005, 09:56 AM
I've had the same problems before, with different honda's.

My problem was always the lighting switch. (you know, the switch on the dash column)

I took it out and sprayed the bejesus out of it with electrical parts cleaner, and viola.

Give it a shot; couldn't hurt.

racerx
04-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Oh, one more thing.
I don't know if 3g accords have this relay, but check for the location of a "dash lighting relay" in a manual (chilton, haynes, i dunno).

Usually, they're right behind the lower dash piece (the big plastic panel that sits below the steering wheel and covers all those wires).

It should be attached to the back side. Maybe that thing is blown too, because when I tried replacing it (whilst troubleshooting my problem) the new one fried right in my hand.

I had to bypass the relay and THEN after cleaning my lighting switch did the lights come on.

I would definately look for that. You could put in good lighting switches all day, but if that relay is bad, you're screwed. Let me know.