PDA

View Full Version : Over heat only at idle

1988starter
08-06-2002, 09:46 AM
Well my gf's 86 carb overheats at idle I replaced the cap thermostat and flshed and refilled the system. I am thinking that it might be the swich that turns the fan on so i was going to get this from nopi do you guys think it will do the trick.

http://164.109.57.200/images/SFanSwitch.jpg

it is the one that says thermoswich

http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsppcs&makeid=140&modelid=010&catyear=1986&catid=0085&vTitle=1986%20HONDA%20Accord%20Cooling

bobafett
08-06-2002, 10:42 AM
hey my car does the same thing.. if you figure out that fixes it please post, so i dont want to waste time "trying" to figure it out! :)

anchovies
08-06-2002, 12:08 PM
does the fan come on when u were bleeding the cooling system when about normal operating temperature?

to check the sensors, just use a paper clip or wires to connect the pins together...if the fan comes on then the fan, motor is ok...try a new sensor (it's below the radiator, another is on the thermostate housing)
if the fan does not even come on then its the fan

does you upper and lower rad hoses feel about hte same temperature? does your heater work? it might be a clogged system

1988starter
08-06-2002, 01:03 PM
I have sceen the fan come on and I know the heater works I just think it comes on at damn high temps.

shepherd79
08-06-2002, 01:25 PM
try the switch, if that doesn't work try switching termostats to the one that opens early.

Jareds 89 LX-i
08-06-2002, 01:28 PM
My fan used to wait until the temp gauge was 3/4 the way up before it would kick on. When I did the headgasket I took all the sensors out and cleaned them off real good and got all the crap off. Put it all back together and the fans work flawlessly. They come on and off with the temp gauge right where it's supposed to be and it never goes up. Before this I had replaced the sensor in the bottom of the radiator and it didn't help any, but after I cleaned the sensors in the thermostat housing they started working, so check those out. ;)

1988starter
08-06-2002, 01:28 PM
Yea I will most likely get the swich anyway it id like 7 bucks so what ever and if worse comes to vorse I will hook up the fan to a 12v source that is activated by my ignition.

1988starter
08-06-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Jareds 89 LX-i
My fan used to wait until the temp gauge was 3/4 the way up before it would kick on. When I did the headgasket I took all the sensors out and cleaned them off real good and got all the crap off. Put it all back together and the fans work flawlessly. They come on and off with the temp gauge right where it's supposed to be and it never goes up. Before this I had replaced the sensor in the bottom of the radiator and it didn't help any, but after I cleaned the sensors in the thermostat housing they started working, so check those out. ;)

I will give that a shot first just take off the thersostat housing and clean the inside or what exacly should I do. Well what I mean is what sensors are you talking about exacly.

Jareds 89 LX-i
08-06-2002, 01:49 PM
Ok here's a pic....

http://a5.cpimg.com/image/7B/F3/11776635-23f4-028001E0-.jpg

Ignore the red circle and arrow, that was for another post.

There are 3 sensors in the housing, I believe. The one with the creme colored plug, the one with the green plug, and a little one just a little to the left of the green plug (looking at pic above) with a black cover over the plug (on the side--it's pretty skinny). I just cleaned the whole housing out so I was starting with a nice clean part, but I also took the sensors out indivicually and cleaned them off real good. There was a buildup of some sort all over the part that sticks down into the coolant.

:)

1988starter
08-06-2002, 01:58 PM
thanks man

POS carb
08-06-2002, 07:28 PM
overheat @ idle = fans aren't working, check the sensor on the radiator, i bet it's that. those pos's are so damn unpredictable

1988starter
08-07-2002, 06:40 AM
Well I just thought about those fans and there is powerstaring fluid all over them damn leak well anyway that could have caused the problem I need a day off to tinker.

rocky2
08-07-2002, 02:42 PM
You also could have a bad water pump impeller.

To check: Put on thermastat housing without stat.

Fill with water

Leave radiator cap off
start engine and look down a filled up radiater.Increase RPM's,if theres bigtime bubbles circulateing in there=waterpump:toilet:

ACCORD EX
08-07-2002, 03:18 PM
if non of the above ! so you may be looking @ a cylinder head ! hopefully not ! :(
try that thermostat trick it's really useful !

MIKE