PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Stripped

88tandx
04-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Heres another one of my problems:

I put brand new Bosch sparkplugs in my sedan like 3 days before i totalled it so i figured instead of spending money on a new set, id do the ghetto thing and put em in my new car. Plus they're real nice ones, they're the ones with 4 prongs and that dont require setting. Anyway i swapped all of em over fine except for the last one. The one all the way to the right. The old one came out fine but when i went to put in the newer one, problems followed. At first it went in on a weird angle so i figured the threads didnt catch right so i tried again and the same thing. I looked in the hole and there was some gunk and some metal shaving in the hole. So i put a qtip in there and swabbed out the gunk and metal. tried it again and the same thing happened. after that i got pissed off and really frustrated and started punching things and fucked up my hand. After some icing i went back at it. Same thing. Now it wont even catch at all. So i think maybe its the plug so i try it another hole and it works perfect. I try the plug that was in that hole in the problem hole and i get the same thing, no catching. I tried all the plugs and even the old ones and NOTHING!! A closer inspection of the hole reveals what looks like some stripping of the first few threads. What do I do now? where can i get this fixed and how much is this gunna run me? thanks for any help.

-joe

mouchyn
04-09-2005, 06:57 PM
well, i would very carefully install a heli-coil. google it to learn more about it. It's a common fix for stripped spark plug holes -- especially for aluminum heads.

TTSpider
04-09-2005, 06:59 PM
I agree with the heli-coil idea, The same thing has happened to my head, only on a lesser scale. I was able to get the plug back in but now im afraid to pull it out again

86LXItooFAST4me
04-09-2005, 07:08 PM
if just the first couple of threads are messed up then you can try a spark plug tap. Motor Might makes them, you know the red packaged tools that are labeled "help!" but that is just the one that most auto part stores cell. just go to a part store and ask for a spark plug thread tap tool. BUT, you are more than likely going to put metal shavings in the cylinder if you do this while the head is still on the block. the heli-coils work well also, but you still have to tap the threads out to a bigger size to insert the coil. so either way you are screwed with the metal shavings if you dont take the head off. i took my head off and took it to the shop to get mine repaired.

do good luck man! i say take it to a shop if you want it done right though.

88Accord-DX
04-10-2005, 04:03 AM
I seen this happen before many times.. Here is a easy quik fix, if you don't want to do below.
One way to mess with it is as follows.
get a heli-coil first
get the right size for the heli-coil & tap it out, tap size is little over size of the plug. Heli-coil will screw in it to fit the plug.
get some kind of way to blow out the cylinder after you tap
it out, suction w/ vacuum. Something if anything! Your looking at
cylinder & valve damage if you don't do it.

put the heli-coil in after you do the above.

The way that you might not want the hear is take the head off, that is would be the best way, but the above is a quick fix to the solution. :thumbup:

Should be good to go after that.

Gook luck.

hondamanlxi
04-10-2005, 07:44 AM
those minor metal shavings will just get blown out the exhaust. Still, make some sort of attempt to get the shit out.

mouchyn
04-10-2005, 08:52 AM
those minor metal shavings will just get blown out the exhaust. Still, make some sort of attempt to get the shit out.

this isn't necessarily true. it could score the cylinder walls, jam valve seats, and even melt inside the combustion chamber.

it's also not a good idea to use those bosch platinum plugs. they foul out really easy in honda engines. The best plugs you can get for NA setups is the good ol'e OE replacement NGKs.

88tandx
04-10-2005, 06:49 PM
this heli-coil thing seems like the best bet. as for the metal shavings, im gunna be changing out the motor soon but i still cant afford to fuk up this one right now so i guess im gunna be taking off the head. needs a new gasket anyway. i figures ill take the end of my shopvac and ducttape it to the other end of the spark plug opening so its all airtight and juss run it the entire time im doing the tapping.

as for those spark plugs, the NGK's that were in the coupe and probably hadnt been changed in years were cleaner than the bosch's that were in my sedan for a grand total of 3 days. probably shoulda stuck with those and wouldnt be having this problem in the first place.

thanks for all the advice.

-joe

88Accord-DX
04-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Since your going to crack the head off to heli-coil it, and everything all apart.
It would be a good idea to re-place some parts there. Like a new timing belt & water pump. Look at the timing belt tensioner & see if the bearings are good, re-place it with a new one if you have the $$$. Of corse, you will need new exhuast manifold, & valve cover gasket(s).
*edit* Don't forget to put the #1 Cylinder at TDC before taking the head off. Line up the sprockets to each other.
You can take intake off with the head I beleive. If you want to use spark plug tap like these guys say for couple of threads, that would be good. Be carefull with shavings, might not be much of any.

thegreatdane
04-11-2005, 12:10 PM
I have to agree with 86LXItooFAST, that if it's just the beginning of the thread I would definately just use a spark plug tap. There are ways to tap it without getting metal shavings in the cylinder. Unfortunately I cant remember how right now but I'm sure you'll find it somewhere if you search. I would use the helicoil as my last option.

88Accord-DX
04-11-2005, 09:50 PM
The spark plug tap would work for a quick fix untill he has time to re-place his head gasket. It would also let him be able to drive it. That's a new one on me if you can tap it out without some shavings in the cylinder. It would be minimal if done right.
Spark plug taps don't leave a tapered thead for the 1st few threads like the "original" thread. Everytime you change spark plugs, you have to remember that particular spark plug has been tapped. It is too easy to cross-thread it again if you don't screw the plug in carefully.
I beleive the tap size a 14mm x 1.25 thread for the plug. I beleive a heli-coil is better fix when he changes the head gasket. The head would be off, no chances of shavings damaging components in the cylinder & would be done right without future worries. I added some things to previous post to do when taking the head off. (basics)