PDA

View Full Version : driver's window not going up sometimes

w261w261
04-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Judging from a couple of threads mentioning this subject, I imagine that my window controller is going south. About half the time, when I try to raise the window, I hear a clicking but nothing happens. I have two questions:

1. Is installing a new controller difficult, e.g. if I take the door panel off will the controller be right there to see?

2. I see them on eBay for $10-$20, but I would imagine that these things might not be in much better shape than mine, given their age. Is 16 years (I have an '89) about their life span, and should I spring for a new one (about $115 from a discount internet dealer)? I don't like to spend the money for new, but I don't like taking off that door panel either. The first and last time I've done it I created a small rattle that's still there on cold days.

Thx

Hal

w261w261
04-10-2005, 05:03 AM
And another querstion: has anyone ever taken the cover off one of these controllers? Judging by the clicking sound I hear, I would imagine that there's some contacts in there that might just need to be sanded down. Is the cover sealed with epoxy or something else that makes it difficult to take apart? Thx

w261w261
04-10-2005, 06:59 AM
Moving right along, I dug out a book that I almost forgot I had: "Accord Electrical Troubleshooting Manual 1989" publ. by American Honda. 300 pages of step-by-step explanations of each circuit in the car, plus locations of all connectors and pics of locations. I got it on eBay from Chuck Evans, Newport TN 423-623-8781.

In the book it says of the Window control unit: "Solid-state: Do not check resistance." If nothing in the control unit is going "click," then I assume that the clicking sound that I hear when the window won't go up must be coming from the window motor itself. In the written explanation of how the up-window sequence works, the book says that when the window reaches full-up, the motor stops working, to prevent overheating. I assume that this must be coming from some kind of current-limiting switch, such that when the load begins to increase as the motor stalls, a thermally-activated switch cuts out. Perhaps because of problems in the motor, this is what I hear clicking.

So far, I have been able to get the window to work by pushing the switch over and over. But I feel I'm on borrowed time here. I could get another control unit and throw it in, as I saw a picture of where it's located, and it seems an easy job (once the panel is off). But I'm uneasy about that "click." There shouldn't be one in a solid state unit, right?

Any comments appreciated.

Thx

w261w261
04-12-2005, 04:25 PM
A mechanic at the Honda dealer who remembers these old cars listened to the "click," and said it was coming from the controller unit, which is solid state but also has a mechanical relay inside. Honda list is $150+, but Majestic Honda in R.I. sells all their parts at a pretty good discount. I ordered a new one for $115. The mechanic said that they always had trouble with the controllers failing. His reason: "made in America. If they'd been made in Japan, no problem." I know they're on eBay for 20 bucks, but I really don't want to go into the door again. The last time I did it (cleaned all the switches) I gave the car its only rattle.