PDA

View Full Version : NEED A 88 LX-I EXPERT IN HERE or any help would do

4dr88accord
04-10-2005, 09:39 AM
i got a 88 accord lx-i.. 4 dr.. and after about 3 mins driving my engine light comes on and i get 12 blinks on my ECU witch point to my EGR lift sensor.. how do i come about fixing that.. my EGR valve is good.. clean and moves up n down freely.. and also after the light comes on. my idles goes from 1500-1800rpm back n forth when i'm waiting @ a red light and once it stalled wen i was in the parkin lot waiting ......and its tryied stalling on me couple of times on the road ......I NO MY CAT IS JUNK....would that be the problem? and my O2 sensoers r BOTH shot.. would that be causing it..? and ONES MORE THING.. i get a little starting problem..that i havent had before.. it takes me about 3 "trys" to get the car going .. that only happens sumtimes tho...after a a little while of driving..SUMTIMES.........AND for sum reason i cant find another distributar cap like mine.. all the other ones are round and mine is half round and half square

phrenology
04-10-2005, 10:12 AM
i got a 88 accord lx-i.. 4 dr.. and after about 3 mins driving my engine light comes on and i get 12 blinks on my ECU witch point to my EGR lift sensor.. how do i come about fixing that.. my EGR valve is good.. clean and moves up n down freely.. and also after the light comes on. my idles goes from 1500-1800rpm back n forth when i'm waiting @ a red light and once it stalled wen i was in the parkin lot waiting ......and its tryied stalling on me couple of times on the road ......I NO MY CAT IS JUNK....would that be the problem? and my O2 sensoers r BOTH shot.. would that be causing it..? and ONES MORE THING.. i get a little starting problem..that i havent had before.. it takes me about 3 "trys" to get the car going .. that only happens sumtimes tho...after a a little while of driving..SUMTIMES.........AND for sum reason i cant find another distributar cap like mine.. all the other ones are round and mine is half round and half square

If you can't find a distro-cap then I can rummage through my collection of 88 lxi parts and find one for you. I have old O2 sensors too. I think I might have another working EGR too. PM me if you need parts.

smufguy
04-10-2005, 10:37 AM
round ones are mostly for carbs and the round one with a flat side is usually the Efi distributor with the external ignitor. Bosch makes it and you can find one at Autozone and thats where i got mine. U might have to special order it sometimes.

As for the egr lift sensor. Its weird that it does that. Most likely its not the egr unit itself, it could be the bad solonoid in the emission box (the one with gazzilion vacuum lines). Swap out the solonoid, reset the ecu (pull the ecu fuse under the hood for couple of minutes) and try drving it around. see if it helps. Usually if the egr valve is fine, the solonoid is the culprit.

I suggest that you change things that you are unsure of in your car that might be associated with this problem. like the fuel filter, o2 sensors and such

4dr88accord
04-11-2005, 06:49 AM
i got a new fuel filter and my fuel system cleaned out about 2 months ago.. i dont thing that should be the problem.. but i have truble starting the car after its been runnin for a while..and my engine temp. gauge wont go higher ther jus above the "C" i no its not my thrmostat..cuz i have a new 1 and i'm guessing either my sensor is shit OR its cloged.. and also w/e i left my hood after driving.. ITS HOT under there and still my temp gauge would be around "c"

Vinny
04-11-2005, 06:56 AM
You need to use a vacuum gauge to check the EGR. Hook it up and see if the valve hyolds vaccum. If it doesnt hold steady its bad. The idle increase is normal after you get a code for the EGR

As far as the o2 sensors go if the cat is bad it will foul the sensors and vice versa

as far as the cap goes try part numbers
GP Sorensen 225124
Beck/Arnley 1746921
Niehoff Ignition WA496F

shepherd79
04-11-2005, 10:04 AM
I had the same problem when i got my 86 LXI.
I replaced 3 diff EGR sensors, all 3 of them were good. but my ECU was telling me they all broke. So i just replaced the black box under the hood. inside the box there is EGR control solenoid valve. try replacing that.
and make sure you reset ECU fuses #10 and 11 under the hood.

4dr88accord
04-11-2005, 07:27 PM
GOT my dis cap.. good thing.. I GOT STARTING PROBLEM....EEERRRR.. i drove bout 20km's after work then came home.. and about a hour later i had to run to corner store lik 500M from my house car started without problems ... but wen i was trying to get back the damn thing wouldent srat took me a while and alot of battrey to get it started.. WUTS RONGGGG??

AccordEli
04-28-2005, 06:53 PM
I am having similar issues. Ever get this resolved?

Thanks,

-Eli

shepherd79
04-28-2005, 07:48 PM
check your ECU for codes?

AccordEpicenter
04-28-2005, 07:53 PM
i run with NONE of the oxygen sensors hooked up and i rarely ever get a cel...

smufguy
04-29-2005, 08:28 AM
okay lemme review this once again.

What kind of starting problem do you have?

1. hard starting when cold or moist weather?

2. hard starting when warm weather?

3. Hard starting despite the weather condition, engine turns over, but does not catch on?

Solution

1. Usually this is associated with bad ignition plugs. When they are corroded and have deposits on them, they just wont catch on. When the weather is warm, they will catch on after like 3 or 4 tries.

2. Main relay related. Resolder the main relay and u should be fine. If this was ur case, the car wont turn over at all, since the main relay controls the starter too. all u hear is a tick and it does nothing after that.

3. Check your fuel system. See if the fuel filter has been changed and also check the injectors if they are leaking. CHeck the connection of the resistor box. WHen the engien is turning over, the ignition system is okay and the car wont catch on, its the fuel system. either the injectors are not firing, cause their ground is bad, or the resistor box is fucked up (or its connection) or ur fuel delivery to the injectors is not enough, which is the result of a clogged fuel filter or a bad pump.