PDA

View Full Version : How much time to do some repairs...

jidai
04-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Just picked up an '88 LX-i Hatchback for a song. It's got a couple problems and I'm just wondering how long and how much I should expect to spend on it:

-Replace all 4 spings (does this mean I should also replace the shocks?)
-New Clutch
-Replace the exhaust (I think just the main cat back pipe, muffler and such are fine

Any suggestions are appreciated. And it's still not too late to back out of the deal so that may end up being the better option.

superguillermo
04-12-2005, 04:26 PM
It all depends what you level of skill is....and the tools you have. To replace springs...junkyard $60. Shocks (usually all you need to replace are the shocks and not the springs)...new $120. All this can be done in one day or about 4-5 hours.
For the clutch...take it to a shop. For the exhaust...junkyard. OR you can always upgrade the all these componenets to performance aftermarket.
If you're buying the car for less than 2 grand....buy it. Sounds like its in good shape.

jidai
04-12-2005, 04:32 PM
My roommate is a mechanic who went to school for auto mechanics and also works at a major auto parts store and gets 25% discount. So assume the skill level is high. I'm thinking of going for aftermarket stuff just because I don't want to throw a bunch of rusty junkyard stuff on my car. How much should I expect to pay for springs, clutch, and exhaust stuff?

Also, does the LX-i Hatchback differ in parts from other 3rd gen accords in the respect of these three parts. I know I have to get a clutch and exhaust made for the 2.0L engine but do I need to look for specifics for the LX-i Hatchback?

Oh, and the guy wants $400-$800 for the car since he's my friend and feels bad. The reason for the range is because we weren't sure how much parts would be and thus what price would be fair. Any thoughts on this?

superguillermo
04-12-2005, 04:48 PM
All the parts on the hatchback are the same as other LX-i models. If you want performance parts and still get that 25% discount...you need to pay a visit to the store where he works at. Its all going to depend on what your budget is like...junkyard parts aren't always rusty and worn down...sand it, paint it, and new again.

shepherd79
04-13-2005, 03:29 AM
My roommate is a mechanic who went to school for auto mechanics and also works at a major auto parts store and gets 25% discount. So assume the skill level is high. I'm thinking of going for aftermarket stuff just because I don't want to throw a bunch of rusty junkyard stuff on my car. How much should I expect to pay for springs, clutch, and exhaust stuff?

Also, does the LX-i Hatchback differ in parts from other 3rd gen accords in the respect of these three parts. I know I have to get a clutch and exhaust made for the 2.0L engine but do I need to look for specifics for the LX-i Hatchback?

Oh, and the guy wants $400-$800 for the car since he's my friend and feels bad. The reason for the range is because we weren't sure how much parts would be and thus what price would be fair. Any thoughts on this?

if he wants $400 minimum for that car, he is not your friend. that is a lot of work and a lot of money to spend on a car.
everything can be fixed, but you have to consider the cost of the parts and labor you or someone else will put it.
i wouldn't pay more than $200 for it. In this condition, you are buying a shell.

FyreDaug
04-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Well maybe not 200. If the body is in good condition and the motor doesnt have too much milage Id say 400 would be fair. After you put more into it, it will be worth maybe 1800 assuming everything is fine and up to smog regulations (or close to it, to run right) Your buddy is gonna have to take a hit on the price unless he fixes it up before selling it. You always take a hit when you sell knowing it needs repairs.

carotman
04-14-2005, 02:21 PM
The most important thing is the body. Don't spend too much cash on a rusted frame. You can always get deals on the shocks/springs on ebay. Exhaust is not too expensive neither are the clutch.

The major problem is the time that the mechanic will spend on the car. You're takling about close to a 10H work here if not more. The whole suspension will be seized for sure and this takes time to cut the bolts and nuts... plus you got to replace them after.

88Accord-DX
04-14-2005, 11:21 PM
how long and how much I should expect to spend on it:

-Replace all 4 spings (does this mean I should also replace the shocks?)
-New Clutch
-Replace the exhaust (I think just the main cat back pipe, muffler and such are fine

I don't know if your mechanic friend is helping you with this car, but....

You should replace the shocks & struts if you going to re-place the springs. (since you got it apart) That will take a minimum of 7-8 hours, cause I bet your working with jack stands. Time will be saved if you have air tools & nice lift. Add some more time if the bolts on the bottom of the back shock & front struts are seized up.

The clutch will take about 4-5 hours,(moving at a nice speed) you need to pull both axles out & I re-commend re-surfacing the flywheel.

I'm not giving a time frame on exhuast, some bolts don't come loose & have to be cut off. 3 hours (guess-ta-mate)

Like carotman said, find a deal on springs and shocks on e-bay.
The money part depends on what you get & if you pay someone to do it.

snow_man_20
04-15-2005, 04:52 AM
1. If you can get if for $400-$500.
2. You can do ALL the work yourself.
3. Int. body and frame are all in good shape.

if all three are all good, i would go for it.